shape
carat
color
clarity

Help - First Ring

SpecialEffect

Rough_Rock
Hello, and thanks for visiting :D

This is the first time im looking at diamonds and a little bit mindblown and all the factors that need to be considered!

I found a diamond (havent been able to see it, its on its way) Now after quite abit of researching im wondering if it is a good buy.
Im also starting to think the inclusions are to concentrated :/

Its for a girl ive been with for 11 years so it needs to be a little more special since she waited for quite awhile and had quite the patience haha!

The GIS date is from january 19, 2019.

Thank you :)

367B3F55-A65E-4140-9840-A985007F39BE.png 19E67EC7-3CD4-4176-A5F8-926B41583ABF.png 47567F64-8A56-4D6A-831D-6954A890D30C.png

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
This is an amazing diamond and size, it will sparkle a lot! you will see when you get it. There are always better options but I would not postpone it for another day if I was you

SpecialEffect

Rough_Rock
This is an amazing diamond and size, it will sparkle a lot! you will see when you get it. There are always better options but I would not postpone it for another day if I was you

Thanks for your reply, i forgot to mention the price.
Itll be, 15,750$CAD. So roughly, 11, 800$USD.
Setting included.
Good bang for the buck?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really want to agree with @david b but I cannot. The angles are not very complimentary.

This stone has a steep 36.5 crown paired with a steep 41 pavilion. Additionally its carrying a little extra weight in the girdle which is helping push the depth to 62.7. And anytime you consider a stone with 41 pavilion you need some advanced imaging because at 41.2 things get wonky in a bad way. Due to GIA rounding and averaging it's very possible you have 1 or more pavilions hitting that range.

You want to keep the crown between 34-35 and the pavilion from 40.6-40.9. Equally important you want an inverse relationship meaning steep crown/shallow pavilion or shallow crown/steep pavilion. Some popular combos would be 35/40.6, 34/40.9 or a favorite of many 34.5/40.8.

Also keep the table 54-57, which this stone meets. And limit depth to 60-62.4, but really less than 62 is preferred.

There is a major misconception that GIA triple X stones are all gorgeous. Reality is their net of "excellent" is so broad that most are far from excellent.

Using the info I gave you will yield an ideal cut stone. On the chart below that is pink. Second best would be excellent which is red. As you can see you are way down the ranks here and this is a stone I recommend you NOT buy.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. But if I were you I'd want to know as you still have time to change it and I'd like to see your girl with a sparkle bomb not this.

Screenshot_20190330-072635_Sheets.jpg

SpecialEffect

Rough_Rock
I really want to agree with @david b but I cannot. The angles are not very complimentary.

This stone has a steep 36.5 crown paired with a steep 41 pavilion. Additionally its carrying a little extra weight in the girdle which is helping push the depth to 62.7. And anytime you consider a stone with 41 pavilion you need some advanced imaging because at 41.2 things get wonky in a bad way. Due to GIA rounding and averaging it's very possible you have 1 or more pavilions hitting that range.

You want to keep the crown between 34-35 and the pavilion from 40.6-40.9. Equally important you want an inverse relationship meaning steep crown/shallow pavilion or shallow crown/steep pavilion. Some popular combos would be 35/40.6, 34/40.9 or a favorite of many 34.5/40.8.

Also keep the table 54-57, which this stone meets. And limit depth to 60-62.4, but really less than 62 is preferred.

There is a major misconception that GIA triple X stones are all gorgeous. Reality is their net of "excellent" is so broad that most are far from excellent.

Using the info I gave you will yield an ideal cut stone. On the chart below that is pink. Second best would be excellent which is red. As you can see you are way down the ranks here and this is a stone I recommend you NOT buy.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. But if I were you I'd want to know as you still have time to change it and I'd like to see your girl with a sparkle bomb not this.

Screenshot_20190330-072635_Sheets.jpg

Holy details.
Thanks for the information. Had no idea any of that matters lol. So the diamond is actually sub-par? Maybe i should go a touch lower on the Carra to stay in my budget. Or is everything fine, just the “shape”

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As @sledge already said, this diamond is too deep. Focus on finding a stone within the parameters that he already stated above. I would agree with your last statement that, yes, you should consider dropping the carat weight a bit to find a well cut stone. Also, be sure to focus on face up diameter rather than carat weight. Here are two diamonds within your budget of around 12k USD for your consideration.

https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/round-diamond-1.3-carat-e-vs1-yd5433679
https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/round-diamond-1.25-carat-e-vvs2-yd5712587

