shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding a stone please!

Kayelle

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Biting the bullet and finally getting an an engagement ring! This has been some years coming. We met with the jeweller last week here in Melbourne, Australia that we’re going with.

I’ve decided on the ‘Holly’ setting, in yellow gold but with platinum claws. It’s a 6 claw pavè setting with a hidden halo collar:
Have been quoted $2150AUD for this setting

I would love some help trawling their diamond inventory to find a stone to go with the ring! Originally I didn’t want to spend more than $3.5-4K AUD total, but my partner has upped that budget. He’s happy to go up to $7k AUD so I can get a bigger stone, but for lab grown I’d prefer to stick around $5-5.5k

So ideally I’d like:
D-F colour
VS1 or above (or VS2 where inclusions can be well hidden under the claws).
Ideal cut? Or is excellent ok

Size: 1.3-1.45ct
Stone cost: ideally no more than $3-3.5k

Help! I’m getting so lost when looking at their stones. The sales girl sent through some suggestions but they’re a bit more than I wanted to spend. If I can keep the ring price under $5k I’ll be happy!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you think of these?

Kayelle

Rough_Rock
What do you think of these?

That first one looks great - I’m surprised it’s been graded as a VS2, but then I don’t know a whole lot about inclusion grading!

Does it matter that the proportions are slightly out of the Pricescope recommendations for Crown Angle? Does that affect light return etc
?

Lisa Murphy

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Biting the bullet and finally getting an an engagement ring! This has been some years coming. We met with the jeweller last week here in Melbourne, Australia that we’re going with.

I’ve decided on the ‘Holly’ setting, in yellow gold but with platinum claws. It’s a 6 claw pavè setting with a hidden halo collar:
Have been quoted $2150AUD for this setting

I would love some help trawling their diamond inventory to find a stone to go with the ring! Originally I didn’t want to spend more than $3.5-4K AUD total, but my partner has upped that budget. He’s happy to go up to $7k AUD so I can get a bigger stone, but for lab grown I’d prefer to stick around $5-5.5k

So ideally I’d like:
D-F colour
VS1 or above (or VS2 where inclusions can be well hidden under the claws).
Ideal cut? Or is excellent ok

Size: 1.3-1.45ct
Stone cost: ideally no more than $3-3.5k

Help! I’m getting so lost when looking at their stones. The sales girl sent through some suggestions but they’re a bit more than I wanted to spend. If I can keep the ring price under $5k I’ll be happy!

I am just an old lady in the USA, but can't help myself. Please don't buy lab diamonds! You have probably worked so hard to be able to spend 5k on your ring, and if you buy a lab diamond your money is up in smoke. They have no intrinsic value, and if hard times come and you need some extra cash this will not be possible! Just an old lady talking out of turn, but you can afford a real diamond. Trust me!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That first one looks great - I’m surprised it’s been graded as a VS2, but then I don’t know a whole lot about inclusion grading!

Does it matter that the proportions are slightly out of the Pricescope recommendations for Crown Angle? Does that affect light return etc
?

It's a little shallower than usual, but the proportions still work well together, so it should be fine. If you have an ASET scope, you can verify the light return for yourself after you receive it. Since you're in Australia, it should be easy to order one from Garry Holloway's website.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I am just an old lady in the USA, but can't help myself. Please don't buy lab diamonds! You have probably worked so hard to be able to spend 5k on your ring, and if you buy a lab diamond your money is up in smoke. They have no intrinsic value, and if hard times come and you need some extra cash this will not be possible! Just an old lady talking out of turn, but you can afford a real diamond. Trust me!

My advice is to determine the reason why someone would choose LGD over EGD: one of the biggest draws seems to be that it is a testament to human ingenuity and accomplishment: we have the capability to contain and harness the power of the earth to make diamonds.

There have been numerous posts here over the many years by trade members (appraisers, jewelers, etc) that have honestly stated that the realistic loss that the average consumer will experience by selling a diamond is going to yield anywhere from 20-60% of the retail value...if a buyer can be found.

A well cut (GIA 3X or AGS 000) 1.3-1.5 D-F VS2+ EGD will likely ring up around $14000-22000, depending on the combination of color, clarity, and carat weight.

50% of that value is $7000-11000, which means the monetary loss is also that much.

Buying a well cut LGD of the same 4Cs at $3000 means that $4000-8000 has already been saved from the EGD loss of value, and $11000-19000 is saved at the time of purchase, which is quite a hefty emergency fund that can be socked away from day one.

We buy LGD for the value factor while getting the exact same material and optics of EGD.

There's no substitute for hundreds of millions of years in the making, and that's the allure that only EGD can provide. But, for most of us LGD shoppers, that's not an aspect that we particularly care about, since it's just the beautiful optics and light performance that only diamond material can provide that we're after.

Kayelle

Rough_Rock

I appreciate your honest response, thank you. That’s part of the reason I didn’t want to spend more than about $3.5k originally…. And was looking at stones around the 0.7ct mark.

