shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding engagement ring

TXMike06

Rough_Rock
So the girlfriend has been dropping hints shes ready to get engaged and I've been ready to wife this girl since I met her. One problem she has some specific taste in jewlery and I can't pick out jewlery to save my life..... so through walking through jewlery stores and taking notes on what she wants and her luckily finding a dream ring I got her friend to get her to spill the beans and show me pictures of it. I contacted ringconcierge to see if they had other options on diamonds like lab grown or moissanite to get her what she wants and I can afford but they said no. I tried to buy just the setting and also a no go since she said they are all custom made for a specific diamond.

So.... this is the info I've got from the girlfriend on what she wants from her dream ring. Emerald cut, profile as low as possible but still allows the wedding band to not be notched, side stones not to square looking or where the edge of the band is as tall as the diamonds, no halo but a diamond big enough that it doesnt look tiny but she wont give me a carat she thinks looks right for her, side stones also must go further down than how some just go a little ways down the band,
center stone diamond setting not to point where it attaches to ring.

This is the ring her friend told me was her dream ring.
Screenshot_20181018-122546_Samsung Internet.jpg IMG_6762.jpg

I've been to a couple stores and havent been able to find this ring so I'm guessing its unique. Has anyone seen a ring that is very similar to this ring or knows of a custom jewler that could make something like this and would work with a diamond I could afford? Also how big of a diamond should i go for? I was thinking 3 carats but man that is gonna be a fortune. She said she likes the moissanite so that's good for me.

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
If you are looking for a big emerald cut moissanite you should ask Erica if this one is still available!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnErg1zhjFo/?taken-by=loveaffairdiamonds

If you do buy the stone from Erica, it is probably worth checking to see if her bench could work with you for the setting. A modified Stuller setting might work and be relatively inexpensive.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For your moissanite, go to www.augustvintageinc.net and speak to the owner, Rhino. He does a GORGEOUS emerald cut moissy, and he'll be able to custom cut you something delicious. I was looking at his moissanite on the weekend, and it's truly luscious. Rhino has been on the boards for years and years, and many of us here have done business with him. He's an expert on cut and will hook you up with something perfect. For this particular cut, make sure you get something nice and white (D-F color). Looking at the appropriate page, the moissy will cost you about $1800. NB that AVInc emerald cut moissanite has more distinctive corners; as I've had it explained to me, this is necessary in an EC moissanite cut to get the proper level of light return. Otherwise the stone will look dull and/or fake.
https://www.augustvintageinc.net/co...tom-cut-august-vintage-emerald-cut-moissanite

As for the setting, this is not an uncommon setting, but I would advise you to get something custom made, so it fits your stone exactly. Try DavidKlassJewelry.com and they should be able to make your setting perfectly for a great price; I would budget around $2k, as there is a lot of hand set pave in the setting. Again, DKJ is all over the Pricescope boards and is one of the most popular jewelers here. Send them your photo and they'll have no problem replicating it.

And just to check - what is your budget? Doing it this way, you're looking at around 4k in total.

AugustVintageInc and DavkdKlassJewelry are also both on FB and Instagram. And just to add - this is a quality ring. The diamonds in the setting, the workmanship, and the quality of the moissy will all be top notch. Not all moissanite is equal, in that it's cut to all sorts of different standards. AVInc moissanite is cut as well as moissanite can be cut, so will be most realistic looking and will have lovely light return, for a big, sparkly look!

Good luck!

TXMike06

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies. My budget is in the 8k range but the lower I can stay the better. Would a lab grown diamond in the 3 carat range be doable for that price including the setting?

I'll definitly email Mr klass and rhino.

I was wondering would I need to get the diamond before I ask for the setting to be made? I'm in houston tx so it looks like klass is in California. To get the ring custom fit to the ring would I need to get it and then ship it to him?

How well does a moissanite stack up vs a lab grown diamond looks wise?

Thanks again for all the help so far.

Vogue

Shiny_Rock
I adore emerald cuts and I think you're getting great advice on how to find a good moissanite! That said, your OP doesn't make it clear whether your gf knows you're planning on finding her a diamond substitute. She's okay with that, right?

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
Your girlfriend has good taste. I was able to build a ring very similar to that on james allen in your budget, a 1.2ct H/Vs1 emerald cut in this 14k white gold setting: https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...pave-crown-diamond-engagement-ring-item-53057

So I guess it might help you to get a better sense from your girlfriend what size diamond would be too tiny in her estimation. Because 1.2ct is a good size, but if she wants 3 carats moissanite would be the way to go. The August Vintage emerald looks fantastic-- tons of sparkle!

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
I think the August Vintage emerald cut looks beautiful, but the shape is very distinctive and different from the shape and length to width ratio of the emerald cuts in the inspiration photos. It might be worth trying to get a sense of if that shape is appealing to her -- I love emerald cuts and would want to maximize light performance, but I personally don't love the shape of the August Vintage emerald cuts.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you really sure she wants a simulant??? I'd 1000 times rather have a lab (real) diamond over any simulant, but if she wants 3 cts, you'll be getting a simulant.

You need to get a stone first, then you contact David Klass about the setting. You'll have about 6k or so for the stone.

TXMike06

Rough_Rock
Her thing is she wants to be surprised but she wants me to get what she wants. Lol it's a terrible combo. I wanna get her what she wants but she doesnt wanna give me to much info and ruin her surprise. I'm getting most of my info from her friend.

