shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP!! G vs. H

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone, I'm a newbie here and have a quick question. I'm thinking of getting an 3 stone engagement ring in a princess cut. The main diamond will be .75 carat VS1 grade. My question is there a big difference between a G grade color versus an H grade color diamond? They are both considered to be near colorless. But how big of a difference is there between them? I'm planning on having the stone set in a platinum ring. Will the shiny platinum make the H grade diamond look more yellowish compared to a G grade diamond?

A quick response would be greatly appreciated!!!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I doubt you could tell the difference in a legitimately graded H from an accurately graded G color once the stone is set in a ring.

The big problem comes into play when you have a correct G and a phoney H that ought to have been graded I or even J. There is so much BS that goes on with different grading labs misusing and abusing real GIA grading. There is even some problem with the GIA being not totally repetitive although it is the system at fault and not the intent of the GIA lab to hurt anyone. The GIA color grading system is not scientific, but a bit subjective and open.

There is no better system presently available, so we work with what we has served us well for fifty or more years. New ideas and technology will someday change the present structure and system, but today's diamonds need to be graded with today's systems. There is no better choice.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would want to stay as near colorless as possible as I am very sensitive to color. I have an E and really love it, but others are not as sensitive to color, so there you go.

dajust

Rough_Rock
I just recieved my loose 1.01 ct G SI1 today! This is the first diamond I've ever bought. I bought it on line and got a great deal. But first I got some hands on at a local jewelry store. I could tell the difference though slight between a G and an H. Some say you can't but I could. There is no way unless you are superman to see small inclusions with the naked eye on a SI1 so I chose a G rather than an H and an SI1 rather than a VS2 or VS1. Get some hands on and you'll see the difference.
My 2 cents. Concentrate on cut and color is my amature advise and go with a SI1.

Good luck

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
No I wouldn''t think you can see a diff between G and H.....now E and H and/or D and G very likely...some people are more color sensitive than others. For me it takes until about an I or J to see any color really, my H was SO spic and span white...it was almost too white! Can''t imagine a D!

jennalyns

Shiny_Rock
My diamond is an H, and I don't see any color in it. The only time I could see any hint of warmth (not yellow, just not as icy) was when I held it right next to a D. I can't tell between F, G, and H, but I can see color in I-J. This is for ideal cut stones, may be different for less well-cut ones? Some people are more color sensitive so I would look at different stones, but I have been thrilled with my H. :)

lostdog

Shiny_Rock
You couldn't consistently tell the difference between a G and an H from the same lab.

One or two distinctions sometimes seem more obvious. An F might have a hint of color, barely, while an E won't, but face up with similar cut, good luck on being right more than 50% of the time as to which is which. Better cuts will face up showing less color.

Still, it's something you have to see for yourself. Maybe you like I or K.

bluepetal

Rough_Rock
I can see the difference between a G and an H but I have to be within a foot of the ston, and only when they are next to each other. I would go to SI1 and stay with a G!

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
I couldn''t see the difference between G and H in loose stones when we were ring shopping so we went with an H. I don''t know if it''s different for Princess stones as ideal RBs tend to hide color better.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s something that might help you. This is MoreMoreMore''s 3-stone cushion ring. One diamond is E, one is F, and one is G. Can you tell which is which?

three7.jpg

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to add, i met with a friend today whose stone is an E. I put her ring on my finger, right above my H and saw absolutely no diffence in color. It was probably not best lighting for telling the color difference but all I could see was how much spaklier much stone was (hers is a radiant though).

Sashabella

Rough_Rock
It''s really hard to tell colour differences on the computer. Every monitor is calibrated differently. I suggest going to look at a G and H in real life and make the decision that way.

baltneu

Shiny_Rock
this is from 2002!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that''s a really old post! I don''t know why it was bumped.
33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results