shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Finding a Two-Tone Engagement Ring Please

Exodus

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Please help, I need your assistance and resourcefulness with finding the "right" Engagement Ring for my lady.
I put the word "right" in quotes because I know that right may be subjective/not exact when it comes to ring-shopping.
But most importantly, I want to make her happy and at the very least give her a ring that closely matches what she wants.

I've read some information online, to better understand some of the terminologies, and I'll do my best below to list some of the requirements/preferences.
In advance, I am grateful and do appreciate all the help you can render me.

She would prefer a white and yellow-gold two-tone ring, but the link below may be the closest I've found to matching the style she desires.

I also found others at Blue Nile that would have been matches, but unfortunately they are not two-tone

Preferences:

Setting: white and yellow gold two-tone

Center Stone type: Earth diamond
Shape: non-round; preferably Oval, Pear, Solitaire, Marquise, Heart, or Emerald
Colour - D-F
Clarity - VS1-VS2 or better, basically clean to the eyes
Cut - Excellent/Ideal cut (but flexible if that's asking for too much)
Center stone carat - Anything in the range of 1 carat would suffice or at least >0.9 at a minimum (but this is flexible).

I live in the U.S. and my budget is floating around <~4k.
If my bugdget does not match the requirements please let me know. I may admit I am almost clueless when it comes to this,
I only wish I found this community sooner.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your budget may not cover a 1 carat stone and a fairly elaborate setting. Halo settings do make stones look bigger so perhaps
you can drop down some in carat weight.

Here are some from Gabriel and co. IDJ sales Gabriel and co (usually at a better price then what you see at the Gab site).

I checked BlueNile and JamesAllen and neither one of those looks like they have any two tone halos.

I would encourage you Not to go with Shane and Co just due to the quality.

Call ID Jewelry. Talk to Yekutiel...tell him Pricescope sent you and what you are looking for. See what they can do. Thats my best advice.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has your GF considered doing a solid gold (white or yellow) engagement ring and then getting a wedding band
in the other color gold to achieve a mixed metal look?

Edit

If you have a local jeweler that is good you can ask them about some of these Stuller settings. If you get your stone through ID Jewelry
I think they will/can do Stuller for you also (but ask).

David Klass could certainly make any setting you want but its not going to fit in your budget.

Basically, IMO, you can have a nice stone in a simple setting or a not so great smaller stone in an elaborate setting in your budget.
I dont think your budget is going to cover both...but call ID Jewelry. If your budget doesnt cover both then you need to speak with
your GF and ask her what her priorities are as far as an engagement ring goes.

Last edited:

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I would recommend not compromising on cut, as it's the most important and affects sparkle! You can definitely widen your search color wise to D-I to get a bigger stone, unless you or your girlfriend are color sensitive or there are cultural reasons to stay with a high color. If you are willing to search, you may find a SI1-2 stone that is eye clean as well.

In regards to shape, the link below compares how different shapes look:

James Allen is another good site to check out! Here's one from Blue Nile with rose gold, you could call to ask if it can be made with yellow gold instead!

One of my friends has a platinum or white gold engagement ring, and stacks it with petite yellow gold and rose gold eternity bands to get the mixed metal look, and it looks great!

Last edited:

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Since your budget is not very realistic, you may want to compromise on color and clarity. In fact, in my opinion that is not a compromise. I never recommend clients to buy this color range unless they are adamant about it. A G-H are very white and I-J are offer great value and a beautiful ivory white. But in a fancy shape perhaps go not lower than an I.

As to clarity you do not need a VS1. Try to go for an eye clean SI1. Of course you could aim higher but it is not necessary and if you had the budget by all means do so if you want to splurge but the budget is very tight because the setting could cost that much in this case.

Something has to give. Never compromise on cut or overall quality on diamonds and settings by going to mass producers, mall stones.

The other people here will assist you with Choices as long as you are open. Best of Luck to you!

