shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding a HP LGD, please?

ArielleB

Shiny_Rock
I’ve just witnessed the considerable knowledge and helpfulness displayed on this forum and I’m hoping it can extend to my LGD search!

I’m looking for a round brilliant, 2ct. All LGDs appear to be very white, but I would prefer the F/G range (just not D, actually). I quickly realised I’m out of my depth in evaluating the considerable offerings from multiple vendors recommended here (blue nuance, methods of growth, interpreting angles, whaaaat?).

I started with Whiteflash’s LGD offerings, because that’s the kind of performance and precision I’m chasing. Alas, they’re kind of out of my price range-I’m in Australia and our dollar is rather weak at the moment (around half the $USD). I’m hoping to get something in the $1500-2500 range.

I would very much appreciate recommendations for a spectacular performer. Thanks in advance!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello, ArielleB!
I'll be happy to perform a search...does your budget include any applicable taxes and fees?

ArielleB

Shiny_Rock
Woo hoo, I was hoping you’d see this post, @DejaWiz !!

Yes, probably wise to consider taxes etc in that budget. If the vendor ships to Hong Kong, however, that’s where my favourite jeweller is (and I’m planning on getting her to make the setting).

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Woo hoo, I was hoping you’d see this post, @DejaWiz !!

Yes, probably wise to consider taxes etc in that budget. If the vendor ships to Hong Kong, however, that’s where my favourite jeweller is (and I’m planning on getting her to make the setting).

How does this one look to you?

ArielleB

Shiny_Rock
I’m really chasing that hearts and arrows precision. That one is nice, but not as super crisp as it could be?

I think 8mm is my max comfort

ArielleB

Shiny_Rock
IMG_1885.png
Thanks so much for helping, @DejaWiz !

This is the stone that started my search. Amazing. Just not the price. This one is also no longer available.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

ArielleB

Shiny_Rock

Thanks, I'd never heard of GCAL 8X! What do you think of this one?

I'm curious about the relative merits of something like this:

It's double the price for the WF. I have bought from WF in the past and seen their EG product, which doesn't necessarily connote LGD brand-loyalty (sorry, WF), if alternate products are comparable. I am simply keen to understand what I'm paying for.

Like many PS prosumers, I am attempting to balance mind-cleanliness with a budget. I have never bought an LGD before, and I have never worn a round brilliant as an ER before. It's quite the experiment, and I currently can't predict what will lead to the outcome of a satisfyingly-sparkly rock on my finger.

I am fairly confident an EG 2ct RB diamond would not bring me joy. I'd expect too much of it, seeing only the compromises that were dictated by budget. I enjoy the science of lab grown if the product really is comparable to EG (which is why blue nuance concerns me--what else marks LGD as not EG??). I do appreciate the prosocial aspects of LGDs.

Anyway, I drank the 'cut is king' Kool-Aid many years ago, so that continues to be my main objective with this purchase.

And I am very grateful for any education in LGD, and LGD HP vendors.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
Whiteflash diamonds are simply cut to a certain range of parameters. There is nothing that a non branded diamond cannot achieve it’s just that you have to hunt one out versus having it made easy for you to get a good one like Whiteflash does. It’s all just branding in the end. Are they consistently beautiful diamonds? Yes but you are paying a big markup for the name and customer service. Which to some people that’s worth it to set their mind at ease.

There are many members on here that can help you select a lab grown diamond that will be just as gorgeous as a Whiteflash branded stone. And most lab grown vendors that would be recommended here have good return policies so if you don’t love it you can send it back.

The question is can you get out of your head that only a Whiteflash stone will do?
If not then you should just go with that diamond.

An 8x GCAL round is similar to a Whiteflash stone in that it has a lot testing done to measure its performance. They must meet strict parameters to get the grade though I don’t know if those parameters correspond at all to the ones Whiteflash has set for their stones. I can tell you that I own 3 8x graded stones and they are consistently stunning lab diamonds. And next to my Brian Gavin earth grown diamonds (which also has a strict parameters for their branded diamonds) you visually cannot see a difference.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Thanks, I'd never heard of GCAL 8X! What do you think of this one?

I'm curious about the relative merits of something like this:

It's double the price for the WF. I have bought from WF in the past and seen their EG product, which doesn't necessarily connote LGD brand-loyalty (sorry, WF), if alternate products are comparable. I am simply keen to understand what I'm paying for.

Like many PS prosumers, I am attempting to balance mind-cleanliness with a budget. I have never bought an LGD before, and I have never worn a round brilliant as an ER before. It's quite the experiment, and I currently can't predict what will lead to the outcome of a satisfyingly-sparkly rock on my finger.

I am fairly confident an EG 2ct RB diamond would not bring me joy. I'd expect too much of it, seeing only the compromises that were dictated by budget. I enjoy the science of lab grown if the product really is comparable to EG (which is why blue nuance concerns me--what else marks LGD as not EG??). I do appreciate the prosocial aspects of LGDs.

Anyway, I drank the 'cut is king' Kool-Aid many years ago, so that continues to be my main objective with this purchase.

And I am very grateful for any education in LGD, and LGD HP vendors.

GCAL will perform quite a bit of assessing to ensure a diamond meets their rather strict 8X cut criteria, but they (like all other labs) are still pretty lax when it comes to material quality...that one has blue nuance.

ArielleB

Shiny_Rock
Brilliant, this is exactly what I was hoping to find out. Thanks so much.

Are all the 8x GCAL diamonds also controlled for LGD-specific issues (nuance, post growth treatment etc)? Tbh, when I say ‘etc’, I have no idea what the etc might entail.

I had a flick through the LGD vendors thread and there are so many! I would usually love going down the research rabbit hole, but in this instance I really appreciate the wisdom of the tribe, and I’m very grateful for help finding a great performer.

