shape
carat
color
clarity

Help for an ugly duckling (redesign)

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
I inherited a rings from my mother when she passed. It’s not old or super sentimental but does remind me of her.
I wear it on my right hand 24/7 even though I don’t love the design.
while it had potential it’s just clumsily made in my opinion.
My engagement ring in my left hand is white gold antique style so they couldn’t be more different in style.
I told myself it’s an X like a *kiss* and have kept it the way it is for the last eight years since she passed.
I have been wanting to change it for awhile now but don’t know where to start.
it has six diamonds which slightly graduate in size and nine rubies.
It came from HongKong on a shopping trip. The workmanship is not good.

While I could have the ring remade in white gold I’m not sure that will do the stones any justice or change the whole modern vs antique I have going on.
Having it remade into a wedding band to fit with my engagement ring would be great but that is a whole other problem (designing a wedding band that doesn’t cover up the profile of my ring).

I don’t have any large stones that I like that I could use aa a centre (Only a very light aqua marine which is its own problem *sigh* (can’t be worn as it’s set in silver that turns black on me).
Or an 8ct Sapphire that is way too big for a ring.

But I would be willing to consider buying one - either diamond or ruby if that was the solution.

BIG sorry for it not being clean - I wear it every day - and it shows.

Please help this ugly duckling become a beautiful swan!
A126F297-6CAD-4A8D-89DF-590BB220FFD2.jpeg 87BE6ADE-3E51-464D-B8AA-C467DC3A9F37.jpeg C91201DE-0D9D-4E88-A8CC-64F032C8AD99.jpeg 6F793055-8172-4CE5-9B8D-61451EFAA34F.jpeg

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock

I think that may still be a little modern for my taste - and I would hate to have to match stones to these as I have no idea of the quality.
Actually just reading some threads I came across a picture (I hope whitewave forgives me for screen capturing her rings but I have asked her for information on them) - I really like the little bands that she has in her wedding set..... I’m wondering if I could do something like this with only the 6/9 stones I have. I also have a small - but larger then these - diamond in a tiny solitaire around my neck I could put with it.

I was thinking more of a flat white gold band for the wedding ring as my engagement ring swings around on me a lot even though I already had it sized down.

702EDBB0-C880-4A3A-B38D-0DFF1D3028E6.png

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
It popped in my mind because I swear CVB has something similar and it pairs well with the rings she has. I just can’t look on IG for pics cause I don’t have an account. Cool project though! I can’t wait to see what you do.

I actually really like the style of it! But as you don’t, I wonder if you would consider making a different, everyday right hand ring with it?

I was thinking of a target ring, something like this:
7B8E4FFB-CDCB-415C-8BE9-0462EB1D99AE.jpeg
but with diamonds instead of rubies on the shank. You will need more rubies though, depending on the size of the centre stone (you will also need a centre stone). But it could preserve the vintage aesthetic that you have going on!

Another option is a flower cluster. You could do a small diamond centre, with ruby “petals”, and the diamonds along the shank in a leaf pattern (three diamonds in each leaf, if you do a single leaf, just going down the length of the shank).

CE105967-814D-4562-A3CD-2BDB474FE535.jpeg

The leaves could also be something like this, but I would rather go asymmetric, have one leaf with 2 diamonds and one leaf that is smaller with a single diamond :

AD83B80A-046B-451F-95BD-D004D96D6A97.jpeg

or just three small leaves on either side:
62A89274-93EF-482C-A069-572F4A13D884.jpeg
though I would have the cluster be a bit bigger, visually, by having the leaves touch the cluster at 10 and 8 o clock rather than 12&6 or 11&7.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Knowing me I will change my mind tomorrow when I see something else I like....
I have to wait till something speaks to me and tells me it’s mine :lol:

I like that its shaped like a kiss and was your mum's
I kinda like it, its endearing
I also really like RH rings
I love it you wear it all the time

Maybe after 8 years little duckling isnt yet ready to become a swan

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
I actually really like the style of it! But as you don’t, I wonder if you would consider making a different, everyday right hand ring with it?

I was thinking of a target ring, something like this:
7B8E4FFB-CDCB-415C-8BE9-0462EB1D99AE.jpeg
but with diamonds instead of rubies on the shank. You will need more rubies though, depending on the size of the centre stone (you will also need a centre stone). But it could preserve the vintage aesthetic that you have going on!