Exodus

Rough_Rock
Since your budget is not very realistic, you may want to compromise on color and clarity. In fact, in my opinion that is not a compromise. I never recommend clients to buy this color range unless they are adamant about it. A G-H are very white and I-J are offer great value and a beautiful ivory white. But in a fancy shape perhaps go not lower than an I.

As to clarity you do not need a VS1. Try to go for an eye clean SI1. Of course you could aim higher but it is not necessary and if you had the budget by all means do so if you want to splurge but the budget is very tight because the setting could cost that much in this case.

Something has to give. Never compromise on cut or overall quality on diamonds and settings by going to mass producers, mall stones.

The other people here will assist you with Choices as long as you are open. Best of Luck to you!

Hi Sunstorm, thanks you for your input. I am open to compromising on color and clarity, quite frankly if it is clean to the eyes. Expanding the color range to D-H is quite okay with me, as long as tints are difficult to perceive to the naked eye. From what I read, I conceived the idea that a VS1 or better would prevent inclusions that are easy to discern.

Exodus

Rough_Rock
I would recommend not compromising on cut, as it's the most important and affects sparkle! You can definitely widen your search color wise to D-I to get a bigger stone, unless you or your girlfriend are color sensitive or there are cultural reasons to stay with a high color. If you are willing to search, you may find a SI1-2 stone that is eye clean as well.

In regards to shape, the link below compares how different shapes look:

James Allen is another good site to check out! Here's one from Blue Nile with rose gold, you could call to ask if it can be made with yellow gold instead!

One of my friends has a platinum or white gold engagement ring, and stacks it with petite yellow gold and rose gold eternity bands to get the mixed metal look, and it looks great!

Thank you for your suggestions. No, there is no culturally significant reason to stay with a high color at all. That link you shared from beverlydiamonds.com is actually quite a revelation to me. Not too huge a difference to me between the 3/4 and the 1 carat, so I will be willing to go down as low as 0.85 in Carat size if need be.

I called Blue Nile in taking to your advise, but unfortunately they don't offer it in the preference I mentioned.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With $4k I'm thinking $2k for the diamond and $2k for the setting.

$2k at Blue Nile, JA, or B2C will not get you a .85 H+/Si1+ oval or pear.

Your sort of stuck right now. You need to figure out what your priorities are. Also call IDJ. They work pretty good in tight budgets but
still not sure if they can do what you want.

Exodus

Rough_Rock
I think your budget may not cover a 1 carat stone and a fairly elaborate setting. Halo settings do make stones look bigger so perhaps
you can drop down some in carat weight.

Here are some from Gabriel and co. IDJ sales Gabriel and co (usually at a better price then what you see at the Gab site).

I checked BlueNile and JamesAllen and neither one of those looks like they have any two tone halos.

I would encourage you Not to go with Shane and Co just due to the quality.

Call ID Jewelry. Talk to Yekutiel...tell him Pricescope sent you and what you are looking for. See what they can do. Thats my best advice.

Hi Tyty333, your point is well received. My research and reading is actually what led me not to jump at the option of the Shane Setting.

And I can't thank you enough for the links you shared for the Gabrielny website. Those settings look really great. I got a chance to speak with my lady, and she is quite more flexible than I originally imagined. And frankly speaking, a simpler setting like the ones you linked from the Gabrielny website would suffice. Does gabrielny come highly recommended? If so, I'm inclined to call idjewelry as you suggestd.

Exodus

Rough_Rock
With $4k I'm thinking $2k for the diamond and $2k for the setting.

$2k at Blue Nile, JA, or B2C will not get you a .85 H+/Si1+ oval or pear.

Your sort of stuck right now. You need to figure out what your priorities are. Also call IDJ. They work pretty good in tight budgets but
still not sure if they can do what you want.

Hi Tyty, for the listed preference, what's a realistic cost for the stone? $2.5k or $3k?

Settings like the ones in the link below would work beautifully.

I do admit the price for the setting has got me scratching my head, since the price shown is for setting only. But I may be in luck if I can find a discounted offer on it. Or I might need to look further.