Both are well cut (I wouldn't worry too much about the 58% table, as all of the other numbers match up and the diamonds have a nice arrow pattern) and the videos look nice. I would ask for idealscope and/or ASET images for these two diamonds to determine which has the best light performance, although both will certainly be better than the original diamond you posted.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry to disagree with David, but this isn't a good choice. Too steep and too deep. You can definitely find better.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Me too, just chiming in to say that I don’t think those numbers look that great. No matter what you get, even a super ideal, you can always get better in one way or another, even if it’s just in size ... I would suggest getting the very best that you can right from the start and, imo, cut is the very most important. Cut is where you should not compromise (I hate using “shoulds” but I’m putting one here).
An excellent trade-up policy may also become important to you. This might mean paying slightly more, but if you are married for 30 years (I have to be conservative), how many more dollars per year more is it exactly? (Hey, I’ve been waiting a long time to throw the cost per year thing at someone).
I hope you consider everything when it comes to your diamond purchase; not just the “c’s” but the sales support and policies. It’s a significant buy that will be with you for many years to come; choosing a great vendor now is a very wise thing to do, imo.
No I don’t work for any of them, just a customer who’s learned some things the hard way, lol.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking around I see you can dip into the super ideal pool for the same money. As noted by @TreeScientist, ignore carat weight & look at the dimensions.

For reference, dimensions of the 1.40 stone = 7.10 x 7.14.

Let me be very clear -- all these stones are going to be absolutely AMAZING and complete sparkle bombs! They all have the right proportions, hearts & arrow (H&A) symmetry and advanced imaging & videos to to prove their excellence. Literally, you have no bad choices here. It's much like hitting an easy button.

That said, I will offer a few other comments as we go along.

Also, you need to know that WF and HPD/CBI are genuinely good people that actually care about YOU and not just your money! They have the most generous upgrade programs and best customer service you will find, hands down. Both will give you lifetime upgrades where you get full value of your original stone if you spend $1 or more, no other strings. HPD has an added benefit of a lifetime 80% buyback policy (to the original purchasers). I can't imagine too many people exercise that option, but it's a nice perk.

Hopefully you can see, you can buy a lot nicer diamond with the same money. Sorry it took me so long to post this. Our wedding is less than 20 days away and my girl has me running around like a chicken with its head cut off doing stuff.

WF ACA 1.378 G VS2 @ $12,292
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4097158.htm

Love that small sexy table of 55.4. :love: FYI, small tables = lots of fire! Also, despite the carat weight being less, this yields the same spread of the original stone you were looking at -- 7.13 x 7.15!

Downside is you are dropping to G from F, but gaining on clarity from SI1 to VS2. Which is more important to you?

WF ACA 1.266 F VS2 @ $12,103
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4092179.htm

Another gorgeous option. Here you get to keep F color and clarity bump, but are sacrificing a little size. This stone measures 6.93 x 6.98, which is about 0.15mm difference. Being real about this, yes, it's a little smaller but 0.10mm = 1/256th inch and 0.20mm = 1/128th inch. Maybe in a side by side comparison, with great vision, you will see a size difference but if so it's very minimal and definitely not memorable.

Given the fact the size difference isn't really visible to the naked eye, this becomes an attractive option.

WF ES 1.243 F VS2 @ $11,289
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3925300.htm

Disclaimer -- I said all these stones are H&A. This is one that just barely misses that mark, which is why it is an "Expert Select" instead of an "A Cut Above". Great thing is all the same upgrade policies, etc still apply to this stone, and you get to save approximately $1k while remaining at F VS2. But what gets me excited is looking at the stone, it has the right proportions. And the only reason it missed the ACA category is the hearts are off a very teeny tiny amount from the strict ACA requirements. IRL, it will make no difference to your eyes.

Point blank, I'm picky and if I were buying I'd be considering this stone myself. It is the smallest of the WF group, but still measures at 6.89 x 6.91.

HPD/CBI 1.298 G SI1 @ $10,375
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10670

I'm sure the first thing that jumps out is the price. Hands down, phenomenal value. Also, absolutely love the 55 table. Size is still good at 6.99 x 7.01 as well.

You are dropping from F to G color and keeping SI1 clarity. Looking at the clarity plot and video, this stone has flaws on the table. Honestly, I think the stone is probably eye clean, but you need to call HPD and confirm. While I love the internet, one thing that makes buying diamonds tough is magnified videos. I think it exaggerates the issues here and this stone is likely eye clean, but I'd want to know for sure before I pulled the trigger. And the fact that HPD/CBI and WF both keep their stones in their in-house vaults and not part of a virtual inventory system allows you the luxury to have them pull the stones and do an honest evaluation for you.

HPD/CBI 1.22 E SI1 @ $10,872
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10689

EEEKKKK.....54.8 table. :love: :love: :love:

To mimick Sir Mix Alot and Baby Got Back....

