shape
carat
color
clarity

Help - GIA, Vendor, and Cutadvisor Rate Cut Differently

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cruzan

Rough_Rock
Thanks first for your help.

I found what I think is a good deal on a nice diamond from a reputable, large internet vendor. It''s table=57%, depth=61.7 crown angle=33.5, pavillion angle=41, no culet, 6.56x6.61x4.06mm. The vendor has it listed as Ideal Cut, I checked the GIA report and it says VG with symmetry and polish VG. Hmmm. Size is 1.08, VS2, color I, with strong Floresence (which I think may be a plus).

I checked it on Cutadvisor and it scored 1.2 with Excellent in all but spread which is Very Good. I went on GIA''s site and tried their facetware estimator and found that the girdle size of thin to thick (faceted) is the difference between very good and excellent - looks like thick isn''t good.

Please let me know your opinions on how this stone will look and what I should do. I can''t understand what the cut really is and how much difference it makes.

Thanks

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I''m sure one of the PSers with experience will chime in but I can tell you that strong blue Fluor. is great. I have it and makes my H colored stone really white to the eye! Gl and I hope someone will give you some advice soon

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
First, I would forget about the vendor-rating. It is highly personal, and it is unfortunately unclear what it is based upon. For sure, it is not based upon the GIA-report.

The GIA-report is the most authentic piece of information. The VG-cut-grade for the girdle is kind of confirmed by the HCA, although the HCA is extremely strict in its spread-rating.

Next step would be to get pictures, preferably of ideal-scope and ASET, possibly of H&A.

Live long,

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/17/2009 7:35:10 AM
Author: Paul-Antwerp
First, I would forget about the vendor-rating. It is highly personal, and it is unfortunately unclear what it is based upon. For sure, it is not based upon the GIA-report.

The GIA-report is the most authentic piece of information. The VG-cut-grade for the girdle is kind of confirmed by the HCA, although the HCA is extremely strict in its spread-rating.

Next step would be to get pictures, preferably of ideal-scope and ASET, possibly of H&A.

Live long,
Ditto Paul, if you could get ASET and or IS images that would be a big help.

cruzan

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your suggestions, I''ll ask for the reports.

If the stone costs less because the girdle is thick instead of medium, then it may be a good way to get a better price on an excellent cut?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/17/2009 10:09:11 PM
Author: cruzan
Thanks for your suggestions, I''ll ask for the reports.

If the stone costs less because the girdle is thick instead of medium, then it may be a good way to get a better price on an excellent cut?
It depends on all the other proportions of the diamond and how much of the girdle average actually is thick.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results