shape
carat
color
clarity

Help for a newcomer?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TSNARE

Rough_Rock
Hi. I'm completely new to this board. I'm hoping some of you can help me with my plans to buy an engagement ring. I'd like to get one within the next four weeks, as I plan to propose soon. The problem is, I have a pretty tight budget b/c I'm in grad school.

And, although I predict many may try to dissuade me, I think there's something so romantic and sweet about splurging on the name behind the ring. I'd love to get a Tiff. & Co. or Cartier engagement ring, but everyone tells me these big stores try to cheat people on price (i.e., overcharge). Is this true?

Also, I wonder: Whether at an upscale place like the above-mentioned or at a local jeweler, should the buyer try to negotiate or "haggle" over price, or are diamond rings usually purchased at retail value?

I've been reading a book on diamonds to try to help me determine quality, but at some of the fancier places it seems as though everything is pretty good (and thus pricy, I bet... e.g., at least VS2 and I color at Tiff's).

Anybody have any advice? I have $3500 saved that I can put into this ring.

Thanks so much to everyone. :))

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Tsnare, welcome to the forum :)

----------------
And, although I predict many may try to dissuade me, I think there's something so romantic and sweet about splurging on the name behind the ring. I'd love to get a Tiff. & Co. or Cartier engagement ring, but everyone tells me these big stores try to cheat people on price (i.e., overcharge). Is this true?
----------------

They don't cheat just merely charge more for the name. If your willing to pay extra $ for the blue box, it is completely up to you. However, you can buy same or better quality diamonds for less and set it into the same quality ring.

----------------
I have $3500 saved that I can put into this ring.
----------------

What carat size you are looking for? What type of settings, gold or platinum?

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
in regards to "brand-name" just know that there are actually brand-name diamonds as well as settings, and you can most likely get BOTH for a cheaper amount than you could a tiffany.

ARMYWIFE369AR

Rough_Rock
Hello from one newbie to another:wavey:

I read your post about an engagement ring. I can not really talk much about my engagement ring, because my husband purchased it in U.A.E (United Arab Emrites) when we were on "cruise" in the Navy. I have had it appraised at over $3000.00 and he paid $500.00 (YAHOO! :love: )

Anyways, me and my husband are loyal shoppers to Kay Jewelry. They have some AWESOME settings, diamonds, and prices!

I do not know if you have Kay where you live, but it is a suggestion. Their stones are just as beautiful as the other stores you mentioned.

ARMYWIFE369AR :wavey:

Sammm

Rough_Rock
UAE :) I have friend in Qatar who was helping me find some diamonds there. But the 'in' style in Qatar aren't the 'in' style in the US -- in the cut that is. My friend told me that her jeweler plans to go to belgium and can get me a real good deal. But... I couldn't wait :) I already made my purchase.

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results