That when a diamond walks in with an itty bitty table
And a nice crown & pavilion combo in your face, I get sprung!

Ummm, yeah I suck at music so I'll spare you more. Seriously though, love the proportions here.

Plus you bump up from F to E color, while keeping SI1 clarity and pocketing some cash! This SI1 looks better to me than the other one. There is a cloud under the crown, but again magnified video, etc. I'd ask HPD to confirm it's eye clean and that the cloud doesn't affect performance in any way. Very doubtful because CBI is also very picky about their brand and all about performance.

Size measures at 6.92 x 6.94, which is right at that 0.20mm mark. As noted earlier, it's a non-issue in my books.

HPD/CBI 1.25 F VS2 @ $12,227
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD9895

Wow, another 55 table. My own sweet spot of a 34.5/40.8 combo. Measures out at 6.93 x 6.96.

You get F color, and a clarity bump to VS2. There is a note on the cert about "additional clouds not shown". Probably a non-issue, but clarify with HPD.

I like this stone, but honestly unless the 1.22 E SI1 wasn't eye clean, then I'd forego the premiums associated with 1.25+ carat weight and VS2 clarity. The difference in size between this and the 1.22 isn't event detectable to the human eye. And performance wise, both this and the 1.22 stones are rock solid.

SpecialEffect

Rough_Rock
Good morning all!

Thank you for all your replies.

I called my jewler this morning and sadly, the diamond was picked up in NYC this morning. I didnt think he was going to be that quick lol. (I did do his daughters tile job for her kitchen and he loved my service, i guess he wanted to do the same for me)
Reading everything you guys wrote is making me worried now haha!

Im hoping for the best, and am greatly thankful for the time you guys took to reply to me.
When i get to see the diamond, ill try getting a picture of it and showing you.

Thanks!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol::lol::lol:

Thanks @Diamond_Hawk, I try to do my part. I'm not much of a rap guy but I go straight 80/90's when I do, lol.

Some other useless rhymes I've twisted....

Very true. I recently had some "growing experiences" over a few recent threads like this. No hard feelings as I really understand cultures are different.

That said, here is a little rhyme I composed -- inspired by what many will call a tasteless 80's rap song, Seattle Ain't Bullsh*ttin' by the greatly disrespected Sir Mix Alot... :mrgreen2:

**If you are easily offended, keep scrolling**

The Westerners say Asians are whack
Size isn't all it's cracked up to be, so trust me 1-point-2 <pause> carats is plenty phat
I buy D's & E's, not F's and G's
Add VS1+ clarity and I snatch'm up faster than happy meals
GIA Triple X certification, I own the motherf*ckin' label
And I promise you, I got the papers on the table
And I'm buyin' just like that
No super ideal premiums so my pocket stays fat
A lot of Westerner clowns tried to convince me otherwise but they didn't
Huh, cause this Asian culture wasn't bullsh*ttin'

Geez @Karl_K, you're such an a-hole.

See I'm the type of friend that will tell it to your face, not behind your back. :mrgreen2: :lol-2: :P2

<cue the music to Baby Got Back by Sir Mix-alot>

Oh, my, god, PriceScope, look @Karl_K
His diamond is so big, he looks like
One of those diamond designer guys
But, ya know, who understands those designer guys?
We only talk to him, because
He looks like a total bling whore, 'kay?
I mean, his diamond, is just so firey & big
I can't believe it's not round, it's like out there
I mean wow, look
He's just so, whack

SpecialEffect

Rough_Rock
So, i saw the diamond. Huge and quite blingy...blinding infact.

Also, the ring is certified Heart And Arrow... does that make me more happy about the purchase. Lol.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, i saw the diamond. Huge and quite blingy...blinding infact.

Also, the ring is certified Heart And Arrow... does that make me more happy about the purchase. Lol.

I'm glad you found the diamond pleasing. In regards to it being "certified H&A" I'd ask by what measure? They should have H&A images if they are making such a statement. If so, post them for us to review.

Even poor cutting technically results in a heart and arrow shapes, but they lack the true symmetry and precision to be considered and called true H&A stones. I'm not saying this stone is or isn't true H&A but I want you to be certain before you purchase as those type of things normally demand a premium and I don't want you getting ripped off.

This might be a worthwhile read so you can educate yourself.

https://www.heartsandarrows.com/grading-hearts-arrows-ideal-cut-diamond-pattern.aspx

SpecialEffect

Rough_Rock
Going to read that shortly.
It was written on the GIA certificiate portfolio... when i used his zoom in tool (was like a cylinder thing that i put my eye against) i saw the arrows and hearts... was actually pretty cool lol... never saw that before

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results