ArielleB

Shiny_Rock
Ha, I started replying and you answered my question before I pressed post! Next-level kind of help, lol.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Wow faint blue hue with faint orange fluorescence on the 2.05.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
GCAL will perform quite a bit of assessing to ensure a diamond meets their rather strict 8X cut criteria, but they (like all other labs) are still pretty lax when it comes to material quality...that one has blue nuance.

But it is noted on the report that it’s faint blue so while they don’t exude it from 8x grade it’s easily seen on the report.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
But it is noted on the report that it’s faint blue so while they don’t exude it from 8x grade it’s easily seen on the report.

Yes, but not always noted. And then there's CVD which is horrible to great and everything in between, but not a peep from any of the labs about material quality. I'm not picking on GCAL...I'm picking on them all.

ArielleB

Shiny_Rock
I’ve just had a fascinating read through some LG threads, after promising myself I wouldn’t get *another* research obsession. But it is so interesting! I should have done the research before posting, because so many of my questions have been answered time and again.

I am really looking forward to having a LGD now! I like the intersection of modern round brilliant cut with smarty-pants human technology. I also love my wonky old cut EGDs and my modern old cut EGDs. They all scratch different itches for me.

So, to find the perfect LGD…I’ve noticed @DejaWiz and @Kim N prefer HPHT Type IIa, so now I need to work out what that means, and how to find one.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I’ve just had a fascinating read through some LG threads, after promising myself I wouldn’t get *another* research obsession. But it is so interesting! I should have done the research before posting, because so many of my questions have been answered time and again.

I am really looking forward to having a LGD now! I like the intersection of modern round brilliant cut with smarty-pants human technology. I also love my wonky old cut EGDs and my modern old cut EGDs. They all scratch different itches for me.

So, to find the perfect LGD…I’ve noticed @DejaWiz and @Kim N prefer HPHT Type IIa, so now I need to work out what that means, and how to find one.

When you're ready to begin the hunt and finalize your list of contestants, just holler!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
ArielleB quick question: have you also looked at the inventory of Brian Gavin and Distinctive Gem, as well as inquired with Victor Canera, JannPaul, and Continental Diamond?
I only ask because since you're looking at Whiteflash, you may want to give the other SIC LGD sellers a fair shake, as well.
Has your budget cap changed?

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I have lovely CVD diamonds as well as HPHT. HPHT has its pitfalls and so does CVD. If you know what you are looking at you can get a beautiful stone from either process.

ArielleB

Shiny_Rock
Morning! I had looked at Distinctive Gem, because I've bought from Jonathan in the past. Thanks for the other recommendations!

@Jax172 I suspect it would take a while for me to really understand what I'm looking at, so I am truly grateful for suggestions from you all.

My budget is still the same ($2500ish USD). 2ct. White. SIC or close enough to. I don't have a preference for HPHT or CVD, or vendor.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Morning! I had looked at Distinctive Gem, because I've bought from Jonathan in the past. Thanks for the other recommendations!

@Jax172 I suspect it would take a while for me to really understand what I'm looking at, so I am truly grateful for suggestions from you all.

My budget is still the same ($2500ish USD). 2ct. White. SIC or close enough to. I don't have a preference for HPHT or CVD, or vendor.

Something like this maybe?

ArielleB

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much, @Kim N ! Price is right and it looks beautiful :kiss2: @DejaWiz posted an F from Adiamor--how do you think the two compare?

Has anyone had any experience with Novita Diamonds? They have a showroom in my city. While it would be good to see the diamond in person before purchasing, I'd love to hear if anyone has opinions about the potential quality of their product. Their diamonds are certified by IGI, which has some issues?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much, @Kim N ! Price is right and it looks beautiful :kiss2: @DejaWiz posted an F from Adiamor--how do you think the two compare?

Has anyone had any experience with Novita Diamonds? They have a showroom in my city. While it would be good to see the diamond in person before purchasing, I'd love to hear if anyone has opinions about the potential quality of their product. Their diamonds are certified by IGI, which has some issues?

They're both beautiful stones. You get a bit more diamond for the money with the E.

IGI reports are totally fine and in fact the most common among lab diamonds.

I think a couple forum members have bought from Novita before.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Agree with Kim N - the 2.52 E offers tremendous value compared to the 2.37 F!

ArielleB

Shiny_Rock
Hello again!

I’ve been to see some diamonds at Novita, which has been very fun. They have one I’m interested in, and I wanted your opinion compared to one my jeweller found.

First one:

I have seen this one. I don’t mind its tint, and it scores well on the HCA.

IMG_2727.png

Attachments

• IMG_2736.jpeg
    IMG_2736.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 3

ArielleB

Shiny_Rock
Second one I haven’t seen. It looks great, but doesn’t score as well on HCA (very good, not excellent, for scintillation).

I’d love to get some thoughts from the experts!

IMG_2733.png

Attachments

• IMG_2732.jpeg
    IMG_2732.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2731.jpeg
    IMG_2731.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2735.jpeg
    IMG_2735.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 5

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello again!

I’ve been to see some diamonds at Novita, which has been very fun. They have one I’m interested in, and I wanted your opinion compared to one my jeweller found.

First one:

I have seen this one. I don’t mind its tint, and it scores well on the HCA.

IMG_2727.png

Here's the first one's 360 video.

It looks very nice. There may be slight paddling around the arrow tips—do you see any darkness near the arrow tips in person?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since they have these in-hand, can you get ASET images? The second one looks promising as well.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more from Novita to consider.

ArielleB

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Kim!

I have some shoddy iPhone photos of the H. I love PS, learn something new every day—paddling! IMG_2739.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2741.jpeg
    IMG_2741.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results