Mined diamonds in Australia are 3-4x the price of lab grown :(

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lisa, coming into the lab diamonds forum to question people's decisions to buy lab diamonds just isn't it. Don't do it. There are plenty of threads that don't belong to individuals looking for stones where you can express your opinions; this isn't the place.

Sunrises Sunsets

Shiny_Rock

Sunrises Sunsets

Shiny_Rock
You gave me a good laugh and as another "old lady" in the USA I will say it's easy to get behind on current information. I would have no hesitation buying a gorgeous diamond created by the ingenuity of man, a lab diamond. I currently own diamonds grubbed out of the earth and the engagement stone which is over 2 carats. This stone is rated extremely well on the HCA scale, is a high G color, SI that is so eye clean that a loupe must be used to see any inclusions. It is a beautiful diamond and I receive many compliments about it. That $20,000. stone, when recently presented in a jewelry store that was hosting a buy-back event, received an $8000. offer. If I would have bought an $8000. mmd, I would be out $8000. If I took the buy back offer, I would be out $12000.

To the OP, go for a beautiful lab diamond and know that you will enjoy man's ingenuity and be able to save a large sum of money.

Lisa Murphy

Rough_Rock
My advice is to determine the reason why someone would choose LGD over EGD: one of the biggest draws seems to be that it is a testament to human ingenuity and accomplishment: we have the capability to contain and harness the power of the earth to make diamonds.

There have been numerous posts here over the many years by trade members (appraisers, jewelers, etc) that have honestly stated that the realistic loss that the average consumer will experience by selling a diamond is going to yield anywhere from 20-60% of the retail value...if a buyer can be found.

A well cut (GIA 3X or AGS 000) 1.3-1.5 D-F VS2+ EGD will likely ring up around $14000-22000, depending on the combination of color, clarity, and carat weight.

50% of that value is $7000-11000, which means the monetary loss is also that much.

Buying a well cut LGD of the same 4Cs at $3000 means that $4000-8000 has already been saved from the EGD loss of value, and $11000-19000 is saved at the time of purchase, which is quite a hefty emergency fund that can be socked away from day one.

We buy LGD for the value factor while getting the exact same material and optics of EGD.

There's no substitute for hundreds of millions of years in the making, and that's the allure that only EGD can provide. But, for most of us LGD shoppers, that's not an aspect that we particularly care about, since it's just the beautiful optics and light performance that only diamond material can provide that we're after.

I just wanted this lady to know she could afford an earth mined stone. There are many ways to obtain a nice emd and you don't have to pay retail. Please, buyers, don't fall for the false dichotomy. You can have a real diamond. Explore your alternatives! They are out there!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I just wanted this lady to know she could afford an earth mined stone. There are many ways to obtain a nice emd and you don't have to pay retail. Please, buyers, don't fall for the false dichotomy. You can have a real diamond. Explore your alternatives! They are out there!

LGD are just as much real diamonds as EGD...they're not simulants.
EGD vs LGD is only a reference to their origin, and the choice is up to the buyer to determine which would best fit their needs and wants.
There is no wrong choice between the two, and no one should be shunned or shamed for choosing one over the other.

Lisa Murphy

Rough_Rock
LGD are just as much real diamonds as EGD...they're not simulants.
EGD vs LGD is only a reference to their origin, and the choice is up to the buyer to determine which would best fit their needs and wants.
There is no wrong choice between the two, and no one should be shunned or shamed for choosing one over the other.

No shaming here, just people need to know what the reality is if they need to sell their diamond jewelry. I really believe that your jewelry should provide a safe haven for hard earned money and a potential investment as well.

Sunrises Sunsets

Shiny_Rock
No shaming here, just people need to know what the reality is if they need to sell their diamond jewelry. I really believe that your jewelry should provide a safe haven for hard earned money and a potential investment as well.

Did you miss my statement above? You most likely will lose more money buying an earth diamond than a beautiful, created by the genius of man, diamond. Unless you are holding on to the Hope Diamond or one of it's like pieces.

DejaWiz hit it right on the head, buy the type that makes you happy. But do NOT consider diamonds as an investment.

Lisa Murphy

Rough_Rock
Did you miss my statement above? You most likely will lose more money buying an earth diamond than a beautiful, created by the genius of man, diamond. Unless you are holding on to the Hope Diamond or one of it's like pieces.

DejaWiz hit it right on the head, buy the type that makes you happy. But do NOT consider diamonds as an investment.

No

Lisa Murphy

Rough_Rock
Not so, in my opinion. It all depends on what and how you buy. Tradespeople have a different perspective, to be sure. But I think everyone should be able to own quality jewelry that has intrinsic value (the value of precious metals and natural diamonds,gemstones, pearls, etc. ) The idea is to buy jewelry to enhance your holdings in tangible assets which can be a hedge against inflation and a solid investment if held over the long term. Any investment advisor will tell you these types of things should be part of a well managed portfolio.

