shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Finding a Two-Tone Engagement Ring Please

Exodus

Rough_Rock
If you get a setting from IDJ they will find stones for you. Sometimes they can get the stones listed by other vendors (JA and Blue Nile). Most
stones are not "owned" by these companies. They pull from a database of stones that are owned by someone else so you will see the same
stone listed on multiple vendor sites. If you get a stone from somewhere else IDJ will usually* set it but you need to have it insured for setting
through your homeowners insurance or Jewelers Mutal (or some other company). That's why its easier to get it all done in one place.

As far as the stone I posted and the one next to it...the most important thing is the cut and whether the facets return light back to your eye.
The stone I posted has distinct facets that can clearly be seen as the stone turns. It has a minimal amount of "mushy" area where the light
is not being returned to the eye. The area in red shows nice facets. Bring the web pages up and play with the stones to see what happens
when you turn the stone. You should have more distinct facets, that return light well, come into view. Its a fine line that is difficult to explain
but if you look at enough stones you will begin to recognize the stones with nice light return.

Also, the areas that do not reflect light well (mushy areas) will tend to be darker and show the color in the stone.
Mushy areas in stones will show more tint than the facets that return light well. You really dont want to see this.
Capture1.PNG Capture.PNG

FYI fancy cut stones like pears and ovals usually hide inclusions better than round brilliants. I would drop down to an eye-clean SI1 to help
with your budget.

If your GF would be willing to go with a single tone ring and the opposite color in a wedding band it will open up a lot more choices for you.
Probably some with better prices as well.

So pear vs oval. Does she have a preference? I have a pear engagement ring and while I love the beautiful teardrop shape, they just dont
tend to return light as well as other stones. IMO (no scientific study :rodent: ) a well-cut oval will have more area with good light return than an
equivalent size pear. The pointed end of a pear is almost always mushy. The best pears as far as light return have a rounded end that is
more like a round brilliant. However, these stones are usually short and fat and dont give you a beautiful long teardrop shape.
Wow, great insight and knowledge. Thanks for educating me. That was really helpful for me.
For the sake of having a clearer direction and convergence, we can settle for an Oval stone.

I'm still carving out the chance to ask ask about the tone, so I should have an answer on that quite soon.

Exodus

Rough_Rock
No - well yes, but also, I mean, pave that won't be facing directly to the side of the ring wear another band would be worn.

On this one, for instance, ALL the diamonds on the yellow gold part would be rubbing against a wedding band. If you wear a diamond wedding band, the diamonds will chip each other and will wear down the prongs fairly fast, and if you wear a plain wedding band, they will still rub away the prongs, just much more slowly. Top-facing pave would be all the pave that is NOT on the yellow gold - it's facing out, not to the side.

Here are some rings with mixed metals on the band:

I might also consider a yellow or rose gold ring with a white head to hold the stone, and then one or two white gold diamond bands for the wedding band(s), which will give the same look as some of the rings you are considering but more money for a bigger diamond. Some examples:

plus:

This is just great. I love all the awesome ideas and feedback. Really thank you to all of you and frankly, I wouldn't have gotten this far or anywhere close trying to do it all myself, let alone factoring in the time it would take. I truly an grateful.

All that said, I actually like this option below from one of your links and I think it fits with your recommendations of staying away from something that will rub and get easily dislodged. It is also two-tone while sporting an oval center stone, and is reasonably priced. If I'm lucky and there is a sale ongoing, I might be able to manage extra discounts on it too.

The others looked bery good as well, I'm still looking to find out about the bands from my lady. Depending on how specific or nitpicky she wants to be about that. I will reply soon.

Exodus

Rough_Rock
I have finally got some hopefully better/pointed answers.

1) Single tone is fine/too if it comes down to it, but likes a wide band at the top instead of a narrow one (even a split shank but one where the shanks are not too separated.
2) Oval is great too, and so is Marquise, pear, etc . But no round stone.
3)If multi-tone, doesn't want rose gold as the second tone. Second tone should be a yellow gold.

