shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding an engagement ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Diamond916

Rough_Rock
First off, I would like to say these forums rock...sorry I had to. There is so much to learn and it has helped me a lot. So, here''s the story...I''ve been with my gf for 4 plus years and I feel the time is near to pop the question. I would like to spend 4500-6000 for the ring. I don''t think she has a preference for solitaire or not, I think she likes the emerald style(she thinks its different), and she would take size over the other c''s. Can any of you experts help me find an emerald ring...maybe some examples? Thanks so much. I plan on popping the question in December so I have plenty of time.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
here is another just over your price range
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2878/

looking closer that one sure does have some funky numbers, interesting diamond.

For EC cuts your usualy better off working with a vendor having some brought in that meet your specs.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
looking over the price range I'd target a H-I-J vs just under the 1.5ct range.
For the best size/$ ratio while keeping to a resonable quality, eyeclean and fairly white.
That should be do-able in your price range.
But you will need to work with a vendor and be patient to pull it off there isnt many of them out there that are of reasonable cut in that range.

Diamond916

Rough_Rock
much appreciated. I will use those numbers as a guideline. Let''s say I bought a diamond and wanted it set with a platinum band. How much extra on top does that usually run?

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2007 9:56:58 PM
Author: Diamond916
much appreciated. I will use those numbers as a guideline. Let's say I bought a diamond and wanted it set with a platinum band. How much extra on top does that usually run?

I'd put aside anywhere from $800-$1200 for a good platinum solitaire. Mine was around $900 for a 1 carat round (the band being 2.5mm at its thickest and tapering to 2mm).

Here's one from exceldiamonds.com that's $800 in plat:

4-Prong Platinum Solitaire

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
some other general guidelines that I like...
Table under 65 with low high 50s low 60s my sweet spot.
Depth in the 60s
crown height over 10%
L/W ratio to taste, I like the fatter ones where some like the long skinny ones.

edit to add: be sure and get pictures and preferably an ASET image of any your considering.

Diamond916

Rough_Rock
Is it a bad idea to buy a band and diamond together vs a loose diamond? Is it significantly cheaper to buy a loose diamond and then get it set the way you want?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2007 11:24:09 PM
Author: Diamond916
Is it a bad idea to buy a band and diamond together vs a loose diamond? Is it significantly cheaper to buy a loose diamond and then get it set the way you want?
Its better to buy both from the same place but its usually better to buy them seperate and have the stone mounted instead of buying a premounted stone.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2007 10:20:54 PM
Author: EBree
This one looks like it has potential. What do you think, strm?

.94ct E, VVS1 EX/EX

ETA: Another...strm?

1ct F, VS2 EX/VG
yea both have potentual but dont fit what he is looking for.
Its going to take a lot of hunting to find one but they are out there.

Diamond916

Rough_Rock
another question...when you list these potential diamonds...are you finding them from the entry form on this website?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results