shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding/evaluating rounds

aunadkat

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

I'm new to diamond research and this forum was recommended to me by a friend that found it very helpful. I'm from Canada and am looking to purchase and engagement ring got my girlfriend. I have a designer that I'm working with for the setting and he has been suggesting diamonds to me. I do trust him as a few of my friends have purchased through him in the past. He seems to believe that the HCA is not a good tool to evaluate rounds. Any thoughts on the importance of the HCA?

As for what I'm looking for: working with an ~8k CAD budget including tax and setting (~5800 USD). Here in Canada the diamonds that seem to be in my price range are about 0.90 Carats.

The stones that have been suggested to me are as follows:

.90ct. F, VS2 $6635 GIA - 1215665729
.92ct. H, VS2 $6155 GIA - 2217690505
.90ct. G, SI1 $5960 GIA - 2216456076

Any thoughts on those? Or any other suggestions in my price range?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Amar - Vancouver, Canada

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
~NOT AN EXPERT~
The first two are 60/60 type stones. The HCA tool doesn't favor that type of stone. They will show more white light than colored. You might notice the shallow crown angles 31-32% (and flat height 12%). I didn't run those thru the HCA. Now the last one has a higher crown angle but is 62.1% deep. That one scored 4.1 - Good - Only if price is your main criterion.

Probably has something to do with why your seller isn't a fan. If you don't use HCA to rule out his stones, you might buy one of his stones. See?

Personal recent example: A friend of mine owns a jewelry store and tried to convince me that I would prefer uncerted smaller almost-ideal near eye-clean earrings for the same price as the larger certified AGS 0 completely eye clean SI1&2 I had asked about when contemplating an estate purchase. Sadly (for him) I got the AGS 0 earrings anyway. Brought them to another jeweler to verify the cert with the inscription. He told me I got a tremendous value and he couldn't have done it for that price.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.01-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-875269
:love: :love:

aunadkat

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help. Looking at these two choices:

GIA # 2214054186 and GIA # 6211639680

Which is a better choice? They are similarly priced.

Thanks,
Amar

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results