shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding an oval cut for a friend!

okydokie

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

Looooong time lurker here (probably about 10 years!), but first time poster :)

I come with a mission to help my partner's best friend find a great oval cut diamond to propose to his girlfriend with :kiss2:

He's planning on going with a setting like this:

This was the diamond that he originally sent me:

My immediate reaction was that he'd be paying a premium for the IF rating, that would be better to make up for in cut and color. But I ashamedly have to admit that for all my years of lurking, I'm still pretty green when it comes to diamond selection, so I would love to get input from all the wonderful folks here to share with him!

They're looking for around a 1 carat, approx ~4k budget. Thank you so much in advance!

Reactions: AV_

elizat

Ideal_Rock
That stone is going to have a pretty visible bowtie, I think. I can see it on the video and in person, it can look different, but it stands out. Is the intended color sensitive? A J oval is going to appear tinted and hold color in the tips. If they are going for a white facing stone, H and above is safer. Some H colors may show tint as well, but it depends on the stone and the eye of the wearer.

If he goes with an oval from what is formerly August Vintage, it eliminates a lot of the shopping search, because they are all cut to have now bowtie and have great light return. Ovals are harder to buy. It will face up smaller though, likely, as they are cut deeper to avoid these issues. Trade offs really.

A J, if he is comfortable with that as is the intended:

Or an I:

Last edited:

okydokie

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much @elizat! I checked in and my friend said that she's not color sensitive, so a warmer stone is okay.

I've passed along the links above and recommendation of Distinctive Gem as a place to start looking!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not suggest going down to a J in an oval (Elques may be fine because they have Ideal light return). "I" color is the lowest I would tend
to go and I would prefer to say more in the G/H range if the budget can handle it. Agree with @elizat that the one you posted has a strong dark
area running through the center (dark bow-tie).

Some suggestions...
Would like to know what the grade making inclusion is on this one
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.05-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-sku-8021709

This is an H. It has earmuffs but when you shrink it down to "real" size they dont really stick out like they do when its blown up

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much @elizat! I checked in and my friend said that she's not color sensitive, so a warmer stone is okay.

I've passed along the links above and recommendation of Distinctive Gem as a place to start looking!
Yup, Jon is the go to guy for Ovals.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results