shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP! Gailey''s laptop''s gone down, no Pricescope

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Gailey''s having a major hissy fit today. Last night, Mr Gailey broke my laptop.

It would appear that my profile has corrupted because I can''t get past the login screen. When he opened it up in safe mode, it doesn''t let you add a new profile.

Coupled with that, at the weekend, he discovered that the disc drive doesn''t work, so I can''t even try and load a recovery program.

Does anyone have any idea what I might do?

It''s a Dell laptop running Vista.

I''ve had to trudge through sleet, and snow today to get to post this message. If I have to go without PS for any length of time, I''m likely to develop a very nasty twitch!

Thanks for any input folks.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ll email Storm for ya. He should be able to help you.
1.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 6:11:50 PM
Author: Kaleigh
I''ll email Storm for ya. He should be able to help you.
1.gif
Thank you Kayleigh, you''re a star! He''s awful clever that Dr. Storm, I hope he can raise the dead as well as heal the sick!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
safe mode, run a disk check tell it to scan for bad sectors.
Sounds like a possible bad hard drive.
Did he drop it or bang it while it was running?

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 6:20:22 PM
Author: strmrdr
safe mode, run a disk check tell it to scan for bad sectors.
Sounds like a possible bad hard drive.
Did he drop it or bang it while it was running?
Hey Storm, thanks for stopping by.

No, he didn''t drop it. I lost the wireless internet connection and he re-booted my machine and hey presto, instead of the normal logon screen I get a message that says,

"The User Profile service failed the logon
User Profile cannot be loaded"

My husband spent the better part if the day on Saturday getting updates because he discovered the disc drive wasn''t working when he went to renew my Norton. But it worked fine Sunday and most of Monday.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
run the disk check

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 7:16:34 PM
run the disk check
Storm

Under Check Disk it gives me two options (two boxes to tick)

1) Automatically fix file system errors
2) Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

Do I check both boxes?

Thanks
1.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
YIKES. Sorry you''re having pc troubles Gailey. Hope it gets sorted soon.

LS

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 7:52:47 PM
Author: LostSapphire

LS
Hey Lost,

Thanks for the e-pat.

I suppose it''s my own fault for letting the damn thing get joined to my hip, but I tell you, if it doesn''t get better soon, they''ll be calling me "Lost Gailey".

The reason I got the laptop is because I hate sitting in the basement (no windows) on the desk top, which is tempremental at best. No internet on the damned thing until around 3:30 this afternoon.

At the same time that I got my Dell laptop (on Mr Gailey''s recco), a girlfriend got a Mac. I''ve been besieged by problems with Vista and she just raves about her Mac. I just wonder how difficult it will be to transfer all my files.

I sacked my accountant today as well for failing to submit my GST return on time yet again. 3 times in 5 she''s done this, so enough was enough. Now I have to find a new accountant and fast as it''s tax time.

I feel a very large G & T coming on .....

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 8:07:00 PM
Author: Gailey

Date: 4/14/2009 7:52:47 PM
Author: LostSapphire

LS
Hey Lost,

Thanks for the e-pat.

I suppose it''s my own fault for letting the damn thing get joined to my hip, but I tell you, if it doesn''t get better soon, they''ll be calling me ''Lost Gailey''.

The reason I got the laptop is because I hate sitting in the basement (no windows) on the desk top, which is tempremental at best. No internet on the damned thing until around 3:30 this afternoon.

At the same time that I got my Dell laptop (on Mr Gailey''s recco), a girlfriend got a Mac. I''ve been besieged by problems with Vista and she just raves about her Mac. I just wonder how difficult it will be to transfer all my files.

I sacked my accountant today as well for failing to submit my GST return on time yet again. 3 times in 5 she''s done this, so enough was enough. Now I have to find a new accountant and fast as it''s tax time.

I feel a very large G & T coming on .....
I HATE Vista. And don''t blame you for not wanting to be in the basement! We were not born to be underground cave dwellers.

