shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding the right diamond for this setting

CanadianRye

Rough_Rock
I'm looking to buy an engagement ring for my girlfriend. I'm hoping to keep my budget to $6000 Canadian dollars. I'm in Ontario so (if I read the import literature right) I've got to pay 13% at customs, brining my budget to ~$5300 CAD. I think she'd really like the Platinum Cross Prong Diamond Accent Solitaire Ring from James Allen http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/contemporary-rings/cross-prong-solitaire-ring.html so that takes my diamond budget to ~4000.

And this is where it gets complicated...
I think I`ve made the mistake of reading too much. I joined up to Pricescope.com and have been looking through the countless arguments and opinions there. There seems to be no one answer to what I should be looking for but I do have a few questions.

How yellow is too yellow? I notice that the small accent diamonds on the ring are G-H, does that mean I should look at the same colour for the main diamond?

Eye clean? I know that some people say that although a stone may have inclusions they may not be visable. Are all VS2 and above eye clean?

Finally, the ring looks quite 'bulky', my girlfriends a size 7, so will a 0.75ct stone look too small in the ring? I found it hard to judge by the recently sold pictures.

Maybe I`ll just start with those threequestions, but feel free to offer any advice. Oh and I suppose I should mention I`m looking for a round stone. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CanadianRye|1317824710|3033818 said:
I'm looking to buy an engagement ring for my girlfriend. I'm hoping to keep my budget to $6000 Canadian dollars. I'm in Ontario so (if I read the import literature right) I've got to pay 13% at customs, brining my budget to ~$5300 CAD. I think she'd really like the Platinum Cross Prong Diamond Accent Solitaire Ring from James Allen http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/contemporary-rings/cross-prong-solitaire-ring.html so that takes my diamond budget to ~4000.How much is that in American dollar?

And this is where it gets complicated...
I think I`ve made the mistake of reading too much. I joined up to Pricescope.com and have been looking through the countless arguments and opinions there. There seems to be no one answer to what I should be looking for but I do have a few questions.

How yellow is too yellow? I notice that the small accent diamonds on the ring are G-H, does that mean I should look at the same colour for the main diamond?Depends on how color sensitive you are. G/H stones are considered pretty white by most people's
standards. However, if you want to get more for your dollar and still stay pretty white you could go down to an I/J. Here is
a color video that might help.
http://www.vimeo.com/3288695
Who in Canada carries nice AGS/GIA stones? You could go to a store and ask to see some in different colors. Make sure they
are well cut though. Here in the US we direct people to look at Jared's Peerless line or any store that carries Hearts On Fire
stones.

Eye clean? I know that some people say that although a stone may have inclusions they may not be visable. Are all VS2 and above eye clean?You shouldnt have to worry about a VS2 being eye-clean from the top. However, you could possible see something from
looking at the underside of the stone. (Stones are graded top-down).

Finally, the ring looks quite 'bulky', my girlfriends a size 7, so will a 0.75ct stone look too small in the ring? I found it hard to judge by the recently sold pictures.This would be considered a wider band at 3.3mm. Your GF can carry it off since she wears a size 7 but
*most* girls would probably want a thinner band say in 2.3-2.5mm range (some want thinner). A thinner band will also help to
make the stone pop more. A .75 round stone is about 6mm.

Maybe I`ll just start with those threequestions, but feel free to offer any advice. Oh and I suppose I should mention I`m looking for a round stone. Any thoughts?
I'll look around some and post in a minute.
Thanks in advance,

Ryan

CanadianRye

Rough_Rock
Thanks for that. I'm thinking you may be right, regarding the ring thickness. Have you seen any similar rings on your travels that are a bit narrower? I looked at the collection at BGD but I didn't like the way the accent diamonds were arranged.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I think 2.5 mm is a safer thickness (unless you know that she prefers the thicker bands)

I think BGD could customize one of their solitaires to add 2 accent diamonds?

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I wear a size 6.5, and I selected a band that is 4mm thick. It looked much better that the very thin bands on my hand. The thin bands just didn't have enough presence.

One thing to keep in mind, aside from finger size is finger length. If she has long fingers and hands (I do), then a thicker band is a good choice, but if she has short fingers a thicker band could very easily make her fingers look squatty and chunky.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

No duty: just the exchange rate, GST and PST calculated on that rate.

cheers--Sharon

CanadianRye

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the advice.

Maybe it's time to go back to the drawing board, I'm thinking:

A round stone is a must

A ~0.75ct stone is in my budget which is equivalent to ~5.9mm diameter.

The 0.75ct stone should be at minimum ideal cut, I and VS2. (still have concerns about I whiteness - need to go to a B&M and check)

A 2-2.5mm band will give ~1.8mm of diamond 'overhang' each side

I think she'd prefer platinum band over white gold.

So the $4000 for a diamond, $1300 for a band still stands.

Time to start looking again. Wish me luck and thanks again for all the help.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results