shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding round Sapphire for e- ring

Acl

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

I'm searching for a round Sapphire for an engagement ring. My hopes are that it would be round, symmetrical, intense blue, and relatively eye clear. I was hoping to find something around 9 mm for around $10,000.

It is proving a little more difficult than I initially expected after my first view browsing sessions online. Thanks to helpful members of this forum I have passed on a few sapphires I may have otherwise bought from vendors that were probably less than trustworthy.

Are my expectations out of line?

Does anyone have any recommendations where I might look or whom I might contact about trying to find the right Sapphire?

Thanks in advance

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi @Acl. Maybe you should give Roger Dery a call. His prices are not listed but other members of this forum have had good luck with him and say his prices are reasonable. He usually has more in stock than is listed on his site.

https://rogerdery.com/gems/?fwp_type=sapphire&fwp_color=blue&fwp_shape=round

If you would consider oval, Kosnargems is having a flash sale through tomorrow. I had a double take when I read that this one is a Montana. Doesn't seem to have the greyish or greenish cast that is typical.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/596077147/exquisite-deep-blue-sapphire-gemstone?ref=shop_home_active_1

Best of luck. I'll keep looking.:wavey:

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
John Dyer is another choice. He is a master cutter and has stunning gems. His website was recently updated and I'm finding it difficult to navigate (I'm used to the old one:(2) Anyway, You might give him a call as well. He's very easy to deal with.

https://www.johndyergems.com/index.html

Acl

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the tips! I'll try both places. That Montana gem is beautiful, I'm starting to think I might have to consider oval sad I'm having a harder time than I initially thought finding a nice round. But I'm still holding out hope for now. Thanks.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand that you like what you like, but rounds tend to cost more because when cut there's a lost of material waste. If you allow wiggle room for other shapes, you may have an easier time of it.

Also hoping you have some time on your side because that will help a lot. Sometimes a stone can pop up when you least expect it.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The reason rounds are uncommon in sapphires is that the rough grows in an elongated crystal. Sapphires are valued for color and not light performance. A round cut shape would therefore waste a lot of valuable sapphire as opposed to an oval or elongated cushion.
But if you want a round sapphire a few other vendors to consider are Finewater Gems, (Gary is working on a hearts and arrows type cut), Earthstreasury(many rounds with a diamond like cut) and Jeff White of JL White Fine Gemstones.

Jbows

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the tips! I'll try both places. That Montana gem is beautiful, I'm starting to think I might have to consider oval sad I'm having a harder time than I initially thought finding a nice round. But I'm still holding out hope for now. Thanks.
Roger is leaving Malawi today (he’s headed back to MI, not the other way round) from a gem hunting and education trip... so if he doesn’t get back to you ASAP he has a good reason! Also, I called him when my bank thought his charge was shady and shut down my card (lol) and he is super nice.
Also Jeff White would be a good option!
I understand your affinity for round... I like them because they have less color extinction than the elongated shapes. You have an amazing budget, should be able to get a great stone!

bcandy

Rough_Rock
Premium

ChanterelleJ

Rough_Rock
Premium
Try shooting this seller an email. She has a lot of ruby and sapphire inventory (offline...she sells finished jewelry on RL). I inquired about rubies a couple of weeks ago and she came up with some nice options, all with GIA or AGL. She is very kind and responsive.

https://www.rubylane.com/shop/enhoerning-jewelry

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results