Lisa Murphy

Rough_Rock
You gave me a good laugh and as another "old lady" in the USA I will say it's easy to get behind on current information. I would have no hesitation buying a gorgeous diamond created by the ingenuity of man, a lab diamond. I currently own diamonds grubbed out of the earth and the engagement stone which is over 2 carats. This stone is rated extremely well on the HCA scale, is a high G color, SI that is so eye clean that a loupe must be used to see any inclusions. It is a beautiful diamond and I receive many compliments about it. That $20,000. stone, when recently presented in a jewelry store that was hosting a buy-back event, received an $8000. offer. If I would have bought an $8000. mmd, I would be out $8000. If I took the buy back offer, I would be out $12000.

To the OP, go for a beautiful lab diamond and know that you will enjoy man's ingenuity and be able to save a large sum of money.

It is impossible to argue with someone who has already purchased one of these stones! You are probably in love with the appearance and size of the lab diamond, but for me it is more important to have the knowledge that my collection will retain value over the long term, and that if I fall on hard times it can be sold for more than its value of scrap gold.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
It is impossible to argue with someone who has already purchased one of these stones! You are probably in love with the appearance and size of the lab diamond, but for me it is more important to have the knowledge that my collection will retain value over the long term, and that if I fall on hard times it can be sold for more than its value of scrap gold.

If that's your mindset, then have at it.
Reality about the cost of ownership for LGD vs EGD over the long term states otherwise, irrefutably.

Lisa Murphy

Rough_Rock
Your jewelry shouldn't be a cost of ownership proposition! It should be money working for you that you can enjoy!

HerefortheBling

Shiny_Rock
Your jewelry shouldn't be a cost of ownership proposition! It should be money working for you that you can enjoy!

My EGD that I sold last year lost 60% (paid $10k and only got $3.8k). I don't think the money I put into the EGD worked for me! Therefore, I've moved on to labs where I can buy a lot more for a lot less money.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

That's exactly why we are here, in this LGD subforum, buying and recommending LGDs.
It's our money buying the best cut diamonds that works perfectly for us to enjoy in a way that only diamond performs.
Cut quality and performance first and foremost, everything else, including origin, is distant secondary. No EGD can provide the bang for the buck that LGD can. None.

Lisa Murphy

Rough_Rock
My EGD that I sold last year lost 60% (paid $10k and only got $3.8k). I don't think the money I put into the EGD worked for me! Therefore, I've moved on to labs where I can buy a lot more for a lot less money.

Why did you pay $10K if you knew it was o0nly worth 3.8k? That's not smart!

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Folks, please keep the thread on target. If you'd like to battle it out you're welcome to make your own thread. Topic at hand is helping the OP find the stone they want.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Folks, please keep the thread on target. If you'd like to battle it out you're welcome to make your own thread. Topic at hand is helping the OP find the stone they want.

Thank you, Ella...that's all most of us want, as well.

Kayelle, did you get a chance to look at some of the outstanding recommendations that Kim N provided and have you found any others that we can take a look at and offer feedback on?

Lisa Murphy

Rough_Rock
Ok, I understand. Thank you!

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I buy diamonds because they look pretty not to have a rainy day fund. That’s what savings accounts are for. I don’t think I will ever buy a mined diamond again now that it’s so easy to get lab diamonds.

Kayelle

Rough_Rock
Wow well this certainly escalated!! I appreciate all comments but yes, would actually like some help picking a stone.

@Kim N I quite like those stones, thank you. Will also have another look today through their inventory and post here in case I find something. The sales girl sent me some through but I feel I can get better value than what she sent.

Kayelle

Rough_Rock
So I’ve gone through and had another look, and can’t find another stone that I feel beats the one @Kim N found for value, with a good combination of colour vs. size vs. clarity and location of inclusions.

The inclusion only being underneath, what impact will that have visually?

I’ve placed the stone on hold for 24 hours. Unfortunately I don’t think I can view the stone in person before purchasing so may have to take a leap of faith! This is the certificate.

Before I commit, have I overlooked anything? At the end of the day I just want a beautiful, clear, sparkly ring :) 54722461-C703-4482-97DA-1CE48ECF13D6.png

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With a VS2, I think it would almost certainly be eye-clean.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I’ve gone through and had another look, and can’t find another stone that I feel beats the one @Kim N found for value, with a good combination of colour vs. size vs. clarity and location of inclusions.

The inclusion only being underneath, what impact will that have visually?

I’ve placed the stone on hold for 24 hours. Unfortunately I don’t think I can view the stone in person before purchasing so may have to take a leap of faith! This is the certificate.

Before I commit, have I overlooked anything? At the end of the day I just want a beautiful, clear, sparkly ring :) 54722461-C703-4482-97DA-1CE48ECF13D6.png

It looks very clean in the video. If they have a good return policy, no reason not to take the leap of faith.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results