shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding setting for unique cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought this stone because the cut was so mezmerizing and I loved the deep bluey-purple :) It's a really lively and sparkly gem, and I'd love to set it as a pendant to give as a gift. Any idea who or where I can turn? I'm looking for something inexpensive since the stone is only a 20$ amethyst. It's pretty though!

I currently live in Philly, but am a 20$ ticket away from NYC. So any suggestions for jewelers I can go to in person would be great too! I just moved and don't know anyone
7.gif

amethystneedssetting.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Where did you get it? And what are the dimensions on it? Also, whats your budget?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got it from GemLine, it''s 14mm long, 10mm wide, and about 9mm deep (I have no idea how to measure a gem, sorry!)
Budget is around 100$, she wouldn''t feel comfortable with anything more than that.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
What look are you after and what color metal?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Have you considered sterling? that would be the least expensive option. I think it will be hard to find a stock setting in that shape. But you never know.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you did sterling I bet you could do a simple custom bezel for it. I love the stone, I think it''s gorgeous!!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sterling would be fine, and I''ve actually never considered a bezel setting, does that make the stone look darker? This will be my first time trying to custom set anything :)

Any idea what a custom sterling setting might cost?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, bezeling the stone will make it darker. It's hard to tell due to the tilt but is it a starish shape? If so, would a 6 prong standard setting work? It'll be one prong in between every point/corner.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Thinking out of the box, I would set it as a briolette, with just a cap on the longer end (if there is a longer end - seems like it is in the photo). Wouldn''t be expensive even in gold, and it would sure be different. If you don''t like it, I''d go with a simple stock prong setting - maybe those for pear shapes might work.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you looking for a pendant design or a ring?

If a pendant then I would be tempted to have a Sterling Silver basket made for it to sit into (but not be seen from the front) with a V claw top and bottom.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m looking for a pendant design.
Thanks for all the suggestions! I''ll have to make a trip to the jewelry district when the weather is nicer and see what and who I find! I love the briolette idea!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s some more pics if it helps. Sorry I''m so bad at taking pics of loose stones!

inthedatylig].jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
What about contacting one of the etsy sellers that people are buying stack rings from? maybe they could do a simple sterling setting?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
With that one end that is a little bit longer, I think a setting meant for a pear cut stone would actually work. Take it to a jeweler that carries semi mounts so you can put it in one to see!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results