She does know I'm looking at moissanite and she said if I go with that she wants bigger but if I go small she would want a real diamond. I do know she had a ring before that had an emerald cut diamond and it was just over .75 carat and she said it was only big enough because it had a halo but she doesnt like halos it just made that ring work. So if I could get away with a 2 carat lab diamond I would be just around my budget depending on quality.

Also I found a 2.5 carat lab diamond that was 8,000 but I could try and make it work but it was an I in color. I googled after and I said a diamond that large would look yellowish with that color. Is that true or way to general a statement?

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also I found a 2.5 carat lab diamond that was 8,000 but I could try and make it work but it was an I in color. I googled after and I said a diamond that large would look yellowish with that color. Is that true or way to general a statement?

that's a general statement but in an emerald cut you will notice the color and the flaws more than in a round....for mined stones i'd look at james allen, blue nile, and b2c jewels, they all have settings like the examples you gave and you could probably get a nice ~1.3ct and setting in your budget.

here's a thread on avc moissanite vs diamond and if you scroll down there's a video

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/august-vintage-moissy-vs-diamond.240933/

good luck!

TXMike06

Rough_Rock
I'm really leaning towards a lab grown diamond. Hopefully her friend will find out if 2 carats is big enough. If she just has to have 3 carats mossianite is my only option within budget besides waiting another year.

I see alot of places that say lab created diamond simulant. If it says simulant that means not real diamond correct? Which could mean anything including mossianite?

Besides brilliant earth what are some other good sites to look for a quality lab grown diamond? Has anyone used brilliant earth in the past and had good luck?

I really appreciate all the help and suggestions. I am clueless on this ring stuff.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I color would normally be fine. Many of us here have I color diamonds. In fact, I have an antique step cut asscher diamond that is K color, and it does not look yellow. I wouldn't go below I-J for an engagement ring, though. If you can find a 2 ct emerald cut lab diamond, that would be fabulous!!! That will have the durabiity and longevity of a natual mined diamond. Try to show us the cut, though, before you buy one.

Let me do a little checking tomorrow and I will tell you where you can look for real lab diamonds. I know for sure you could check with Jonathan at August Vintage. I think he is planning to cut some antique style stones in lab diamond, but he might have access to emerald cut, too. So maybe contact Jonathan and ask him if he can access lab diamonds and not simulants.

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
TXMike - I had an emerald cut diamond for many years and loved it! (I changed to a round stone a number of years ago and though I love it, sometimes I still miss the shape of an emerald cut on my hand.) I hope you can find the perfect stone with all the expert help here!

(DS ... I have a question for you about your area of the country ... I changed computers a couple of years ago and lost your email. If you'd be willing to talk a little, is there a way to get in touch? Thank you!)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TXMike - I had an emerald cut diamond for many years and loved it! (I changed to a round stone a number of years ago and though I love it, sometimes I still miss the shape of an emerald cut on my hand.) I hope you can find the perfect stone with all the expert help here!

(DS ... I have a question for you about your area of the country ... I changed computers a couple of years ago and lost your email. If you'd be willing to talk a little, is there a way to get in touch? Thank you!)

Blueiris - so good to see and hear from you! I've wondered about you often - would love to hear more from you!! :wavey:

Sorry for the threadjack OP!

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If you’re in Houston, it would be fun to take a trip to Whiteflash to see diamonds and especially the settings in person. They might be able to help you find that setting you posted.

TXMike06

Rough_Rock
Looked up whiteflash and told the girlfriend were gonna go look at diamonds and see what she thinks looks good in her hand this weekend.

So I've found one diamond I really like. It'll put me a little over budget but isnt that what engagament ring shopping is all about is spending more than you planned? Lol.

https://www.brilliantearth.com/lab-diamonds-search/view_detail/6539769/

Questions. So I like this 2.25 carat over 2.5 carats because it's got a bigger face according to the measurements. If I'm even reading it right. This stone measures 9.41x6.47 on top while a 2.57 carat measures 9.09x6.48 on top. Stones with more carats were thicker but smaller dimensions on top which is gonna be what people see right? Never heard anybody say hey let me see how thick your diamond is. The more it covers her finger the more it looks bigger to me even if it is quarter carat less. Is that all correct? Will the diamond being thinner make it more likely to crack or break?

TXMike06

Rough_Rock
Any thoughts on the cut of that diamond? I see they have a return policy to. I wasnt planning on proposing in 30 days but I would like to pick up the diamond if it is a good one. I love that is seems like alot of surface area for the carat and if I get it here and it looks terrible I can return it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looked up whiteflash and told the girlfriend were gonna go look at diamonds and see what she thinks looks good in her hand this weekend.

So I've found one diamond I really like. It'll put me a little over budget but isnt that what engagament ring shopping is all about is spending more than you planned? Lol.

https://www.brilliantearth.com/lab-diamonds-search/view_detail/6539769/

Questions. So I like this 2.25 carat over 2.5 carats because it's got a bigger face according to the measurements. If I'm even reading it right. This stone measures 9.41x6.47 on top while a 2.57 carat measures 9.09x6.48 on top. Stones with more carats were thicker but smaller dimensions on top which is gonna be what people see right? Never heard anybody say hey let me see how thick your diamond is. The more it covers her finger the more it looks bigger to me even if it is quarter carat less. Is that all correct? Will the diamond being thinner make it more likely to crack or break?

Did you get pictures of this stone? You don't buy an emerald cut by it's diameter measurements, although I do compare them when I identify well cut stones. Sorry we missed seeing your last post. Have you bought a stone yet?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results