carat
color
clarity

Help finding an Afghan origin gem

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds great!! You made a good choice.

If you have the option, I would opt for the slightly smaller, but perfect cut version.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or, what about a matching pair from the rough, and continuing your search for the one big, well cut piece?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
+2 for a smaller perfectly cut stone.

Garnet Gimlet

Rough_Rock
It sounds like this is going to end up being an amazing heirloom piece, so I would go with a smaller, perfectly cut stone. Especially if it will be with 6mm pearls. It will look stunning. It it had to compete with 10 mm pearls, then maybe I'd sacrifice for size. But if you really want a 12 mm stone, go for it!

Can't wait to see the final pictures!

agingsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Keeping in mind that the setting will cost money, and that increases with more stones to set, if you'd like a bigger "look" from your setting you might be able to do a double halo with one of the haloes in a soft pink to go with your stone? Here's some pink sapphire melee for an idea. http://www.gemselect.com/sapphire/sapphire-322466.php
And here's a ring with a double halo with one of them pink: http://www-static.weddingbee.com/pics/245662/r4678-pink-diamond-ring.jpg

You can also have a "floating" halo, which increases the look considerably and also gives a lovely, delicate look. Something like this, perhaps? http://ridiamonds.com/images/inventory/0017569.jpg

And finally, you might consider (and maybe already are, I wasn't clear from the original description) making the gem into a pearl "enhancer" instead of a permanent part of the pearl necklace. I have an aquamarine enhancer which has a bail that looks normal from the front but unlatches in the back to open and gently fit over one of the knots on my pearls, which are about 6.5-7mm, about the size you're planning. I sometimes wear the enhancer as a pendant on a simple tiny DBTY chain or on a heavier textured gold chain which is a much more casual look, and I sometimes wear the pearls without the enhancer when I'm wearing something that wouldn't flatter the aqua or don't want it to look quite so dressy. It's really nice to have options, and I store the pearls and enhancer separately to avoid bumping them against each other.

Good luck, I'm sure it will be totally lovely!!

chocolatepudding

Rough_Rock
what about a matching pair from the rough, and continuing your search for the one big, well cut piece?
This is a great idea but unfortunately I just don't have the budget to keep it and buy another or the heart to cut up something so lovely into little bits

It sounds like this is going to end up being an amazing heirloom piece, so I would go with a smaller, perfectly cut stone. Especially if it will be with 6mm pearls. It will look stunning.
I've wanted a pink tourmaline for the longest time that I really want to get it right with this piece. I drew up the dimensions and with a halo or two it actually looks nice with the pearls.

double halo with one of the halos in a soft pink to go with your stone?
you can also have a "floating" halo, which increases the look considerably and also gives a lovely, delicate look.
This is genius!

pearl "enhancer" instead of a permanent part of the pearl necklace
Yes that's what I was thinking. It will make the piece more versatile.

Thank you all, I really appreciate the guidance. I think you're all right about having a perfect cut if I have the option to. I know that I'll need to compromise in some capacity though. I've been investigating some alternate cuts that would face up a little bigger than the egg and require less stone depth. I've found some really pretty ovals and pears that I'm discussing with Doug. Hopefully one of them will be feasible.

Here's my current top 2 cuts:
Oval - should yield 12x9mm finished stone
oval.png

Pear - should yield 11x9mm finished stone
pear.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How will those shapes impact the colour? I would not go with perfect cut for a pendant but close to perfect if the colour will be affected negatively. A good colour will stand out from far away even if small. Unless the cut design is right or you go with a supernova oval (which is rather deep), ovals like to do the half/half shadowing or exhibit a bowtie.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1434021633|3887763 said:
How will those shapes impact the colour? I would not go with perfect cut for a pendant but close to perfect if the colour will be affected negatively. A good colour will stand out from far away even if small. Unless the cut design is right or you go with a supernova oval (which is rather deep), ovals like to do the half/half shadowing or exhibit a bowtie.
How about pears Chrono?
Chocolatepudding could you ask Doug about a supernova oval cut?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pears tend to concentrate colour at the tip.

chocolatepudding

Rough_Rock
Dropped off the rough today to get transformed :dance:

Thank you Chrono and Lovinggems for your input. I asked about the supernova but Doug wouldn't recommend it as the stone isn't deep enough. He's suggested that the best option would be a simple oval with fewer facets than the one I shared in my earlier post. I'm assuming this is to bring out the colour. I am weary of bow-tie or half extinction but I really trust Doug's work so I'm sure the end result will be beautiful. Now I just need to wait patiently for a few weeks. That's the hard part!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chocolatepudding|1434368467|3889391 said:
I asked about the supernova but Doug wouldn't recommend it as the stone isn't deep enough. He's suggested that the best option would be a simple oval with fewer facets than the one I shared in my earlier post. I'm assuming this is to bring out the colour. I am weary of bow-tie or half extinction but I really trust Doug's work so I'm sure the end result will be beautiful. Now I just need to wait patiently for a few weeks. That's the hard part!

Trust is one thing, verify is another thing. If bowties and the half shadowing bother you, please ask Doug now, rather than wait to see the end result, hoping for it not to happen. Also do not assume about fewer facets to bring up the colour. Remember that most lapidaries want to preserve as much rough material as possible so if colour matters to you, you need to ask why he recommended this route.

chocolatepudding

Rough_Rock
Chrono thank you for your advice, bow ties don't bother me at all but its really nice of you to bring it to my attention. I did speak to Doug about the design and in the end we settled on a more intricate oval.