You and I are accountant twins: we fired ours this year as well. Huge fees, huge-r mistakes and no taking of responsibility on their part for the errors (ie: stuff like, er, forgetting to include the ''accounting fees'' in DH''s business return? DUH? WTF???). So this year we got a new guy. WOW nice. DH is actually in a good mood for the first April in years. And the fee? 1/2 the old guys''.

Have a drink. Take the laptop into a Geek and tell them to fix it if you''re starting to get frustrated with it.

LS

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I guess Geeks in Calgary are in great demand. I phoned a guy that my girlfriend recommended first thing this morning and left a voicemail, no response yet - hence my cry for help.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 7:29:51 PM

run the disk check
Storm

Do I check both boxes?

Thanks
1.gif
yes both
it can take up to a couple hours to finish if it finds something.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock

Date: 4/14/2009 8:17:54 PM

Date: 4/14/2009 7:29:51 PM

run the disk check
Storm

Do I check both boxes?

Thanks
1.gif
yes both
it can take up to a couple hours to finish if it finds something.

Storm

I''ve tried to run the disk check and I get a message up saying, "Windows can''t check the disk while it''s in use. Do you want to check for hard disk errors the next time you start you start your computer?"

I clicked the box that said "Schedule disk check" and nothing happened

Wahhhhh.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
reboot and it will run at boot.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
39.gif
If my computer breaks, I would be
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
OK, it''s running now. I''ll report back later, or tomorrow. Don''t wait up! I''m on Mountain Standard Time.

And a big thank you Storm and an e-squidge. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

XX

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 8:50:51 PM
Author: gaby06
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
No sh*t Gaby!

I just hope everyone that reads this thread DOES A BACK-UP STRAIGHT AWAY. Don''t get caught like Gailey. My last back up was 9th March. My work stuff is OK, but there''s loads of PS stuff saved that might have gone.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 8:57:15 PM

Date: 4/14/2009 8:50:51 PM
Author: gaby06
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
No sh*t Gaby!

I just hope everyone that reads this thread DOES A BACK-UP STRAIGHT AWAY. Don''t get caught like Gailey. My last back up was 9th March. My work stuff is OK, but there''s loads of PS stuff saved that might have gone.
Just did a huge one on the weekend. Back in March my Outlook file crapped out and I lost all e-mails from October onwards, plus all updates/changes to my contacts...GRRRRRRRRR

Lesson learned once a few years ago...then I forgot....learned it again. Some day that''ll stick.

Glad you''re up and running.

LS

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Good morning Storm,

When I came to check on my laptop before bed last night, I guess Check Disk had finished. I didn''t see any results as it went straight back to the defunct logon site, and nothing had changed there.

Doesn''t look good huh?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 10:39:16 AM
Good morning Storm,

When I came to check on my laptop before bed last night, I guess Check Disk had finished. I didn''t see any results as it went straight back to the defunct logon site, and nothing had changed there.

Doesn''t look good huh?
That is actually good news, your data is recoverable.
Do this:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/769495bf-035c-4764-a538-c9b05c22001e1033.mspx
If that doesn''t work it is time to take it to a pro.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
The first time that I backed up my computer was after the "Sex and the city" episode when Carry lose all her files
9.gif
9.gif
I asked my now husband that what was that, he was shocked to hear that all my files were not saved somewhere else
25.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 12:52:29 PM

Date: 4/15/2009 10:39:16 AM
Good morning Storm,

Doesn''t look good huh?
That is actually good news, your data is recoverable.
Do this:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/769495bf-035c-4764-a538-c9b05c22001e1033.mspx
If that doesn''t work it is time to take it to a pro.
Thanks Storm

I don''t know if it was good news or not. I couldn''t get past the login screen, other than in safe mode - which doesn''t allow you to follow the instructions in the link you sent me.

I''ve now sent it out to be assessed.

I''m secretly hoping he''s going to recommend I get a mac!

Watch this space ............

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Ooh Gailey - I really hope it can either be fixed or you can get a Mac - my DH and I both have them and we''ve been really pleased with them. Either way, fingers crossed for a quick fix and return to PS
2.gif

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
BOO ON MACBOOKS!

EDIT: AND VISTA!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results