Another option is a flower cluster. You could do a small diamond centre, with ruby “petals”, and the diamonds along the shank in a leaf pattern (three diamonds in each leaf).

CE105967-814D-4562-A3CD-2BDB474FE535.jpeg

The leaves could be something like this, but I would rather go asymmetric, have one leaf with 2 diamonds and one leaf that is smaller with a single diamond :

AD83B80A-046B-451F-95BD-D004D96D6A97.jpeg

or just three small leaves on either side:
62A89274-93EF-482C-A069-572F4A13D884.jpeg
though I would have the cluster be a bit bigger, visually, by having the leaves touch the cluster at 10 and 8 o clock rather than 12&6 or 11&7.

Hope this helps!

These are beautiful choices. I particularly like the first one!
I have been considering using the stones in a white gold wedding band with filigree but worry these stones won’t stand up to my engagement ring. The leaves are lovely and definitely my style.
I have never considered having something made because I’m very indecisive, I usually wait for something to speak to me and tell me it’s mine.

Thankyou so much for your time and thoughtful response.

These are beautiful choices. I particularly like the first one!
I have been considering using the stones in a white gold wedding band with filigree but worry these stones won’t stand up to my engagement ring. The leaves are lovely and definitely my style.
I have never considered having something made because I’m very indecisive, I usually wait for something to speak to me and tell me it’s mine.

Thankyou so much for your time and thoughtful response.

If you’re worried about comparisons with your ER, maybe you can eliminate those concerns by wearing it on your right hand. You could make a vintage-y band, especially one sized for your index or your middle finger, and that could truly be an everyday piece.

Here’s a picture of a leaf aesthetic band that I just found on google images that I really liked:

E4BCB3A5-70DF-4BA6-8D1D-30BF548B12AB.jpeg

best of luck with the redesign!

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
If you’re worried about comparisons with your ER, maybe you can eliminate those concerns by wearing it on your right hand. You could make a vintage-y band, especially one sized for your index or your middle finger, and that could truly be an everyday piece.

Here’s a picture of a leaf aesthetic band that I just found on google images that I really liked:

E4BCB3A5-70DF-4BA6-8D1D-30BF548B12AB.jpeg

best of luck with the redesign!

Ok I loooove this. As much as my eyes live a big sparkly stone - my small hands make them look fake on me.
I’m also a painter so keeping my nails perfect isn’t going to happen. Marinha often end up painted and literally never get taken off (unless I’m putting on moisturiser).
I was looking into Portuguese gold and filigree because my partner is Portuguese - but I think the (very beautiful) shade of Portuguese gold will clash with my white gold ring. It also doesn’t seem to be a thing you can have made - as much as it’s a thing you can buy. I’m sure it’s much easier if you are in Portugal and not in Australia - which makes me wish I had thought to do it last year when we were there.
I’m saving this one because I really love the natural flow.
I do have a few things I could sell to fund it if I wanted to build it from scratch.
Thankyou so much for posting.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
All of these are wedding bands on Ivy & Rose - I think any of these could be lovely, especially if you like vintage inspired

I just colored in red in my photo app to help imagine - given what I perceive to be the size of the stones, #2 & #3 would have to be wide bands but I am sure someone could take the idea and run with it if you like something more delicate

Alternating diamond / ruby (you might not want to bother with the tiny side diamonds in the "marquise" shaped sections, but just to give you an idea

IMG-2725.jpg

IMG-2724.jpg

Leaf motif - you probably won't have enough for an eternity, but half eternity and then the rest of the leaves plain metal could look nice

IMG-2723.jpg

Alternating / scattered diamond / ruby with floral motif

IMG-2722.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh goodness. I almost don’t want to suggest any sort of reset at all, if looking at it as it is now reminds you of your mum.

What would you think of having it milgrained and engraved? That could clean up the rough areas that bother you and add some vintage flavour whilst preserving wearability and fundamental design... @Jimmianne’s Before&After photos in another thread blew me away, what a transformation!!

1596553840747.jpeg
1596553885342.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh goodness. I almost don’t want to suggest any sort of reset at all, if looking at it as it is now reminds you of your mum.

What would you think of having it milgrained and engraved? That could clean up the rough areas that bother you and add some vintage flavour whilst preserving wearability and fundamental design... @Jimmianne’s Before&After photos in another thread blew me away, what a transformation!!

1596553840747.jpeg
1596553885342.jpeg

That's a great idea !
IMHO

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results