shape
carat
color
clarity

Help - Great Deal on a 2ct (I think) - How's the cut??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JBG

Rough_Rock
Hi. I have a friend whose mother is a jeweler and has given me a special deal as a favor. I know the price is great, but the cut has me a bit concerned. I don't really want to spend $$$$$ more, but I also don't want to end up with a bad diamond:GIA
Carets - 2.00
Depth - 59.5%
Table - 65%
Girdle - Med to thick Faceted.
Culet - Small
Polish - Good
Symetry - Fair
Clarity - VS-1
Color - H
Fluor - NoneDeal $14,500 with Platinum Tiffany Setting.Thanks for the help.....

Joel

Rough_Rock
Hi JBG,
This doesn't look like a favor to me! This stone is very poor quality. Your best bet would be to read the tutorial offered here and elsewhere and then you'll understand what a mistake you would've been making if you had bought this stone. Educate yourself and focus on cut if you want a beautiful stone. Size means nothing if it's not a well cut stone.
For the kind of $ you're looking to spend you can get a gorgeous stone. Good luck in your hunt!Joel

JBG

Rough_Rock
Thanks Guys.
I have dropped the deal and am well on my way looking now at a few 1.9ct VS-2 G stones with much better cuts.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
In fairness to your freinds Mum, you are in here with a bunch of the worlds leading diamond cut experts.
Poor lady is probably completely unaware of the radical advances that have been made in this area in the past 2 years, and it aint her fault.

jamesd

Shiny_Rock
Well, the price is good compared to others of similar description, particularly considering that it is a 3d store, so that part of the deal is right.BUt the cut... odds are against it looking very good compared to others. Worth comparing to cuts which can be expected to look better just in case the numbers aren't giving an accurate picture but don't expect to find that the most attractive deal.For a deal, take a look at the 1.8-2.1 carat range and cuts which score better on the cut advisor. Compare that one to one with a good score and see which you prefer. No problem finding vendors who will let you examine goods from an online purchase in person. For the easy way to find something to compare it with use the search by visual quality and use your price as a guide to select a diamond with a cut score of 3 or better. Let the vendor know what you're being offered and tell them you do want to compare the two before making your purchase decision. H or I VS2 around 1.8-2.02 looks likely to find you a more attractive diamond within the same price range.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results