If the setting and stone are purchased from different retailers, how would the insurance coverage be negotiated? I want to at least be able to have some sort of assurance in that area. In case a stone falls off. I imagine it would be more costly since I would also need to find a jeweler to set the stone for me.

The preference would be for a nicer stone in a simpler setting if push came to shove.

Last edited:

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
Ohhhh, try David at Www.diamondsbylauren.com

They specialize in fancy cuts, and have some incredible deals at times. They also seem to do a lot of mixed metal settings.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You could choose a simple setting on a very tight budget if you cannot increase it. I just hope she likes that style. It Is hard. It could be a matter of taste.

I for example do not like simple solitaires in most cases at all (save for a Dreame large stone like a 3-5 ct and over) but most women do. I did have clients where the ladies absolutely wanted something more with pave and got very upset when the boyfriend wanted to get them a soli.

If I understand it correctly she did pick a more elaborate setting. In this case call the vendors others recommended. Try for a setting with some metalwork/pave but not one with larger diamonds/very elaborate.

You will have to ease your search criteria on the stone. The vendors can probably help you get a budget option. A budget stone does not mean that it is bad. I have and have seen totally amazing SI2s. I own such a Marquise with one inclusion, beautiful stone. I have seen a pear where it took me a very long time to find the inclusion with a loupe and yes it was SI. The vendors recommended here usually have some great options.

You can think about color. Definitely go down but think out of the box a bit. What about a light yellow? Gorgeous and great on a budget. But talking to the vendors will help you see what options you have.

I would normally recommend getting the best stone you can in a simple setting but she wants a fancy shape and a fancy setting and if she has such a strong preference, I would not even try a rounds solitaire.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was hoping that you would find an oval setting that she might like. I think your chances at finding a stone with nice light return are better with an
oval (but we can search for both).

I think you'll need about $2500 for the stone (at least with James Allen and Blue Nile).

You do need to call IDJ. They do have some settings in stock. It would be a miracle if they had a mixed metal oval/pear in the size you need
but who knows? You couldnt convince GF to go with a solid metal then a wedding band in the other metal? That would make it so much
easier for you and your budget. Dont want her to give up her dream though.

Here are some prices from IDJ on oval settings (non-mixed metals). Just FYI

Exodus

Rough_Rock
You could choose a simple setting on a very tight budget if you cannot increase it. I just hope she likes that style. It Is hard. It could be a matter of taste.

I for example do not like simple solitaires in most cases at all (save for a Dreame large stone like a 3-5 ct and over) but most women do. I did have clients where the ladies absolutely wanted something more with pave and got very upset when the boyfriend wanted to get them a soli.

If I understand it correctly she did pick a more elaborate setting. In this case call the vendors others recommended. Try for a setting with some metalwork/pave but not one with larger diamonds/very elaborate.

You will have to ease your search criteria on the stone. The vendors can probably help you get a budget option. A budget stone does not mean that it is bad. I have and have seen totally amazing SI2s. I own such a Marquise with one inclusion, beautiful stone. I have seen a pear where it took me a very long time to find the inclusion with a loupe and yes it was SI. The vendors recommended here usually have some great options.

You can think about color. Definitely go down but think out of the box a bit. What about a light yellow? Gorgeous and great on a budget. But talking to the vendors will help you see what options you have.

I would normally recommend getting the best stone you can in a simple setting but she wants a fancy shape and a fancy setting and if she has such a strong preference, I would not even try a rounds solitaire.

From the information I gathered while speaking with her, I know her preference would be for a Pave-style rather than a simple Solitaire. But from what you wrote, if the rock islarge enough to justify a simple setting, I bet she would be floored in spite of the simplicity of a Solitaire.

To refine my earlier statements, after respectfully hearing from everyone here about just how in over my head I might be with the requirements relative to my budget, I should adjust that while she would love an elaborate setting, settings similar to the one linked by tyty333 from Gabriel and Co are fantastic choices. I chose about 3 two-tone settings from there that I felt would be beyond sufficient.

