shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! I chipped my beautiful diamond. What should I do next?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

catdogtap

Rough_Rock
I have a 1.01 carat, brilliant cut stone, VS1 and G color. It is classified as a very good to excellent cut. It is set in a platinum six prong band. I have worn this diamond for 7 years. And I think I ruined it last night, when I was carrying a box through a doorway and knocked my hand into the doorframe.

There is a very obvious chip on the table, as well as the pavilion of the stone.

My questions are: what can be done to this stone to repair it? Will my insurance (jewelers mutual) cover a replacement? If so, how is that done (do they write a check to cover a new purchase or do they require an exact substitution (same cut, grade, etc))? If the stone is repaired, will its value be diminished?

Please help! I'm still in shock that I did this to my ring!

Thanks very much.:errrr:

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to hear about your mishap, Catdogtap.

what can be done to this stone to repair it

The stone should be examined by an expert.

Will my insurance (jewelers mutual) cover a replacement? If so, how is that done (do they write a check to cover a new purchase or do they require an exact substitution (same cut, grade, etc))?

They should according to appraised value. Details should be outlined in your policy. You have to call them to find it out.

If the stone is repaired, will its value be diminished?

Yes because if stone will be repolished it will loose weight.

curious

Rough_Rock
I chipped my stone also when I fell on it.

My insurance company replaced the entire ring. Now I have an even better and more beautiful stone than I had before.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We can appraise your diamond and your situation without any big problem. A replacement from Jeweler's Mutual may be worked out though our services as we are a Jeweler's Mutual client, too.

Possibly the damage is not severe, but it can be handled. Your problem is not the first one like this. It happens a few times a year....Don't blame yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results