shape
carat
color
clarity

Help !! I am confused

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

csriram45

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Ideally I would like to get a 0.8 - 1ct diamond (round, princess) which looks clean and good with Sparkle. I do not care about the certificate as much as long as my wife would be happy. She will be as long as diamond is eye clean with sparkle.

I am very confused on what diamond to chose. Since I can not see the diamond I am worried on how to make sure that it looks good?

On PS search I see that i can get a 1ct for under 3K but how good are these? Would people here be able to recommend few based on their experience? Am I being even reasonable in thinking I can get such a diamond?

I was also looking at AGS H&A in the range of 0.6 - 1 ct and they range from 2K and above.

Can one really make a difference between a H&A and a non H&A? Similarly how different are an AGS certifed compared to say EGL?

Where do I strike a balance?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First thing, a round at the same weight will appear larger than a princess, so I''d go for the round. I don''t think most of us would be able to see the difference between a H&A and a near H&A with our naked eye. But the better the optical symmetry, the more beautiful the stone. So I would recommend concentrating on either AGS0 or GIA Excellent. And if you deal with a vendor who has an upgrade policy, you can always trade the stone in later for a larger one if you''d like to. EGL certs aren''t always as reliable and those stones usually aren''t eligible for trade-in.

I''ll look and see what I can find in your price range. And welcome!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome!

Firstly CUT is the all important factor regarding a diamond's sparkle, and it is the most important consideration. It can take a while to learn what to look for in a round shape ( easier than fancies) but many online vendors can make purchasing much easier by being expert and having all the cut info you need to make a great choice.

Colour and clarity, a G or H and an SI clarity if eyeclean will get you size as long as the cut is good, and you will still have a very white and clean diamond. Polish and symmetry - good and above will look the same to the naked eye. You could shoot for very good and above, if you want a superideal cut then ex ex or ideal/ ideal is what to look for with the tops in finish. Grading reports - GIA and AGS are said to be the most reliable and the industry standard. It depends on the eyes telling the difference between H&A versus non, a well cut diamond can be just as beautiful.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/26/2007 8:11:07 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Okay, here would be my choice in that price/size range:

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-191603.htm (.816 H SI1 $3050. with PS/wire discount)
emthup.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi cs,

First, you need to decide which shape you want, they are two entirely different looks.

ds is right in that rounds face up larger, but size isn''t everything.

She also picked out a great stone for you, and that vendor also carrys finely cut Princess.

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
Just to let you know too well cut rounds look larger than they are. I have a .83ct and EVERY jewelry store I have been in, even really nice ones have been surprised when I tell them mine is under 1ct :)

csriram45

Rough_Rock
ok so. round it is... and thanks for the suggestion. Would love to see more to have few choices.... this place is awesome

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''d love to help, can you tell us your top budget for the stone? color, clarity?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The stone Diamond Seeker has given you is BEAUTIFUL. I would take that and run with it. Plus Whiteflash is having a deal... they will give you a box of handmade chocolates with your purchase... and you will get entered to win one of three bellerina (SO BEAUTIFUL) pendants that they are giving away! You can''t lose.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to mention that you have to be very careful on SI2''s to be sure they are eyeclean. I also would want to know if you could see the inclusions from the side.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/26/2007 5:23:32 PM
Author: jayrenay9
Here''s a .9 AGS G/SI2. Not sure what your top dollar amount is, but with the PS discount/wire transfer, it should be close to the others posted.

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-136245.htm
I''d choose this one over the James Allen stone because I can''t see the inclusions in the magnified photo, plus it is a good bit bigger. Incidentally, you look at the diameter measurement to compare the visual size. I''d just make sure there are no feathers that open on the girdle. If not, this might be a good choice.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
those links are the same diamond.
the trick is to NOT hit the ''magic'' carat marks
2.gif
because the price increases substntially when you do. you want to get as much as you can dimension wise (in mm) without hitting those carat marks.
of course there are those that feel they need to get the certain carat weights, no matter what the size and that''s fine too.
2.gif

i prefer to get good size (not just weight!) for my $$ but you may feel differently.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the one Ellen just posted a lot. But the one you linked on the WF site is a virtual diamond, meaning it is not one they actually have in the store. When you search on their site, only click on A Cut Above or Expert Selection. That way you are looking at almost all ideal cut diamonds.

csriram45

Rough_Rock
ok that makes sense. I am beginning to understand the searches better... I agree that the trick is not to hit the magic number as the price goes up significantly. Actually the more I think that 0.9 Ct at WF and to be the best choice followed by the JA and GOG ones... Keep them coming as it will help me decide better.
Thanks so much

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results