shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding a lab grown 2ct radiant for future 20th anniversary ring?

sparkeygalore

Rough_Rock
Hello! Returning to Pricescope after years away as we begin to plot a 20 year anniversary ring. Our current brainstorm -- a toi et moi ring with a radiant regular and a pear salt and pepper diamond, in a nature inspired setting like they do at at Staghead Designs (see my very bad mock up below.) Our plan -- buy the radiant this winter in an inexpensive setting (to celebrate 20 years together.) Then keep saving and plan for the salt and pepper and custom setting in 2026 (to celebrate 20 years married.) Should be a fun project!

AnniversayRingMockup.jpg

So for phase 1, I am posting in hopes of help identifying a good radiant diamond. Looking for lab grown, rectangular, about 9mm high (so in the 2ct range). I care about fire and sparkle hands down more than clarity, so VS2 and up as long as inclusions easy to hide. Colorwise for my wedding ring diamond I was happy as low as H but I would like to see any lab diamonds in person to decide. No fluorescence. Not sure about the blue tint for lab diamonds, we're lab newbies (they were so expensive 20 years ago!) We want to spend around 3k for diamond and setting together and don't care much about the first setting since we'll get a better one in 2026.

The tricky part -- as mentioned I would really like to see any possible diamonds in person! We are based in CT so I'm looking at retailers with showrooms in NYC or Boston. So -- James Allen, Frank Darling, Ritani, am I missing any others? What should I be looking for in this cut?

So far liking that I can search for diamonds that are HPHT on Ritani, otherwise I'm getting overwhelmed by choices! I have found this but don't feel educated about the cut or lab diamonds enough to know if I should put it on hold:

Thanks for any help!!

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I'm no expert, but in general radiants are hard to judge for leakage without an ASET. Distinctive Gem has some great radiants, and Jonathan does has some great videos about bright crushed ice and mushy crushed ice. But I can never tell. Maybe @Karl_K can chime in?

I know you want to see the stones in person, but would you consider Jann Paul? Their radiants are all cut to their proprietary proportions and look amazing. I know they do video consultations, so you would be able to see some of the stones in real time.

Congrats on your upcoming happy milestones!

sparkeygalore

Rough_Rock
Distinctive Gem’s current in stock stones are out of our budget! As are the JannPaul stones. I’ve been drooling over all of them but I also know myself enough to stick to the plan. I have to take my rings off constantly for work and have lost and re-found my wedding ring multiple times! It’s stressful. So…. No being seduced over budget by pretty diamonds :)

snowballs mom

Shiny_Rock
Try Alex Park's antique lab Instagram. I just purchased a pair of round lab studs and a toi and moi emerald-pear combination from him that I am very happy with. I have seen a few radiants posted there.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
This one has a much better price at Ritani and same faceting pattern. And a much higher crown than the 2.14. 15.5 vs 13.5.

The cherry picked one on DG has a 16.5% crown.

Last edited:

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
settings on James Allen are 50% off until Oct. 31. You don't have to use Ritani to set the stone. I bought a stone from Ritani and sent it to JA to be set. Prices on settings you can't beat.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi All!!
Radiant cuts are a different sort of animal than a round brilliant. WIththe round the ASET gives lots of useful info.
Not really with a radiant.
Even the rotating videos are inconclusive.
It's not till I actually have the stone in hand that I can make a proper assessment.
I will say that even though the cut of most of the lab radiant cuts on the market don't "float my boat".... there are a limited number of stones I see that equal the amazing stones cut by The Original Radiant Company way back when.....
For me- a radiant lover- this is another bonus point for Lab Growns.
It's harder to find a really well cut Earth Radiant than a lab due to the numbers.....

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
@Rockdiamond Thanks so much for chiming in! We mainly have MRB experts here. I can't tell the difference between mushy crushed ice and bright crushed ice from the videos ... and now I know why.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My pleasure!
It's the unfortunate truth that many of the videos are misleading but the manner in which they're shot ( as fast and cheap as possible) means that no one vets them.
Taking pics of diamonds is a very tough job to do accurately!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results