Hope some of these answers help a lot.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately rose gold is really popular right now so a lot of the mixed metals you find will be in white/rose gold. I did find this one in yellow but
no halo. It does come in marquise, oval, and pear.

Did I throw this one out yet? It's a whole lot of ring for the cost. Not sure if its your GF's taste. She would either need to wear a spacer band with it
or a curved wedding band due to the gallery (underside of the setting). She could wear a yellow gold spacer band then a white and yellow gold wedding
band.

This is a spacer band...it just holds the wedding band off the engagement ring so it doesnt get eaten up by the diamond in the gallery.

Exodus

Rough_Rock
Happy New Year to you all.

Hi Tyty333, I managed to get a picture of one she likes just to finally get a semblance of some perspective on her taste.

I showed her the two tone you shared earlier, but she didn't fancy that one. Thank you Happy New Year. I know this one shows a Marquise stone, but oval is fine too.
20200101_180736.jpg

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
So no two tone @Exodus ? Diamondsbylauren.com is screaming your name!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the widest halo band I can find at BlueNile thats in budget

Then she can do a yellow gold wedding band with it. (you would need to ask if this ring goes with the above setting)

James Allen options
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...nk-contour-diamond-engagement-ring-item-66370 hidden halo

Looks like you can either have halo with single pave shank or split shank with no halo. :cry:

Contact IDJ and see what they have to offer. They have access to settings from other makers.
Also...contact
DBL and see what they can offer. You dont have to go with either place but see what they can do for you.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, @Exodus! I'm not finding much in the way of nice ovals, but I did find this marquise I thought was nice. The facets seem really "on" and it's a nice icy white. I didn't purposefully search for D stones (I looked at D-G), but this just popped up... It's longer and more slender, but faceting looks great. I think it'll provide a larger look, and the price will allow you more cash for her halo setting. Hope this helps!!

9.64 x 4.61 mm, $1710

If you think this may be a contender, I'd advise that you put it on hold with JA.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, here are some settings I found that are halos, thicker on top, and in budget with the diamond above. I've listed the name, price, and a photo so you can search on the site for more info... I couldn't click on any of their items for whatever reason. :(

Windsor, $1950 (I really like this one)
Unique 14K White Gold Vintage Marquise Shape Halo Engagement Ring

Mavis, $2350 (this is a close second, with split shank)
14K White Gold Marquise Halo Diamond Engagement Ring

Marissa, $2365
14K White Gold Marquise Halo Diamond Engagement Ring angle 5

Shae, $1915
Platinum Marquise Halo Diamond Engagement Ring angle 4

Drew, $2215

NO NAME GIVEN, $2240

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found these completed rings at Diamonds by Lauren which are both pear and two-tone (but rose gold). and perhaps you could see if they could make similar but with yellow gold:

Exodus

Rough_Rock
Also, here are some settings I found that are halos, thicker on top, and in budget with the diamond above. I've listed the name, price, and a photo so you can search on the site for more info... I couldn't click on any of their items for whatever reason. :(

Windsor, $1950 (I really like this one)
Unique 14K White Gold Vintage Marquise Shape Halo Engagement Ring
Hi msop04. Thanks for your contributions.
This is nice. She would like this. Marissa and Shae as well.

Exodus

Rough_Rock

Then she can do a yellow gold wedding band with it. (you would need to ask if this ring goes with the above setting)

James Allen options
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...nk-contour-diamond-engagement-ring-item-66370 hidden halo

Looks like you can either have halo with single pave shank or split shank with no halo. :cry:

Contact IDJ and see what they have to offer. They have access to settings from other makers.
Also...contact
DBL and see what they can offer. You dont have to go with either place but see what they can do for you.

Hi tyty333
That setting which accepts (pear, oval, marquose) from Blue Nile is simple and elegant. She would like them.

Exodus

Rough_Rock
So no two tone @Exodus ? Diamondsbylauren.com is screaming your name!

Hi LinSF
Yes, thank yiu.
With the responses here about all the different factors such as cost involved with such a setting, and the point made earlier about the 2nd tone likely being hidden and potentially purchasing the second tone instead as a band if she chooses.