The next conversation I have with her will be to gather if she would fancy a single-tone pave-setting, with the option of the future band as the second tone. I would assume that this will bring down the setting cost hopefully by another $700-800. And that is $ that can be added to a more elaborate stone.

My biggest concern about the stone is the fact that I can't examine it physically/in person. Yet still, I would be willing to purchase an SI1 or SI2 as long as the inclusion is one (or two) that isn't so obvious.

Exodus

Rough_Rock
I was hoping that you would find an oval setting that she might like. I think your chances at finding a stone with nice light return are better with an
oval (but we can search for both).

I think you'll need about $2500 for the stone (at least with James Allen and Blue Nile).

You do need to call IDJ. They do have some settings in stock. It would be a miracle if they had a mixed metal oval/pear in the size you need
but who knows? You couldnt convince GF to go with a solid metal then a wedding band in the other metal? That would make it so much
easier for you and your budget. Dont want her to give up her dream though.

Here are some prices from IDJ on oval settings (non-mixed metals). Just FYI

Hi tyty333, thanks again for these information and ideas. I hope the information I supplied earlier didn't give you the impression that I am only considering the pear stone option. An oval stone is very much in play. While the pear stone would be the Primary Option 1, I firmly believe that an Oval stone is not far behind it. Especially if it aligns the total realistic cost with my budgeted value.

$2500 is fair and par value. Blue Nile, James Allen, or anywhere else recommended by you kind folks here.

I plan to find out if the option of a solid metal with the option of a band as a second metal is one she would fancy as well.

Again these resources you're sharing are eye-popping to me. This setting is a very nice piece, to me.

One question I have that is unanswered is, if I get a setting from ID jeweler, would they also suggest a matching stone, or would you recommend buying the stone from blue nile or james allen? And if so, would I need a local jeweler to set the stone or would IDJ do it for me? And who covers the insurance if it needs any type of repair or adjustment?

Last edited:

Exodus

Rough_Rock
Just saw this stone on Blue Nile (FYI)

Great price, great find. May I ask you why this stone is a better choice than the one immediately to the right of it.
I see that the cut and clarity of the stone immediately to the right of it is slightly better, and the stone itself is slightly bigger, but the color is slightly less.

1577595628700.png

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
If you have the time, I think you could consider buying one or more lower color stones to examine in person, and show to your lady, with the ability to easily return them. If time is on your side, I think you will be more likely to get what you want within budget.

As an example, this is a round L Si1, with an HCA score of 1.8:

1.01.PNG

Exodus

Rough_Rock
If you have the time, I think you could consider buying one or more lower color stones to examine in person, and show to your lady, with the ability to easily return them. If time is on your side, I think you will be more likely to get what you want within budget.

As an example, this is a round L Si1, with an HCA score of 1.8:

1.01.PNG

That's a fine recommendation Polyhex. I can go into a local jewelry store here for a color compare.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great price, great find. May I ask you why this stone is a better choice than the one immediately to the right of it.
I see that the cut and clarity of the stone immediately to the right of it is slightly better, and the stone itself is slightly bigger, but the color is slightly less.

1577595628700.png

It's a lot prettier than the one immediately to the right of it, which is fugly. Pay no attention to the cut ratings for non-round shapes - I have no idea how they're calculated and they don't correspond to what actually looks good.

If you get the setting through IDJ, they can also sell you the diamond.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do admit the price for the setting has got me scratching my head, since the price shown is for setting only. But I may be in luck if I can find a discounted offer on it. Or I might need to look further.

The settings you like are all very complex and you can't go much cheaper than that and get a decently-made one. If you get one that is not well-made, it will be prone to losing side diamonds or warping and you'll need to spend more money in the long term to fix that or buy a new setting.

Quite frankly I don't really "get" why two-tone if all the other color is underneath it, because it won't be visible at all once you add a wedding band.

