shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! I chipped my platinum e-ring

diamond_halo

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I dropped my platinum engagement ring on a granite floor after cleaning it, and I noticed that a corner of the halo (which is octagonal) is chipped. I am attaching a photo here. Is this something that can be fixed or buffed out?

Thanks!

ring_chip.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, I am always so afraid of dropping a diamond or ring in the bathroom! I am sorry that happened! Is it just metal that is chipped or diamonds, too? I am not sure if anyone will be able to tell from that one picture, so you might have to take it to a jeweler that has a great custom bench to see if they can fix it.

diamond_halo

Rough_Rock
It's just the metal that chipped - none of the diamonds in the melee. I'm just wondering how this can possibly be buffed out, though, considering that that little corner is missing. It's not a dent. :errrr: :blackeye:

crazydoglady

Rough_Rock
I'm so sorry that happened!! I just dropped a ring on the bathroom floor 2X while trying to take a picture for this site!! It was fine, but scary, so I feel very drawn to this topic! :o

I don't know anything about having your regular jeweler buff it, sorry. However, I have an antique ring that I need refurbished, so I've been doing a lot of research about platinum repairs lately. I've seen totally amazing things done to augment worn off and broken corners (not just re-tipping prongs), which might be a similar process to this. Everything I've seen looks phenomenal and totally seamless, so I know that it can look good as new again. My comment is probably useless because I don't know how long that takes or how much it costs, but just in case you are freaking out and thought it was horrible situation, I just wanted to say it will definitely look good as new again.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have zero knowledge about metal work. It seems like more metal maybe could be added and then buffed down. Jewelers size rings up and sometimes have to add metal, so I am going to be optimistic that it can be repaired! I surely hope a jeweler will see your post and be able to give you a professional opinion!

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You can't chip platinum, it's way too soft and malleable for that to happen. It does have a dented/flattened edge on the halo. There are several way to fix it, depending on which way the metal went. Sometimes these things can be burnished back into place, but if the dent it too large for that, then some platinum can be added to the area with a laser or pulse arc welder and filed, smoothed down to the original profile. The cost for welding material on would be in the $100 to $200 range I'd think, while burnishing, if possible would be half that much. Laser welders are the thing right now for this kind of stuff, so call around and find someone who does this and you're good to go.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results