shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding a pair of matched saphires.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ff

Shiny_Rock
Please help me find a pair of matched saphires. I''m looking specifically for a pair to go on on a 3-stone ring with the center stone being .66 carats.

I want to create the opposite of the ring in the photo with the center being the diamond and the side stones being saphires.

I definitely want light blue saphires like in that photo and I''d like to make sure that they are:

- VERY clear. (Some saphires seem cloudy and have no sparkle.)
- are very closely matched in color, size, clarity, etc. (Some places seem to sell pairs that are quite different from each other.)

Thanks everyone!
21.gif

J448_1.jpg

ff

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Pricescope,

I looked there already and the only stones that they seem to have in a size that will work are all very mismatched... for instance one being .38 carats and one .46 carats... That''s a 20% size difference yet their sold as pairs.

Any other ideas?
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t give up on a company like NSC just because you can''t find exactly what you want listed on their site. Perhaps they could find, or even have cut perfect stones for you.

Another approach would be to have the jeweler who doing the mounting source the sapphires for you... This is probably what I''d do, with the understanding that I would see and approve the stones before they are set.

widget

ff

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Widget. Some very helpful thoughts there.

What should I expect the range of prices to be for saphires like this? With diamonds, things seem so much clearer.
40.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
I dunno...you''re right...pricing colored stones is a whole different ball game than pricing diamonds! They shouldn''t be too awfully expensive, though...

One thing: I happen to think paying more for unheated stones is unnecessary for sidestones in an ER. Heat-only treatment should be just fine.

NSC only deals in untreated stones....another reason why going through your jeweler might be a better idea...

widget

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I tried to search cherrypicked for you and it was irritating to see almost all of the listed pairs SOLD.
I would give NSC a call, poster Selkie got her sapphire from them recently and was very happy.

ff

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the help everyone.
21.gif

Widget: I''ll swing into my jeweler today and see what he can find. In the meantime, I''ll keep an eye online too just in case I can find something nice there like the center diamond I already picked up.
9.gif

Pricescope: Yep, checked them too and saw the same thing. Will definitely drop a note to NSC as well.

Gary: I''m guessing you mean palagems.com? (google search result which seemed most promising
21.gif
). Thanks! Will ask my jeweler about possibly getting from them if he doesn''t have other sources.

Thanks again everyone! The search continues.
20.gif

riogems

Shiny_Rock
FF - this should be very easy to find because it is in a small size. You are probably looking for something 3.5mm or 4mm round? Be sure you''re not looking for only unheated stones (most stones in this small size are not going to have a respected lab report stating indications of heating anyway).

Also, when it comes to size, you don''t want to focus on the weight matching, you want the diameters to match (in terms of size). You will also want the colors to match, and the cuts to match as well.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/20/2006 1:27:04 PM
Author: riogems
FF - this should be very easy to find because it is in a small size. You are probably looking for something 3.5mm or 4mm round? Be sure you're not looking for only unheated stones (most stones in this small size are not going to have a respected lab report stating indications of heating anyway).

Also, when it comes to size, you don't want to focus on the weight matching, you want the diameters to match (in terms of size). You will also want the colors to match, and the cuts to match as well.
Good advice Rio:

Wink Jones just sourced me a very beatiful .70 ct Sapphire from PalaGems. Originally 2 stones were called in that were both 5.3 mm in diameter. One was .70 ct's which is what I decided to go with and the other was .80 cts. The diameters were the same, but the difference between the 2 gems was very evident. The .80 ct. was a little heavy which was "too dark". One gem was also from Ceylon and the other from Madagascar.
35.gif

FF:
35.gif
I think in your circumstance the "3-Stone" ring is a great idea. I think 2 bright lighter blue well cut rounds will display more brilliance, but you could also go with more depth in your two matching sapphires with a deeper vivvid depth of color which will add a little more "pop' to the look of your ring with the contrast it will provide. It's a matter of personal taste.
37.gif

Hope this helps..
41.gif

ff

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Riogems for the info. I was with you on most of it already but you caught a great one that I was overlooking which is to have the diameters match instead of the weight. I was too focused on the carats matching up. Thanks!
21.gif
21.gif

In terms of the cuts, I''m currently looking at Diamond cuts. Any reasons for or against this?

Hi Josh! Congratulations on your new .70 ct Sapphire! I''m sure it''s gorgeous! Post a photo! :> In terms of location (Ceylon vs. Madagascar vs. other) what should I be looking for?

I''m glad you like the idea too of the 2 blue round sapphires by the diamond center. Only thing I''m trying to figure out is which blue to go with!!! :> I think your point of going with a deeper blue to give more contrast ''pop'' is a great one. I''ve looked at quite a few now and am leaning towards a darker vivid blue but one that still shows clear through the sapphire to give more light reflections. Some just are too dark so only light off the surface seems to exist.

Thanks for all your great ideas both of you! It helps a lot. Gotta love PS.
21.gif
21.gif
21.gif

Fred

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results