Doug finished cutting it today and I saw it fresh off the dop. I'm in all sorts of love with it! :D

It ended up a 3.8 carat gem that's 12.6 x 9.2. Doug did a fantastic job working with a relatively shallow piece of rough and maximized the face up dimensions beautifully.

The tourmaline is completely flawless and the colour is to die for. Its primarily a bubblegum pink but with flashes of lilac in florescent light and with flashes of orange in incandescent light and outdoors rather reminiscent of a pad.

So here is what you're all here to see.. pictures! these are Doug's pictures and you can just see hints of orange at the ends. Yes it has a bow tie but its barely seen in real life and doesn't detract from the beauty of the stone at all.

820z_white__1_.jpg

820x_white.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

What a great outcome, chocolatepudding! :clap: How exciting. I'm so happy you're in love with it! :) The final dimensions are wonderful, too. I cannot wait to see the finished piece - you'll have to come back and post pictures after your wedding. :D

Congrats!

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Please come with photos of the finished piece, and congrats.

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
That is a stunning stone!
Congratulations

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The bowtie is negligible. Kudos to Doug for a fantastic job, given the challenges. Congrats on your lovely new pink tourmaline! :appl:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great outcome! The stone looks fabulous. Doug nailed it again.
Please come back with pictures once the stone is set.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! :appl:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful oval, it's going to be stunning as the necklace centrepiece.

chocolatepudding

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your guidance through this process. Attached are some pictures taken outside. Filtered light seems to bring out the complexity of the colours within the stone with lilac flashes in some light and orange in others.

1_47.png
2_24.png
3_11.png

Now for the task of choosing a setting. I'm going for something with an art nouveau/edwardian inspiration. Below are the settings that I'm drawing my inspiration from. I'm planning to set it in Argentium Silver with rose gold accents around the tourmaline. I'm contemplating using Australian white sapphires for the surrounding stones but am open to diamonds if there isn't a significant price difference. Having spoken to some jewellers, setting it in anything other than a simple halo is going to add enormously to the price. I figure if im going to have to pay through the nose, I might as well get the gorgeous heirloom style setting of my dreams! Any thoughts on setting options?

e292cf0dedd0ad98ba9f7d5c1e10da52.jpg

I was considering buying a briolette for the drop as shown below.
c4127c60d09edb5791839963fed961dc.jpg
fb5f9bbbcf46c68d7c89eaa3019e19b3.jpg

The tourmaline looks nicer horizontally rather than vertically but it might be nice vertically in this setting
95a8f7b5bc8fb32af8a4c15ed69cf53c.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing outdoor pics!!

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
It is stunning! :appl:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like a completely different stone outdoors - even more beautiful and complex. Love your inspiration pieces; this is going to be one gorgeous work of art for sure!

Rothschild55

Rough_Rock
I love #1, it is gorgeous!

S

SparkliesLuver

Love the additional pictures of your stone. It turned out beautifully!

I searched last night for more ideas and I couldn't come up with anything I liked more than your first image. That's stunning! Really. I also liked your third option, but something about it wasn't quite right to me. A quick little erasing, and I think I like this version better.

Can't wait to see what you decide! :D

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
chocolatepudding|1436600302|3901572 said:
Thank you all for your guidance through this process. Attached are some pictures taken outside. Filtered light seems to bring out the complexity of the colours within the stone with lilac flashes in some light and orange in others.

1_47.png
2_24.png
3_11.png

Now for the task of choosing a setting. I'm going for something with an art nouveau/edwardian inspiration. Below are the settings that I'm drawing my inspiration from. I'm planning to set it in Argentium Silver with rose gold accents around the tourmaline. I'm contemplating using Australian white sapphires for the surrounding stones but am open to diamonds if there isn't a significant price difference. Having spoken to some jewellers, setting it in anything other than a simple halo is going to add enormously to the price. I figure if im going to have to pay through the nose, I might as well get the gorgeous heirloom style setting of my dreams! Any thoughts on setting options?

e292cf0dedd0ad98ba9f7d5c1e10da52.jpg

I was considering buying a briolette for the drop as shown below.
c4127c60d09edb5791839963fed961dc.jpg

The tourmaline looks nicer horizontally rather than vertically but it might be nice vertically in this setting
95a8f7b5bc8fb32af8a4c15ed69cf53c.jpg

Beautiful tourmaline!! :love:

chocolatepudding

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the compliments. I have found a designer with a flair for vintage design that I'm very excited to work with.

I'm a little stuck on what metal to set the piece in though. I initially envisioned this piece in Argentium silver. I haven't seen Argentium silver in real life but love the whiteness of it when compared other white metals in photos. This is a pendant that I might wear once or twice a year and that I intend to keep for a very long time. The cost for the finished piece in silver is more than I'd like to admit but its still affordable. The jeweler has worked with sterling but not Argentium. However as I'm going down the CAD and cast method the commercial caster will really be doing the majority of the work. It's clear that the jeweler has a preference for white gold and that this is a material he is more familiar with. He has suggested that its worth paying nearly $1000 extra for 9k white gold for its durability and tarnish resistance. As both the Argentium Silver and the white gold would both be plated in Rhodium the final piece would look identical.

Is it really worth the extra cost for white gold to ensure longevity considering how rarely (and carefully) I will wear this pendant?

I know Argentium silver will tarnish but if its plated and only worn occasionally, is tarnishing still an issue?

If I was going to spend the additional $1000, I'd rather make a pair of matching earrings. I'd really appreciate the opinions of the Pricescope gurus out there :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results