shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! G vs F size/clarity trade off

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Traylor

Rough_Rock
Help! I''m getting ready to make my first diamaond engagement ring purchase and am feeling conflicted about which stone to get.

The first which I think will be great is a 1.06 carat, G color, eye-clean S1.

For about $580 more I could get a .903 carat, F color, VS1.

Both are H&A ACA cuts, so that factor should be equal.

I really want to know that I''m giving my girlfriend the best diamond I can afford. She is not the high maintenance type, so I''m sure she will be happy either way. Other women who I''ve asked for advice have said that bigger is not always better and that I should be mindful of color/clarity standards. However, I''ve also gotten the impression from reading many threads on this forum that if there was one thing many women would do differently with their rings, it would be to trade up to a larger diamond of perhaps a slightly lower color grade.

Seeking input on whether the drop in carat points is worth it here for the small additional cost.

Thanks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 11:52:09 AM
Author:Traylor
Help! I''m getting ready to make my first diamaond engagement ring purchase and am feeling conflicted about which stone to get.

The first which I think will be great is a 1.06 carat, G color, eye-clean S1.

For about $580 more I could get a .903 carat, F color, VS1.

Both are H&A ACA cuts, so that factor should be equal.

I really want to know that I''m giving my girlfriend the best diamond I can afford. She is not the high maintenance type, so I''m sure she will be happy either way. Other women who I''ve asked for advice have said that bigger is not always better and that I should be mindful of color/clarity standards. However, I''ve also gotten the impression from reading many threads on this forum that if there was one thing many women would do differently with their rings, it would be to trade up to a larger diamond of perhaps a slightly lower color grade.

Seeking input on whether the drop in carat points is worth it here for the small additional cost.

Thanks!
I think you will find a popular choice would be the G SI combo ACA if the diamond has been verified eyeclean. I don''t think you would notice any difference between F and G colour also. So G SI and larger gets my vote!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 11:54:09 AM
Author: Lorelei

I think you will find a popular choice would be the G SI combo ACA if the diamond has been verified eyeclean. I don''t think you would notice any difference between F and G colour also. So G SI and larger gets my vote!
Ditto. And in a well cut stone, such as the ACA, you could easily go to H, and get even bigger.
2.gif

Have you seen this video on color? Very revealing!

http://vimeo.com/3288695

eternallyhis

Rough_Rock
I think if the 1 carat is eye-clean, go with that for sure! I have a 1.23 VS1 G and it is icy white... I don''t think you or your girlfriend would appreciate the F color any more than the G, except maybe on paper. Go with the bigger stone!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Definitely get the bigger G.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Yup - go for the larger G.
1.gif

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
Def the larger G not much of a color difference imo
13.gif

Traylor

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your input!
19.gif
'');" alt="Insert smilie
19.gif
" src="http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/19.gif" border="0"> I feel much better with the larger G now.

The video on diamond color was great. I''ll definitely take a look at more on vimeo.com to learn more. It has been really fun and fascinating learning about diamonds over the last two weeks. I''ve spent several hours each night reading or visiting jewelers. I can see how this can become a life-long hobbie, occupation, etc.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 6:07:47 PM
Author: Traylor
Thank you all for your input!
19.gif
');' alt='Insert smilie
19.gif
' src="http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/19.gif" border=0> I feel much better with the larger G now.

The video on diamond color was great. I'll definitely take a look at more on vimeo.com to learn more. It has been really fun and fascinating learning about diamonds over the last two weeks. I've spent several hours each night reading or visiting jewelers. I can see how this can become a life-long hobbie, occupation, etc.
Traylor, that's actually just a site to host videos. However, I will give you the link to Goodoldgold's video page, that's who made that video. ;-)

http://goodoldgold.com/Diamond_Videos/

And you're welcome!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
The G gets my vote. It''s nice to say your stone is "a carat". The ACAs will be gorgeous no matter which one so I''d go bigger and the G is still in the nearly colorless category.

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock
Good advise from all the previous posters and extremely useful video from GOG.
36.gif

From a vendor experience perspective: no one has ever come to back to say that a F or G or H colour well-cut round brilliant diamond is too low in colour and they want a better colour diamond. However, quiet a few people do seek upgrades later in life especially from 0.7-0.9 carat...ironically, less people who but just over a carat seem to seek upgrades. One recent client who was initially adamant re. colour upgraded from 0.72 E VS1 to 1.74 carat H SI1 round brilliant, the upgrade was after several years of marriage and on the birth of their first child though.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 3:39:04 AM
Author: Indira-London
Good advise from all the previous posters and extremely useful video from GOG.
36.gif

From a vendor experience perspective: no one has ever come to back to say that a F or G or H colour well-cut round brilliant diamond is too low in colour and they want a better colour diamond. However, quiet a few people do seek upgrades later in life especially from 0.7-0.9 carat...ironically, less people who but just over a carat seem to seek upgrades. One recent client who was initially adamant re. colour upgraded from 0.72 E VS1 to 1.74 carat H SI1 round brilliant, the upgrade was after several years of marriage and on the birth of their first child though.
Thank you! Isn''t that video great??

And funny about this customer. Size is a lot easier to see than color.
9.gif
2.gif

Traylor

Rough_Rock
I feel great about getting the larger G now and can''t wait to see it. My girlfriend has a really small hand with only a 4.25 ring size. I picked the following "Legato" sleek line ring from WF. I hope it will look great and be a sturdy setting. Very excited. It feels so good to be done.

Thanks again all!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

For an ER, higher clarity and color all the way.

cheers--Sharon

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2009 11:03:21 AM
I feel great about getting the larger G now and can''t wait to see it. My girlfriend has a really small hand with only a 4.25 ring size. I picked the following ''Legato'' sleek line ring from WF. I hope it will look great and be a sturdy setting. Very excited. It feels so good to be done.

Thanks again all!
Congrats!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I feel great about getting the larger G now and can''t wait to see it. My girlfriend has a really small hand with only a 4.25 ring size. I picked the following ''Legato'' sleek line ring from WF. I hope it will look great and be a sturdy setting. Very excited. It feels so good to be done.

Thanks again all!
Oh, I love that setting. It''s going to be stunning!
36.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thanks again all!
Ditto the others, definitely go with the G/SI! I have a 1.1 sized stone and a 4.25 finger and I love the size on my hand, so your gf''s ring will look quite similar. It''s a great size that looks substantial without being overly large. She is going to love it!!!

Traylor

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for the feedback and good wishes. The diamond was simply stunning. And I''m now a happily engaged guy.

I''m glad I went with G S1 ACA RBC. On my fiancee''s hand under different colored lights, your eye is immediately drawn to it. Lots of fun to look at under a loupe and with the H&A viewer too.

She is still unsure of exactly what setting she wants, and her finger size is in flux a bit due to some pregnancy-related swelling, so she will be choosing a permanent setting later this year.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Congrats! Glad you love the diamond!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many congrats on your purchase and engagement!!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Glad you are happy with your stone. Congratulations on your engagement!

aveda6

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations on the engagement! Any pictures yet?

Traylor

Rough_Rock
Sorry for not posting a pic sooner. Here is the beautiful ring and diamond I purchased. Thanks for all the good wishes.

Ring2_031009.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks gorgeous!!!

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
It''s beautiful! Congratulations on your engagement and what sounds like a baby to come soon!!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it, love it
30.gif
! You got a beautiful ring there!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
OOoooh, it turned out beautifully!!! I think you made a great decision with the G/SI and the setting is stunning! She must be thrilled, congratulations!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results