I also would NOT get one with diamonds on the side of it facing outwards (like the Gabriel & Co examples you liked) because those are the diamonds most at risk of loss or damage if you are wearing a wedding band with it. It's just... if $4k is a stretch for you, I would NOT get a ring style that is going to experience problems more frequently than most others. I understand the desire for something like that, but if I were you, I'd opt for a sturdier style - pave is fine, but get top-facing pave only.

If the setting and stone are purchased from different retailers, how would the insurance coverage be negotiated? I want to at least be able to have some sort of assurance in that area. In case a stone falls off. I imagine it would be more costly since I would also need to find a jeweler to set the stone for me.

With your budget, I would get stone and setting at the same place. Check your homeowners or renters insurance policy - this ring is probably at a price where it would be covered under that without an extra rider. Check to see if it covers loss or theft outside the home, on vacation, etc. Most of us here have our jewelry insured with Jeweler's Mutual, but I'm not sure it's worth it to get a standalone policy for just $4k of coverage.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
@Exodus I think you will do fine because you have very nice setting options now that are not so pricey and a .8 pear or oval is already a great size since these shapes face up so much larger than rounds. I own a .79 pear that even others in the trade often mistake for a 1.2 stone. This is one of the reasons fancy cuts are so much fun to select, the elongated shapes face up much larger. There is also room to play with the cut. Cut ratings here mean nothing pretty much. In my opinion Marquise and pears face up the largest followed by ovals. It can be difficult sometimes to find a well cut stone but the people here will offer great help. There are many duds in fancy shapes too. The end result will be very unique though.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi tyty333, thanks again for these information and ideas. I hope the information I supplied earlier didn't give you the impression that I am only considering the pear stone option. An oval stone is very much in play. While the pear stone would be the Primary Option 1, I firmly believe that an Oval stone is not far behind it. Especially if it aligns the total realistic cost with my budgeted value.

$2500 is fair and par value. Blue Nile, James Allen, or anywhere else recommended by you kind folks here.

I plan to find out if the option of a solid metal with the option of a band as a second metal is one she would fancy as well.

Again these resources you're sharing are eye-popping to me. This setting is a very nice piece, to me.

One question I have that is unanswered is, if I get a setting from ID jeweler, would they also suggest a matching stone, or would you recommend buying the stone from blue nile or james allen? And if so, would I need a local jeweler to set the stone or would IDJ do it for me? And who covers the insurance if it needs any type of repair or adjustment?

If you get a setting from IDJ they will find stones for you. Sometimes they can get the stones listed by other vendors (JA and Blue Nile). Most
stones are not "owned" by these companies. They pull from a database of stones that are owned by someone else so you will see the same
stone listed on multiple vendor sites. If you get a stone from somewhere else IDJ will usually* set it but you need to have it insured for setting
through your homeowners insurance or Jewelers Mutal (or some other company). That's why its easier to get it all done in one place.

As far as the stone I posted and the one next to it...the most important thing is the cut and whether the facets return light back to your eye.
The stone I posted has distinct facets that can clearly be seen as the stone turns. It has a minimal amount of "mushy" area where the light
is not being returned to the eye. The area in red shows nice facets. Bring the web pages up and play with the stones to see what happens
when you turn the stone. You should have more distinct facets, that return light well, come into view. Its a fine line that is difficult to explain
but if you look at enough stones you will begin to recognize the stones with nice light return.

Also, the areas that do not reflect light well (mushy areas) will tend to be darker and show the color in the stone.
Mushy areas in stones will show more tint than the facets that return light well. You really dont want to see this.
Capture1.PNG Capture.PNG

FYI fancy cut stones like pears and ovals usually hide inclusions better than round brilliants. I would drop down to an eye-clean SI1 to help
with your budget.

If your GF would be willing to go with a single tone ring and the opposite color in a wedding band it will open up a lot more choices for you.
Probably some with better prices as well.

