shape
carat
color
clarity

Help for a novice, Please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pilotspub

Rough_Rock
Ok... started reviewing this site and other web sites (including pricescope sponsors) and am more confused as the time goes by.

First I''ll run through what I "think" I''m looking for...

setting: plat
size: approx 1c
brilliance: one of the most sparkling you''ve ever seen G? H? I?
spread: looks huge (for a 1c)
eek.gif

perfection: no flaws to the naked eye (or even one scantily clothed)
shape: princess
12.gif
(though I think I can talk her out of this if she can get one for the same budget that looks bigger and catches/reflects more light)

The diamond terms are rolling around my head like the equations I had to memorize for Senior Physics. Every now and then I pluck one out and understand it just to be thrown by a new variable...
angryfire.gif

Please help... --- ok, can I get away with a budget of 3-4K for the diamond (exc setting) or am I dreaming... If I''m dreaming please wake me up by telling me how much I need to spend to get the diamond she deserves (described above). Shake me lightly, don''t push me out of bed please.
14.gif

Signed,
Dazed

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The most straightforward way to get a fiery princess cut would be to get one with tested light return. A good refernce would be the collections of GoodOldGold, the "signature" series at DirtCheapDiamonds and the princess cuts presented with Briliance scope reports at DBOF (Diamond Brokers of Florida). Your ranges of desired speca, result in a "great cut I-SI1" to my mind. A well cut round would be much easier to find than a well cut princess: you could skip the branded series to find one and get a bigger-looking stone (princeses are usualy much deeper than rounds, and always quite a bit smaller for the same weight). Hope this would start up the serach for you...

Here are some examples...

1.15 G-VS1

1.04 G-VS2

pilotspub

Rough_Rock
Very pretty... and did I feel a gentle nudge in price.
loopy.gif

So, would a round outshine a princess also?

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
I think round brilliant have the most sparkle for the carat weight & buck. It doesn't leak any light. My gf also wanted a princess... until she saw her aunt's round. RB are also much easier to define the cut than princesses.

I think you are dreaming if you want a 1 ct for under 4K. Either bump up your budget to 5K or look for a smaller stone. Remember about the importance of cut. A decent rule of thumb is that a well cut RB, 1ct should have a diameter of about 6.50 mm and definitely not less that 6.4 mm.

Try getting a stone about 0.9 carats. There is a magical price jump at 1.0 carat due to demand and marketing. Many 1 carat stones should be less if they were cut correctly. How the poor cut makes them look like garbage. Try looking for a H-SI1. I think it's the best combination of size and quality. A 0.9 carat (RB) should have a diamter of about 6.3 mm, so there diffence will be small. I think with some looking and patience you'll be able find one for 4K max.

pilotspub

Rough_Rock
Thanks Chris and AnA... .9c is a definite possibility... some settings say that they are for a 1c and another for a 1.5... does that mean that i won't be able to upgrade in the future without buying a new setting/ring?

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
Some say 1.0 carat, which means 1.0-1.25 (or sometimes 1.0-1.5). Some say 1.0 carat and that mean 1.0 +/- 0.15. So it depends on the company and you will have to ask.

NiceIce has a 0.91 VS1 -I for $4060. If you are not in a rush, hangout, search around as inventories change. Goodoldgold has a 0.93 G SI1 that is waiting to be scanned (but you can call them for estimate price). You also can search some other the other companies like whiteflash, superbcert, or dirtcheapdiamonds.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
This is what I found doing a search for 0.90 to 1.05 ct, H-J, VS2-SI2, AGS and GIA certed stones with excellent scores on the HCA, in case you are interested in a round brilliant versus a princess cut:

1.00 J SI1 for $3454 -- 1.3 on HCA

0.90 H VS2 for $3800 -- 1.2 on the HCA polish and symmetry "very good"

1.01 I SI1 for $4015 -- 1.3 on the HCA

1.06 J SI1 for $3810 -- 1.7 on the HCA

0.90 G VS2 for $3525 -- 1.8 on the HCA

Note: The above White Flash stones are discounted about $100 through the Price Scope forum -- make sure you inquire about the discount if you're interested in one of them.

Good Old Gold also has a 1.01 J SI1 (1.0 on the HCA) for $3968 available through this search engine.

Also, Abazias has two stones with promising stats in the 0.90-0.99 I SI1 range, which I think is a great way to save $ and get a big looking, sparkly, white and eye clean (make sure you ask about this when dealing with SI clarity) diamond.

pilotspub

Rough_Rock
Chris and Phoenixgirl,

Wornderful help... I can feel that I'm zeroing in. I do have some time so I am going to keep an eye on each of the sites you inidicated...

So to sum up what everyone is telling me I should...

1) See if my wonderful will go for a shiny RB rather than a princess cut because she really wants sparkle and size in our budget range over all else.

2) Find a .9-1.1c that is about 6.4-6.5 mm (6.3 mm is ok for the lower range of the weight)

3) Definitely look at the .9 to .99 range to trade weight for quality

4) I - S1 is the minimum (an I in a plat setting is ok?)

5) Bump up the budget by another $1k to add more brilliance

Am I in the ball park?

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I searched know HCA Scores. All the diamonds were H color in the .85 to 1.0 carat range. Of the 4 possibles that came up, there was one non-H&A that is nicely priced.

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=GIA-13013719

White Flash give PS Forum Members a 5% discount, making the price of this diamond $3705. It scored 0.8, FIC, Ex/Ex/Ex/VG on the HCA. It's a Firey Cut!!!
love.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results