Exodus

Rough_Rock
I found these completed rings at Diamonds by Lauren which are both pear and two-tone (but rose gold). and perhaps you could see if they could make similar but with yellow gold:

It's very pretty and is a two tone. I assume the pink blends right in with the color of the center stone, being a K. My only question about this one is would it Sparkle and reflect nicely...that's my lone concern about it, and whether the color would appear milky. I will make it a point to call tomorrow.

Exodus

Rough_Rock
Hi, @Exodus! I'm not finding much in the way of nice ovals, but I did find this marquise I thought was nice. The facets seem really "on" and it's a nice icy white. I didn't purposefully search for D stones (I looked at D-G), but this just popped up... It's longer and more slender, but faceting looks great. I think it'll provide a larger look, and the price will allow you more cash for her halo setting. Hope this helps!!

9.64 x 4.61 mm, $1710

If you think this may be a contender, I'd advise that you put it on hold with JA.

Noted! And thank you.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

No problem! Glad to help! :)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Since you said she likes the top of the shank to be wider, I feel like a marquise would give the biggest "look," as it is going to take up more real estate N/S... and the setting can "fill in" for the width! ;-)

Exodus

Rough_Rock
Since you said she likes the top of the shank to be wider, I feel like a marquise would give the biggest "look," as it is going to take up more real estate N/S... and the setting can "fill in" for the width! ;-)

That's a very valid point. I completely understand what you mean.

Exodus

Rough_Rock
I got a chance to speak with David from DiamondsbyLauren

I will be calling Yekutiel soon with IDJeweler.

Exodus

Rough_Rock

Also, here are some settings I found that are halos, thicker on top, and in budget with the diamond above. I've listed the name, price, and a photo so you can search on the site for more
I found these completed rings at Diamonds by Lauren which are both pear and two-tone (but rose gold)

Hi you all,
Happy New Year and best wishes for the New Year! After much deliberation and conversations. It's basically come down to the Windsor pictured above courtesy msop04 and the completed two-tone posted at the link above by distracts (and also josieKat who previously suggested it on page1).
I do have the choice now, with your help, of choosing the Stone for either of these, so if you all may help recommend some diamonds that would be great for these two settingsthat are also priced reasonably within my budget.

From there I can come to a final decision.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m obsessed with the Windsor setting, it is timeless and also incredibly stylish right now. It also will look very high end!

Exodus

Rough_Rock
I’m obsessed with the Windsor setting, it is timeless and also incredibly stylish right now. It also will look very high end!

Thank you dreamer_Dacshie. That is option 1a. The pink is option 2. Now I simply need a recommendation for a stone to match the Windsor setting.

I'm grateful to everyone here and all the help I've received.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
1578750499344.png
Its important to look at mm dimensions not just carat weight. This one has a nice face up and a wider band as requested.

Or if you are still after the two tone look what about having a yellow stone?
1578750798655.png

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
9.64 x 4.61 mm, $1710

@Exodus, I think this stone would look spectacular in the Windsor!! Put that baby on hold ASAP!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Exodus

I finally got the link to work for the Windsor. This is in 14K white gold @ $1950.

You'd need to make sure the dimensions of whatever stone you choose will fit - they can help with that. It was listed as 1 ct (6.5 mm), which is dumb, because that's the diameter for a round stone. :roll:

Exodus

Rough_Rock
@Exodus

I finally got the link to work for the Windsor. This is in 14K white gold @ $1950.

You'd need to make sure the dimensions of whatever stone you choose will fit - they can help with that. It was listed as 1 ct (6.5 mm), which is dumb, because that's the diameter for a round stone. :roll:

I'm going to provide the details for the stone you referred to Yekutiel for feedback on setting it into the ring.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to provide the details to Yekutiel for feedback.

Details of the diamond?? It's a fancy, so you'll need to send him the link for viewing. :) Also, JA stones aren't "in house", so maybe IDJ can get it for you?? I'd ask.

ETA: just realized this was for the setting... I believe he can get this for you as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results