So pear vs oval. Does she have a preference? I have a pear engagement ring and while I love the beautiful teardrop shape, they just dont
tend to return light as well as other stones. IMO (no scientific study :rodent: ) a well-cut oval will have more area with good light return than an
equivalent size pear. The pointed end of a pear is almost always mushy. The best pears as far as light return have a rounded end that is
more like a round brilliant. However, these stones are usually short and fat and dont give you a beautiful long teardrop shape.

Exodus

Rough_Rock
The settings you like are all very complex and you can't go much cheaper than that and get a decently-made one. If you get one that is not well-made, it will be prone to losing side diamonds or warping and you'll need to spend more money in the long term to fix that or buy a new setting.

Quite frankly I don't really "get" why two-tone if all the other color is underneath it, because it won't be visible at all once you add a wedding band.

You raise a thought-provoking point here about the color being hidden with the addition of a wedding band. Frankly speaking, it basically nullifies the second tone in those settings. That was some thing I didn't think carefully about when making those choices, I was all but focused on the multi-tone.
It would be ideal to have one where the second shank would carry the second tone, or maybe even the halo would carry stones of a second tone. I think such options would be more forgiving in stone color choice, because the stone would blend.

Thank you for raising these points.
I also would NOT get one with diamonds on the side of it facing outwards (like the Gabriel & Co examples you liked) because those are the diamonds most at risk of loss or damage if you are wearing a wedding band with it. It's just... if $4k is a stretch for you, I would NOT get a ring style that is going to experience problems more frequently than most others. I understand the desire for something like that, but if I were you, I'd opt for a sturdier style - pave is fine, but get top-facing pave only.
Your point is well-received. But I don't understand what you mean by top-facing pave. Since I'm not well versed in the terminology, would that be the same/similar as a Halo style?

With your budget, I would get stone and setting at the same place. Check your homeowners or renters insurance policy - this ring is probably at a price where it would be covered under that without an extra rider. Check to see if it covers loss or theft outside the home, on vacation, etc. Most of us here have our jewelry insured with Jeweler's Mutual, but I'm not sure it's worth it to get a standalone policy for just $4k of coverage.
I will check on my insurance coverage just to be sure. I appreciate your thoughtful input/guidance. Many thanks.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you open to pre-loved at all b/c this is what i would get given your parameters. Once you have it professionally polished it will look like new.

1577653048304.png

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
\Your point is well-received. But I don't understand what you mean by top-facing pave. Since I'm not well versed in the terminology, would that be the same/similar as a Halo style?

No - well yes, but also, I mean, pave that won't be facing directly to the side of the ring wear another band would be worn.

On this one, for instance, ALL the diamonds on the yellow gold part would be rubbing against a wedding band. If you wear a diamond wedding band, the diamonds will chip each other and will wear down the prongs fairly fast, and if you wear a plain wedding band, they will still rub away the prongs, just much more slowly. Top-facing pave would be all the pave that is NOT on the yellow gold - it's facing out, not to the side.

Here are some rings with mixed metals on the band:

I might also consider a yellow or rose gold ring with a white head to hold the stone, and then one or two white gold diamond bands for the wedding band(s), which will give the same look as some of the rings you are considering but more money for a bigger diamond. Some examples:

plus:

Exodus

Rough_Rock
@Exodus I think you will do fine because you have very nice setting options now that are not so pricey and a .8 pear or oval is already a great size since these shapes face up so much larger than rounds. I own a .79 pear that even others in the trade often mistake for a 1.2 stone. This is one of the reasons fancy cuts are so much fun to select, the elongated shapes face up much larger. There is also room to play with the cut. Cut ratings here mean nothing pretty much. In my opinion Marquise and pears face up the largest followed by ovals. It can be difficult sometimes to find a well cut stone but the people here will offer great help. There are many duds in fancy shapes too. The end result will be very unique though.

Thank you for the encouragement Sunstorm, I will keep soaking in these information, I think with all your help we'really converging and getting closer. Even if I have to find a way to spend an additional $500

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results