shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding pair of LGDs for 3.8 ctw studs

Gemstonesrock

Shiny_Rock
Hi my trusty PSers,

I could use some help in picking out diamonds for a pair of studs for a milestone birthday this year. I am taking the plunge into the world of lab grown diamonds in a big way. I want to find two 1.9 ct diamonds (about 8mm diameter each), ideal cutting HPHT, D-E-F color, VS1 or higher clarity. From everything I've been learning on PS and specifically on this forum, LGD technology has come such a long way in just the past couple years. Last summer I stopped by ID Jewelry in New York City and while talking with Yekutiel, he strongly encouraged me to consider lab diamonds. To see if LGD would bother me in any way, I decided to commission a minor project: petite 1" dangle earrings made with lab diamonds. Well, I love the earrings and have been wearing them most days since I got them last summer. The diamonds are gorgeous and perform as well as my super ideals. Best of all, I found that I don't have a "mind clean" problem with LGDs.

Honestly, I think I might go lab grown for most, if not all, of my diamond purchases going forward. I have had to sacrifice my *true* desired carat weight for all my earth mined diamond projects in favor of super ideal cutting, high color, and at least VS clarity. I feel like LGD will allow me to finally have it ALL (cue evil laugh: mwahahaha!)

I could ask Jonathan at Distinctive Gems to source for me but I didn't love the pricing of the Reserve stones on his site. Since there seem to be some great options online, I thought I'd check out Ritani as others have. I bookmarked a few stones on Ritani by entering the parameters that GCAL states are the parameters for their 8x stones but I honestly don't totally know what I'm doing. And it sounds like there is debate on the "ideal" table percentage. When I bought my super ideal CBI's I didn't get into the weeds of parameters as I trusted the cutter to know them. Any suggestions on stones or what parameters I should use? @DejaWiz @Kim N @yssie as well as any other experts could you help me? I'm so grateful in advance.

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gemstonesrock

Shiny_Rock
Ooh that pair looks great! Haha I had the 1.89 bookmarked but I missed the 1.90!

Gemstonesrock

Shiny_Rock
I just bought the pair you recommended @Kim N- it was about $3.2k. I’ll post when I receive them. I liked another D color pair a bit more but together they were almost double the price at $6k.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just bought the pair you recommended @Kim N- it was about $3.2k. I’ll post when I receive them. I liked another D color pair a bit more but together they were almost double the price at $6k.

Wonderful! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts when you receive them.

I looked at GCAL 8x stones too on Adiamor, but they would have been at least $7K even with the current sale.

Gemstonesrock

Shiny_Rock
@ Dejawiz I learned about Diamondscreener's cut estimator through one of your posts this weekend and entered the parameters of the two stones I purchased (and am awaiting) from Ritani. According to Diamondscreener, the 1.90 E VS1 showed up as GIA Excellent but NOT AGS Ideal. The 1.89 E VVS qualified as both GIA Excellent AND AGS Ideal so it should be the better performing stone. How accurate is the Cut Estimator? I'm hoping I don't see a noticeable performance difference (e.g. light leakage) in the 1.90 E VS1 in person. Ugh I think it might bother me knowing one stone didn't qualify as AGS Ideal as I care most about ideal performance and these are to be my "forever" studs.

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ Dejawiz I learned about Diamondscreener's cut estimator through one of your posts this weekend and entered the parameters of the two stones I purchased (and am awaiting) from Ritani. According to Diamondscreener, the 1.90 E VS1 showed up as GIA Excellent but NOT AGS Ideal. The 1.89 E VVS qualified as both GIA Excellent AND AGS Ideal so it should be the better performing stone. How accurate is the Cut Estimator? I'm hoping I don't see a noticeable performance difference (e.g. light leakage) in the 1.90 E VS1 in person. Ugh I think it might bother me knowing one stone didn't qualify as AGS Ideal as I care most about ideal performance and these are to be my "forever" studs.
@DejaWiz @Kim N I Now I'm so confused. I entered the parameters of the two stones I purchase above into the HCA and it gave the 1.90 E VS1 stone (which doesn't qualify as AGS Ideal) a Cut Advisor score of .6 and three "Excellents" on light return, fire and scintillation and one "Very good" on spread. For the 1.89 E VVS stone, the HCA gave it a Cut Advisor score of 1.7 with three "Very goods" on light return, scintillation and spread and one "excellent" on fire. Based on HCA, the 1.90 looks to perform MUCH better. Based on Diamondscreener, it didn't qualify as AGS Ideal. Am I using these tools correctly to evaluate my stones?

If you look at this table from Whiteflash, you can see that the 1.90's proportions fall within A Cut Above standards, which are even more stringent than AGS Ideal standards. It may be that Diamondscreener's chart is a little out of date.

fe1d5409-291d-4757-8886-6d80acd009f2-jpeg.920695

The HCA is dinging the 1.89 just a bit on the 35.4 crown angle, but based on the video, it should still be a great performer.

Let us know how they perform when they arrive. If they don't wow you, I'd be happy to help you search for a new pair.

Gemstonesrock

Shiny_Rock
If you look at this table from Whiteflash, you can see that the 1.90's proportions fall within A Cut Above standards, which are even more stringent than AGS Ideal standards. It may be that Diamondscreener's chart is a little out of date.

fe1d5409-291d-4757-8886-6d80acd009f2-jpeg.920695

The HCA is dinging the 1.89 just a bit on the 35.4 crown angle, but based on the video, it should still be a great performer.

Let us know how they perform when they arrive. If they don't wow you, I'd be happy to help you search for a new pair.

@Kim N you are SO helpful and generous with your time and information- thank you! I asked Ritani to send me photos and video before sending them out so I'll share those early next week when I get them!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results