shape
carat
color
clarity

help!!! H, VVS2 vs. F, VS2

andkam808

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Before shopping around, I was into the novelty of having a "colorless" diamond. but now i found an H with excellent cut. The H also stands out to the naked eye with its cut since its table is larger, despite being only being just 0.02 ct larger! They are virtually the same price.

I am narrowing down to two loose diamonds:

Diamond #1:
Color: H
VVS2
Excellent Cut
Excellent Polish
Excellent Symmetry

Diamond #2
Color: F
VS2
Very Good Cut
Very Good Polish
Excellent Symmetry

thanks for your help!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
With cut being equal, I would pick F, VS2. However, we do not have enough information about the cut of these two diamonds. Do you have the full stats or the GIA reports?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you please post all the measurements of both stones (diameter, crown angle, pavilion angle, table, girdle, etc.)? Are they GIA certs? If I knew nothing else and had to choose one, I'd choose excellent cut. But we really need more information to be sure.

(slg, didn't see your post until after i posted!)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto the PPs, the information you posted is not nearly enough for us to judge.

andkam808

Rough_Rock
they are both GIA cert. I just requested more info on the measurements. I will post ASAP. thanks!

andkam808

Rough_Rock
Hey folks, here are the measurements I got back from the jeweler. So yeah, the diameter is 0.2 more in the first diamond, which was pretty noticeable.

Both diamonds are GIA certified.

Diamond #1:
.73 5.82 x 5.84 x 3.52 ex ex ex H vvs2

Diamond #2:
.71 5.63 x 5.70 x 3.58 vg ex ex F vs2

thanks for your input!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
do you have the GIA report number, or table/depth/crown/pavilion/lower girdle?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
slg47|1296957922|2844473 said:
do you have the GIA report number, or table/depth/crown/pavilion/lower girdle?

Hi Andkam and welcome!

If you could get the above info such as the report number, we can look the other info we need up that way please.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd want to get the best cut possible and would seek out an F VS2. I wouldn't pay extra for a VVS2 unless I was hunting out an older-cut/vintage ring/stone...for a modern round brilliant, there are enough to choose from to find the right stone.

rangerd

Rough_Rock
F to H, you'll probably notice it even when not next to better diamonds, I'd go for the F.

lovemydiamond

Rough_Rock
I am not an expert of diamonds. I just purchased a few diamonds myself before. The F seems to be a "very good" cut. For GIA diamonds, the best cut grade would be "excellent." I personally wouldn't consider a very good cut diamond for an engagement ring (might be fine for a pendant). For the F diamond, the VVS clarity is a bit overkill though. I usually feel it is a waste of money to pursue a clarity this high. As long as the diamond is an eye-clean under natural sunlight when I hold the diamond close to my eyes, I am even fine with a SI2 (it is just me though). If you have to choose between the two, I suggest the one with better cut.

LMD

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
andkam808|1296956725|2844452 said:
Hey folks, here are the measurements I got back from the jeweler. So yeah, the diameter is 0.2 more in the first diamond, which was pretty noticeable.

Both diamonds are GIA certified.

Diamond #1:
.73 5.82 x 5.84 x 3.52 ex ex ex H vvs2

Diamond #2:
.71 5.63 x 5.70 x 3.58 vg ex ex F vs2

thanks for your input!

We need to know the crown and pavilion angles, and the table and depth percentages.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
Everything being equal, the F VS2.

But cut would be the most important, so whichever has the best cut between the two would be the winner.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results