carat
color
clarity

Help! Finding an Oval for my proposal

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RayorJ|1479205616|4098724 said:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/0.92-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-2122930

Another one i spotted. A little smaller than the others, but looks quite nice and the price is lower, which may push me more towards the platinum setting. Thoughts?

I may need to make a purchase sooner than later-- looking for diamonds has been keeping me up at night!
People always tend to second guess themselves. I know its hard...plus its a lot of money...plus you want the
best you can get for your future bride. Lots of pressure :errrr:

Yes, that is a nice stone (the new one you linked). You are correct above in your assessment of the nice light return
extending more towards the rounded ends on the 2136531. I refer to it as feathering out. The middle facets feather out nicely
towards the rounded ends. The middle facets do not feather out toward the rounded ends in the 1047705. The nice facets
just sort of end abruptly. The middle area is nice in the 1047705 though.

I'll do a size difference of that new stone you found and one of the others stones when I get back. I do suggest you go with
plat if you are going to go with such a thin band.

I have to run for now!

RayorJ

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1479216022|4098756 said:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/0.92-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-2122930

Another one i spotted. A little smaller than the others, but looks quite nice and the price is lower, which may push me more towards the platinum setting. Thoughts?

I may need to make a purchase sooner than later-- looking for diamonds has been keeping me up at night!
People always tend to second guess themselves. I know its hard...plus its a lot of money...plus you want the
best you can get for your future bride. Lots of pressure :errrr:

Yes, that is a nice stone (the new one you linked). You are correct above in your assessment of the nice light return
extending more towards the rounded ends on the 2136531. I refer to it as feathering out. The middle facets feather out nicely
towards the rounded ends. The middle facets do not feather out toward the rounded ends in the 1047705. The nice facets
just sort of end abruptly. The middle area is nice in the 1047705 though.

I'll do a size difference of that new stone you found and one of the others stones when I get back. I do suggest you go with
plat if you are going to go with such a thin band.

I have to run for now!

Thanks! Its good to know that what I'm seeing is real, and not just my imagination. After finding 2122930, and reading a little more about white gold re: malleability and redipping, I'm starting to seriously consider going with a lower cost (but still very nice!) stone and springing for the platinum band.

Ideally, I'd be able to catch a sale of some sort. But I understand those usually don't come around until Black Friday and I'd love to have this all settled earlier, for the peace of my anxious mind!

RayorJ

Rough_Rock
Just chatted with David from GOG and he said both diamonds had pretty severe bowties :(sad
He said he'd send over some images anyway, so I'll post em when I get em, but I guess the JA ones are the best options still

SpencerDane

Rough_Rock

I simply love this one! The diamond is breathtaking and if you can get it at a lower cost so you are able to go with the platinum setting, this makes it an even better choice.

Sanks13

Rough_Rock
I just purchased an oval with nearly the same perimeters you have. We ended up purchasing our stone from GOG. When it comes down to ct I know you said .9-1.01 but I would try and determine the actual mm size you are looking for. depending on the depth some ovals are 1ct but appear smaller than .95s on the market because they are deep. To maximize you money in terms of size and ct make sure the depth and mm/mm is the size you are looking for. we ended up with a 1.01, 8.11mmX5.57mm and it looks much larger than a ct. Good luck!!!!!

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
This thread has been full of great information and advice!

I do want to offer a slight correction to information posted earlier:

RayorJ|1478840792|4096810 said:
And most of the diamonds with the best ratings are on sites like B2C Jewels...that only have sample images.

B2C provides real images, ASETs, H&As, and/or Ideal-Scopes on many diamonds within their search feature (and can often secure them upon request when they are not readily available).

Happy Hunting - I'm sure you'll find something stunning!

RayorJ

Rough_Rock
Diamond_Hawk|1479323226|4099365 said:
This thread has been full of great information and advice!

I do want to offer a slight correction to information posted earlier:

RayorJ|1478840792|4096810 said:
And most of the diamonds with the best ratings are on sites like B2C Jewels...that only have sample images.

B2C provides real images, ASETs, H&As, and/or Ideal-Scopes on many diamonds within their search feature (and can often secure them upon request when they are not readily available).

Happy Hunting - I'm sure you'll find something stunning!

Diamond_Hawk, thanks for the correction. I must have just gotten unlucky with the couple I looked at.

Videos for the GOG diamonds came in:
https://v360.in/movie/87_15162
https://v360.in/movie/87_15163

On 15162, there's an inclusion in the table I'm not crazy about. 15163 looks nicer to me and brighter overall, but there are a few areas of obstruction on the ASET. I've come to the conclusion that I don't really know how to read an ASET or where it fits into the decision making process. Is the main purpose of the ASET to draw attention areas of good/bad light return that I can then focus on more closely when looking at the video to make a final decision?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results