shape
carat
color
clarity

Help for creating 7.5mm H&A moissanite stud earrings

Puppy4248

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone! Trying to make my first dive into moissanite as I've only been on PS for diamonds previously, and I’d appreciate some help please! Apologies for the “newbie-ness” of this post in advance.

Looking to make 7.5mm moissanite earring studs (roughly 1.5 carat equivalent) – lots of fire, most diamond like to the avg person (H&A round?), plus durable enough to wear often and pass on to my daughter.

Can I have your opinion on:

• Vendor – best rec if I prioritize cut and looking most like a diamond? Thinking Tianyu as I heard they're good value and I don’t mind waiting, but am nervous if I get sent stones from overseas that don't look great for whatever reason.
  • Criteria – How do I ask for the best cut, H&A moissanite? Other than mm size, is there an optimal proportion range, H&A look, and color…what do we ask for?
  • Setting – single or double claw? I want a wide base with 4 prongs, jumbo backs and maybe shortened stem for comfort if I fall asleep in them. Attached are two pics that are NOT mine, single claw is from east west and double claw shown on the ear is from 1stdibs. Help me choose! Unsure if Tianyu can replicate the delicateness of these settings, should I just get the stones from overseas and have a domestic vendor set it?
  • Metal – platinum for heirloom durability and frequent or 24/7 wear, but worried about the heaviness. Assuming no allergies, anyone think 14K WG is a better option here at this size?
  • Lastly, I know moissanite is beautiful in its own right but different than a diamond, especially at certain sizes. If any of you think a moissanite will look too “off” from a diamond at the 7.5-8mm size, please let me know as I will consider lab diamonds or other shapes as well. I won’t be trying to actively pass the earrings off as diamonds, I’d be honest with anyone who asked, but I also don’t want to incite any questions either lol, I just want some high-quality looking sparkle!
Would appreciate any and all pointers and complete honesty. Thank you!!

claw double.jpg
claw single.jpg

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Distinctive Gem, 100%, no questions asked. He has ideal cut moissanite in almost every shape. Plus spectacular customer service. I own 3 moissy from him and they are phenomenal. His H&A moissy are superb, no haziness that you get with other vendors.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock

rosethorn

Shiny_Rock
The average person cannot tell the difference between cz and moissanite and diamonds up close, so I wouldn’t worry about them for earrings. I’ve not used Tianyu, only Starsgem, but I’ve been very happy with their settings and the quality of stones. That being said, I’m not super sensitive about cut.

Have you considered ordering a pair in the size and design you want in sterling silver to see if they could work for you before making a bigger investment for platinum?

Puppy4248

Shiny_Rock
Distinctive Gem, 100%, no questions asked. He has ideal cut moissanite in almost every shape. Plus spectacular customer service. I own 3 moissy from him and they are phenomenal. His H&A moissy are superb, no haziness that you get with other vendors.

Thank you so much for this! I decided I'm going to him for bigger studs and projects, this was super helpful. Thanks again!

Puppy4248

Shiny_Rock
The average person cannot tell the difference between cz and moissanite and diamonds up close, so I wouldn’t worry about them for earrings. I’ve not used Tianyu, only Starsgem, but I’ve been very happy with their settings and the quality of stones. That being said, I’m not super sensitive about cut.

Have you considered ordering a pair in the size and design you want in sterling silver to see if they could work for you before making a bigger investment for platinum?

Thank you for chiming in! I actually ended up going with Starsgem for the pricing, because I decided to go smaller for everyday. I liked the pricing so much, that I added two other small projects (pendant and other two stone stud earrings) in the same order. For larger pieces I am going to try some US companies, but thank you for reminding me about them as I'd heard they were great for pricing. Super excited to get my pieces.

I had gotten some CZs for sizing, but didn't want to pay extra with shipping for a mock up since I was going to customize setting and who knows what that would have cost. Starsgem's price point worked out perfectly, even if the setting isn't great I can always get them reset for that price. Works out! Thank you again for this!

rosethorn

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for chiming in! I actually ended up going with Starsgem for the pricing, because I decided to go smaller for everyday. I liked the pricing so much, that I added two other small projects (pendant and other two stone stud earrings) in the same order. For larger pieces I am going to try some US companies, but thank you for reminding me about them as I'd heard they were great for pricing. Super excited to get my pieces.

I had gotten some CZs for sizing, but didn't want to pay extra with shipping for a mock up since I was going to customize setting and who knows what that would have cost. Starsgem's price point worked out perfectly, even if the setting isn't great I can always get them reset for that price. Works out! Thank you again for this!

So glad I could be helpful! I always go to them for one thing and end up with three, seems like.

That being said, I’m dying to save up my pennies to get something from Distinctive Gem!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results