shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP! GESMSTONE BUSINESS - How to get it up and running

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

queengem09

Rough_Rock
GREETINGS

I AM GEMMOLOGY STUDENT SEEKING TO GET INTO THE BUSINESS OF BUYING A SELLING GEMSTONES INTERNATIONALLY POST GRADUATION.

I AM SEEKING GUIDANCE, ADVICE, AND/OR TIPS AS TO HOW I MAY GET STARTED AND RUNNING.

I WOULD LIKE TO CONFESS THAT I AM QUITE IGNORANT AS TO THE WIDE SCOPE OF SUCH A BUSINESS AND AM SEEKING AS MUCH INFORMATION AS POSSIBLE.

SOME QUESTIONS BUT NOT LIMITED TO ARE:

HOW MUCH MONEY WOULD BE NEEDED TO START UP?

WHAT DOCUMENT ARE NEED, IF ANY, WHEN TRAVELLING WITH GEMSTONES?

ARE THERE ANY GRANTS OR LOANS OFFERED BY GEMMOLOGICAL INSTITUTES, COLLEGES, OR ASSOCIATION?

HOW DO I GO ABOUT FINDNG BUYERS OF ROUGH AND CUT STONE? ESPECIALLY INTERNATIONALLY?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome!

I don''t have the knowledge to answer any of your questions regrettably but some should be along later who can give you some advice!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about asking your career guidance office or alumni association?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2009 9:48:23 AM
Author: Harriet
What about asking your career guidance office or alumni association?
Good idea.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lorelei,
Who or what''s in your new avatar?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2009 9:55:53 AM
Lorelei,
LOL!! Its Andy Pandy and Looby Loo, two characters from a popular childrens TV show created in the 1950''s!

queengem09

Rough_Rock
APART FROM MY OWN INTEREST. SEEKING INFORMATION ON MY CAREER GOALS IS ACTUALLY AN ASSIGNMENT GIVEN TO ME. THE OBJECTION OF THIS ASSIGNMENT TO RESEARCH OUTSIDE OF THE SCHOOL, START NETWORKING AND GET INTO THE INDUSTRY.

JUST SEEKING SOME OUTSIDE INFORMATION, ADVICE, TIPS, SUCCESS STORIES AND HELPFUL LINKS

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 9:57:46 AM
Author: Lorelei

Lorelei,
LOL!! Its Andy Pandy and Looby Loo, two characters from a popular childrens TV show created in the 1950''s!
Looby Loo? Haha!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
As far as documentation and licences for exporting/importing, each country has its own rules and restrictions - try the local consulate/embassies for details or there is some info on the Internet.

Funds for set up - that depends on what you want to deal in, what level market you are aiming at and what sales channels you have already. You don''t want to be sitting on a load of stock that isn''t selling or that isn''t desirable. Are you going to sell online or B&M, who are your competitors, what are you offering that is better/different?

Personally, and from experience, I would go and work for someone else for a few years to learn - you get one sort of education from a gemmology course (I''m doing the FGA myself) and quite another from working in the field/trade (I spent 2 years working as a designer/buyer for a big jewellery company).

For finding dealers etc - going to the country you want to buy from, meeting the mine owners and dealers is one way of doing it, otherwise through personal introductions from people in the business or contacts made whilst working for others.

I don''t know of any grants available for business start-ups. I''m in the UK and here there are organisations that you can approach (and there used to be banks...) but you would need to provide them with a full business plan and demonstrate that your business will be viable and profit making.

Above all, its a competitive field, contacts and reputation are everything - and it''s not something I would advise going into in the middle of a world-wide recession. You''d be far better to work for an existing company right now.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock

Lorelei,
Sorry, don''t mean to thread jack, but Lorelei that picture takes me back! But it was showing in the UK in the 60''s. I didn''t see it in the fifties OK?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2009 12:19:45 PM
Author: Gailey

Lorelei,
Sorry, don''t mean to thread jack, but Lorelei that picture takes me back! But it was showing in the UK in the 60''s. I didn''t see it in the fifties OK?
Neither did I - and I want to make that quite clear LOL!!!
9.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
queengem09,
I don''t mean to steer you away from Pricescope for an answer to your question. However, PS is a consumer forum. You might be better served by posing your question on a professional one. Oh, and I forgot to welcome you.
35.gif

Gailey, Lorelei,
Any piccies from the "Carry On" series? (Sorry, queengem.)

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
You can check in internet for customs regulations based on the country. As far as money... what are you intending to sell? HUGE difference between selling amethyst, citrine, peridot vs alexandrite, ruby, sapphire, emerald.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 12:38:13 PM
queengem09,
I don''t mean to steer you away from Pricescope for an answer to your question. However, PS is a consumer forum. You might be better served by posing your question on a professional one. Oh, and I forgot to welcome you.
35.gif

Gailey, Lorelei,
Any piccies from the ''Carry On'' series? (Sorry, queengem.)
I''ll do some research and post in Hangout if I find anything. I don''t want to spoil queengem''s thread with our trivia!

queengem09

Rough_Rock
THANK YOU PANDORA FOR YOUR REPLY
SO YOU''RE GOING TO TAKE THE FGA EXAM?
WHAT DO YOU DO IF YOU DONT MIND ME ASKING?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 5:13:04 PM
Author: queengem09
THANK YOU PANDORA FOR YOUR REPLY
SO YOU''RE GOING TO TAKE THE FGA EXAM?
WHAT DO YOU DO IF YOU DONT MIND ME ASKING?
THAT is a question that my father has been asking me since I was about 10 - and still hasn''t got an answer!

Currently I work in politics and dabble in graphic design, jewellery design and gems on the side - mainly private commissions, but the odd thing for former employers once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results