shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding/choosing LG earring studs

drablittlecrabonce

Rough_Rock
Hi,

New account but my wife and I received invaluable help 15 years ago on this forum picking a natural sapphire for her engagement ring.

Hoping to buy her diamond stud earrings for her birthday coming up soon. Her preferences are “round or cushion cut, four prongs, screw backs so they don’t come off.” She likes how 1ct each looks from noting her observations in the past and her trying them on in stores.

Initially was hoping to keep total cost under $2k but after looking at prices that won’t cut it (dad joke!). Could manage as high as $3.5k. Hitting exactly 1.0 ct not important to either of us, it’s just the size that looked and felt good to her in the past.

We are in Philly so could also visit a local place if you have recs, either to buy it or to set stones purchased online.

Some options we have found so far:
- This round in platinum and E+ VS1+ is 2.7k https://www.grownbrilliance.com/4-p...s-platinum/pid/EAGTXE01901-PL3?category_id=36

- similar in cushion cut
No platinum option available.

How are the cuts on these? Are there better options?

I find the wasted space of baskets (all the air inside the basket where the diamond is tapering to a point) to be a little awkward but will check with her about whether she likes martini vs basket.

Thank you so much.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would narrow down the shape between round and cushion first. We can definitely help you keep costs below $2K.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

New account but my wife and I received invaluable help 15 years ago on this forum picking a natural sapphire for her engagement ring.

Hoping to buy her diamond stud earrings for her birthday coming up soon. Her preferences are “round or cushion cut, four prongs, screw backs so they don’t come off.” She likes how 1ct each looks from noting her observations in the past and her trying them on in stores.

Initially was hoping to keep total cost under $2k but after looking at prices that won’t cut it (dad joke!). Could manage as high as $3.5k. Hitting exactly 1.0 ct not important to either of us, it’s just the size that looked and felt good to her in the past.

We are in Philly so could also visit a local place if you have recs, either to buy it or to set stones purchased online.

Some options we have found so far:
- This round in platinum and E+ VS1+ is 2.7k https://www.grownbrilliance.com/4-p...s-platinum/pid/EAGTXE01901-PL3?category_id=36

- similar in cushion cut
No platinum option available.

How are the cuts on these? Are there better options?

I find the wasted space of baskets (all the air inside the basket where the diamond is tapering to a point) to be a little awkward but will check with her about whether she likes martini vs basket.

Thank you so much.

Alex Park posts bunches of matched pairs - I've just purchased a pair of E VS1 1.11ct stones on behalf of a friend, they were $720 and basic 4 prong baskets in 14K were $150. I have also purchased a pair for myself and what I saved on the stones I spent on a custom milgrain bezel setting that I am very happy with...

Nm06003

Rough_Rock
Reach out to Yekutiel from IDJ. I’m pretty sure I purchased 2 ctw for under $1500 last year. Mention that you’re looking for PS quality

drablittlecrabonce

Rough_Rock
Thank you all.

We visited a local shop today and were not impressed with the quality or price or selection, but did lock down many variables:
  • 0.8-1.0 ct each
  • Round
  • Basket
  • Platinum (prefer white-colored setting and allergies to nickel and we don't want to risk white gold)
Will check with Ritani and White Flash and the recs above (Alex Park and Yekutiel from IDJ) and report back.

Also I'm finding no pairs on White Flash (0.75-1.2 ct, D-I, IF-SI2, Cut Ideal-VG). How far down the cut quality should I go?

I was thinking down to H on color, down to SI1 on clarity, down to VG on cut, with a strong preference for nicer on all of those :).

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all.

We visited a local shop today and were not impressed with the quality or price or selection, but did lock down many variables:
  • 0.8-1.0 ct each
  • Round
  • Basket
  • Platinum (prefer white-colored setting and allergies to nickel and we don't want to risk white gold)
Will check with Ritani and White Flash and the recs above (Alex Park and Yekutiel from IDJ) and report back.

Also I'm finding no pairs on White Flash (0.75-1.2 ct, D-I, IF-SI2, Cut Ideal-VG). How far down the cut quality should I go?

I was thinking down to H on color, down to SI1 on clarity, down to VG on cut, with a strong preference for nicer on all of those :).

If you're happy with labs, no need to go down to H colour or below VS clarity. If trying Alex Park, I just pulled the trigger on my friend's studs yesterday and they had several pairs left (and posted more yesterday). They are all "ideal cut" - wouldn't be super ideal like WF ACAs but I would argue you don't need that for studs as nobody gets close enough. Ask for a platinum setting quote - his margins are lower than others with shopfronts/sophisticated e-commerce platforms, and his work is very good.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Now that you know you want round, @Kim N will be able to come to your rescue! .8-1ct each/1.6-2tcw under $2k will be a cinch!

drablittlecrabonce

Rough_Rock
Just to close the loop, we wound up going with WhiteFlash. Thank you for your help everyone--hugely reassuring and helpful!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got 1.81 E Vs1 each from Alex Park for $1800

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results