shape
carat
color
clarity

Help googie find a wedding ring

googie

Rough_Rock
Hey guys, its been a while but last time you guys were very helpful. I need some help with a wedding ring. We are trying to get a 5 stone 1 ct ring with platinum setting. We like the setting on this ring but the stones are 1.5ct: http://www.jamesallen.com/wedding-and-anniversary/Ladies-Diamond-Rings/ring/item_493-1060.asp
We asked them for an estimate for the same setting but with 1 ct of stones and they quoted me $4,400. This seems high considering we are going down to 1 ct. it might be because its not one of their standard rings?? Does anyone know any other sites where I could get a similar ring with 1 ct of stones?
By the way her existing engagement ring is a Round, 1.86, H, VS2, ideal cut, HCA score: 1.5, with tiffany setting. If anyone has any other ideas for a ring that would suit this size stone with this setting please let me know. I was hoping to get it for $3,500. I saw this one for $3,025. It has all the right stuff except we don't like the look of the setting much. http://www.jamesallen.com/wedding-and-anniversary/Ladies-Diamond-Rings/ring/item_63-269.asp

Thanks guys

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First of all, 20 pointers set in the basket setting would very likely cause damage to your engagement ring setting. You'd have to have the lowest possible setting, and as far as I know, that would be Memoire. Tiffany doesn't stock a 5 stone ring with 20 pointers, but theirs are set low as well. If you get a 20 point band, she will have to wear a plain spacer band between her e-ring and diamond wedding band to prevent damage.

I greatly prefer 8 to 10 point diamond bands with diamond e-rings from about 1.5 cts to 2.5 cts or even greater. This size compliments the e-ring but doesn't take over. Most people here wear the larger 5 stone bands as stand alone rings on their other hand or as an alternative to the wedding set. I'll try to find some other examples for you as well.

Here is a 7.6mm diamond with a 10 point band:

New Rings 039.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, scroll down to the pictures with diamond wedding bands on the link below. sna77's wife originally wore her Tiffany eternity band with 15 pointers with her 2.3 ct. e-ring. After a couple of years, she discovered that she had chunks missing from her diamond! The band had apparently hit against it and chipped the diamond! Thankfully it was insured!

So sna chose a new diamond and they purchased a thin Tiffany diamond band to go with the e-ring and she now wears the band of .15's on the right hand.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/rockytalky/40k-budget-find-me-a-diamond-t168853-360.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/rockytalky/40k-budget-find-me-a-diamond-t168853-360.html[/URL]

Tiffany also has a 7 stone band with 13 point stones, but that one probably would require a spacer band. They have one with 8 pointers, and that one is low enough to wear as long as the e-ring diamond is not set ultra-low.

Here is a picture taken with a phone of the band with 8 point diamonds and a 1.58 ct e-ring:

7 stone, 8 pts., .56cts.jpg

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
IMO, I would plan to wear a spacer no matter the size of the diamonds you're looking at. There are very thin ones available on Etsy. In my experience, any wedding band can cause wear to the engagement ring, but this is obviously more "dangerous" with a diamond band against the e-ring.

You might also consider ID Jewelry. Here's a recent example of a 5-stone band. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/idj-5-stone-ring-0-75tcw-4-prong-pictures.163520/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/idj-5-stone-ring-0-75tcw-4-prong-pictures.163520/[/URL] I personally really like the u-shaped settings from IDJ, too.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
Tiffany is overpriced. Their quality is the same or worse than you can get with PS recommended vendors.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not believe you can get these rings from a PS vendor. The Tiffany rings are set lower than any from PS vendors and allow the rings to be worn without spacers. Same with Memoire, but Memoire has the closed basket rather than the open baskets. I have the Tiffany Legacy band and while it might cost more than an imitation, I just haven't seen an imitation with equal quality other than those made by Victor Canera, Steven Kirsch, and Leon Mege. And theirs aren't cheap, either.

Yes, there is a price premium for the Tiffany brand just as there is for other high end brands. But you can't get that ring you just linked at a PS vendor, that's the only problem. Just FYI, my e-ring is a Tiffany repro and my diamond is an ideal cut stone and I consider is equal in quality to Tiffany. So I definitely save money when possible. But I and others have determined that the Tiffany bands are worth it because we can't get the same thing elsewhere. I found Tiffany's the very best place to try on bands with my ring, also.

If you eventually get a large 5 stone band as a standalone ring, then absolutely get that from a PS vendor because the height won't be a factor.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
googie|1339869800|3217758 said:

It is hard to say. The thing I dislike on this one compared to the Tiffany band is that the Tiffany has the shank right at the height of the stones whereas on this one the part with the stones sticks up higher than the shank that joins it. Do you know what I mean?

Here's a good example of where the stones are set practically as low as the shank itself:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TIFFANY-CO-Shared-Setting-Sapphire-Diamond-Platinum-Band-Ring-/170861013068?pt=Designer_Jewelry&hash=item27c81c284c#ht_2106wt_922

When the section with the stones sticks up higher, it is more likely to do damage to the e-ring and also would not be as comfortable when it turns slightly on the finger.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Are you willing to go second hand? I have found many incredible 5 stone bands on ebay for a much lower price. I picked up a few myself over the years and love them. I used to think I only want brand new but since then ... I have learnt that my second hand jewelry is no different than my brand new ones.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
True, in fact my 1 ct. 5 stone band came from ebay. And on that same note, most of the Tiffany bands can be bought on ebay as well. I realize many people would want new for a wedding band, though.

googie

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1339877942|3217828 said:
googie|1339869800|3217758 said:

It is hard to say. The thing I dislike on this one compared to the Tiffany band is that the Tiffany has the shank right at the height of the stones whereas on this one the part with the stones sticks up higher than the shank that joins it. Do you know what I mean?

Here's a good example of where the stones are set practically as low as the shank itself:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TIFFANY-CO-Shared-Setting-Sapphire-Diamond-Platinum-Band-Ring-/170861013068?pt=Designer_Jewelry&hash=item27c81c284c#ht_2106wt_922

When the section with the stones sticks up higher, it is more likely to do damage to the e-ring and also would not be as comfortable when it turns slightly on the finger.

Thank you diamondseeker2006!. The information you provided, and the guys before you, is invaluable. It amazes me how powerful the internet is sometimes (and by 'internet' I mean the other people plugged into it).
I always start off my searches with price and value in mind but with guidance I usually end up heading straight for quality and functionality. I am now leaning more and more towards the tiffany. I am sure some people will still think they are overrated and overpriced but it seems to me from the feedback that they know how important quality and craftsmanship are. The same thing happened when I was searching for the engagement diamond and the end result (albeit with guidance from this site) was a beautiful rock, that, to this day garners a ton of attention. Much love to all you happy helpers. P.S. I just came back from a lovely early fathers day dinner and I might have had a tad bit too much wine.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results