shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding a stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alamb

Rough_Rock
OK, I''m back to the drawing board and if anyone feels like finding my a stone, I''m recruiting! I''m looking for 2.75-3 ish ct, RB, D or E color, EX polish, EX symmetry, VS1-2 or (possibly) a completely eyeclean SI-1, rating excellent (under 2) on HCA and ideal scope and all that. This is a 10 year anniversary upgrade ring from my H color, SI2, 1.1 ct (very poorly cut in my opinion - not certified) stone. I only get to do this once, our budget is 50-65 and I want it to be unbelievable.

I''m close to giving up, I''ve been looking and looking and in this size, finding good quality has been hard for me.

If anyone feels like helping, I''ll take the help.

Allison

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI, Allison! I''d recommend calling Jonathan at Good Old Gold and telling him what you are looking for. You are looking for a size and quality of stone that is not common, so you may have to wait for one to become available. Most vendors don''t stock a lot of stones in that size. But Jonathan works with several suppliers of ideal cut stones and he can check their inventory and call some in for you. Someone on here is looking at cushion shpae diamonds right now, and that is what they did. I''ll find the link to that thread for you.

avlis

Shiny_Rock
ya, a purchase like that, i dont think you want to just pick from what is displayed. conatct a few vendors and tell them what you want and let them do the searching. and be prepared to wait. a few months maybe.

on the bright side.. it will be freaking awesome once you get what you are looking for.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2006 9:24:50 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
HI, Allison! I'd recommend calling Jonathan at Good Old Gold and telling him what you are looking for. You are looking for a size and quality of stone that is not common, so you may have to wait for one to become available. Most vendors don't stock a lot of stones in that size. But Jonathan works with several suppliers of ideal cut stones and he can check their inventory and call some in for you. Someone on here is looking at cushion shpae diamonds right now, and that is what they did. I'll find the link to that thread for you.
Ditto Allison. Jonathon found the most amazing oval for me. It didn't take him long to find it either. With his resources and suppliers he should be able to locate a stone for you that will knock your socks off. I have bought twice from him, and am very pleased with my purchases. He's got a great eye, and is great to work with. Good luck!!!!
1.gif

alamb

Rough_Rock
Hi Starryeyed - yes I would consider an F, but I seem to be partial to E ( I''m probably too picky, I know). Also, I checked out the stone you linked and I think it is sold! It said, this is not available for purchase.

Hi Kaleigh, diamondseeker2006 and avlis - I tried some local jewelers a few months back and told them what I was looking for and to date, no one has found anything for me. I''ve mostly been looking at the online inventory and haven''t found much, but I haven''t actually given anyone online a call. I guess that is my next step. Thanks for the advice, I will take it!

Allison

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
alamb, lucky you! I ditto the gals on giving Jon a call at GOG. Stones that size are hard to find, but I know he can find you something spectacular. I got my ring there, they are great to work with!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I''d agree about reaching a vendor of choice for help. Meanwhile, here''s one you might check out, though with HCA of 2.4. It''s BICish.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Sorry about that AlamB. Looks like PhoenixGirl picked some nice ones - I like the first one.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2006 7:37:21 AM
Author: alamb

Hi Starryeyed - yes I would consider an F, but I seem to be partial to E ( I''m probably too picky, I know). Also, I checked out the stone you linked and I think it is sold! It said, this is not available for purchase.

Hi Kaleigh, diamondseeker2006 and avlis - I tried some local jewelers a few months back and told them what I was looking for and to date, no one has found anything for me. I''ve mostly been looking at the online inventory and haven''t found much, but I haven''t actually given anyone online a call. I guess that is my next step. Thanks for the advice, I will take it!

Allison

Alison, I know when I first started looking that I told a local jeweler that I''d give them the chance to find my stone IF they made the price competitive,and they couldn''t even up with any stones that met my specs. So this is not unusual. But Jonathan deals with several suppliers of excellent cut stones, so it is not as hard for him to locate the stones as it might be for a local jeweler who may only use one supplier of stones since their volume may not be as large. (forgive the overly long sentence!)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Here''s one if you don''t mind dropping to an F. BN has more too.

I went through this exercise myself and I think the difference between an E and an F is totally imperceptible face-up. D to F might be slightly noticeable, but only to an experienced well-trained eye, with the diamonds right next to one another. I think F''s are a great value - you get a much bigger stone for the same money and it''s still "colorless".

3.10 F VS2, 56%, 61.5%, EX/EX, 1.8 HCA $60,334

alamb

Rough_Rock
starryeyed - I started out wanting an F because I also believe it is so hard to tell the difference between E and F and that is probably the best place to be in the colorless zone pricewise. However, of course now I''ve looked at a few E colors and I always love them so I''ve been a little stuck on that. I think I need to look at some E''s and F''s side by side to convince myself that there is no way I could really tell the difference so I mine as well save myself some cash.

phoenixgirl - Thanks for the links, my favorite is the one with strong blue flourescence, but I''m thinking I read in a larger stone to stay away from that?

Ellen - Could you find a crown and pavilion angle on that stone? I''m not sure if I''m just missing it somewhere. I feel like I pretty much just ignore stones without that information! I wish all the site''s would have a link to the actual cert.
Diamondseeker2006- Jonathan has now been recommended by quite a few people, so I''ll have to give him a call!

Thanks again everyone!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
alamb, you''ll have to call them, there a toll free number at the top. They can give you a Sarin report, which will tell you all the numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results