shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! having second thoughts...

debob

Rough_Rock
Hi all. Complete newbie seeking thoughts on this diamond that I purchased for an engagement ring from a local jeweler that I've worked with before. I don't have a pic, but these are the numbers:
2.23 carats, F color, VS1, excellent cut, polish and symmetry
Table % is 56.5, CA 35.9, PA 40.6, Depth% is 62.8, medium to Slightly thick girdle
Cut Advisor Score 1.8
Factor Grade
Light Return: Very Good
Fire: Excellent
Scintillation: Very Good
Spread: Very Good
HCA Score : 1.8 - Excellent - within FIC range
Stone was $1825
TIA. Any comment is greatly appreciated.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the report number?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

debob

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I'm going to look at another stone now. I suspect that my jeweler isn't thrill with me. Can you give me an idea of what the cut problem is?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! I'm going to look at another stone now. I suspect that my jeweler isn't thrill with me. Can you give me an idea of what the cut problem is?

Hello and welcome to PriceScope, debob!

The crown angle is overly steep and there's potential twist in the pavilion.

These are the areas I'm most concerned about:

Screenshot_20230303-173059-888.png

Those circled areas are spots of moderate light leakage, which will result in a bit of dullness and sleepiness.

That being said, it seems that the rotational video may not be your diamond, but is this one instead (the image before the video loads):

Screenshot_20230303-173908-109.png

If that is your diamond, then there are still some areas of may be slightly pavilion twist and the optics are a bit off due to the steeper crown angle. I also see some CVD graining happening, which can cause light scattering and a hazy appearance in certain lighting conditions.

Please have a look at this education page showing what ideal proportions are:

My personal recommendations for ranges would be:

Pavilion angle: 40.6-40.8°
Crown angle: 34-35°
Table width: 54-56% (57-58% OK)
Overall depth: 61-62.5% (give or take a little, depending on how the other proportions shake out)
Crown height: 15% or more
Stars: around 50%
Lowers: 75-77% (up to 80% OK)

Last edited:

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I hate to scare someone about such a big and important purchase, but that is not a very good looking diamond. The price is really really low if that's a natural diamond - which makes me think it might look even worse in person. If that's your budget, I bet we could find you an AWESOME lab diamond

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results