shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding a gemstone for my halo setting.

livewithease

Shiny_Rock
After much back and forth I have decided to remove my center diamond from my existing halo setting created by ERD and set it in a three stone ring. I've never been 100% happy with my halo setting and given my lifestyle I want something I can wear daily without concern. My stone is with BGD right now and I'm in the process of selecting two side stones to be set in their truth X3 setting. While I'm not 100% happy with my halo setting I feel like it would be ashame if I didn't find another way of using it. Therefore, I'm thinking about purchasing a gemstone to replace the diamond so I can wear it occasionally as a RHR.

I don't know much about gemstones which is why I need your help.

- My current stone is 6.95 RB in a platinum cushion shaped halo.

- I would only wear this ring occasionally (ie date night, holidays)

- Looking to spend less than $1000

- I tend to like sapphires (deeper blue), peach, light pink tones. I know sapphires tend to be more expensive so I was considering a spinal as an alternative option. Is there anything else I should consider?

- Who are some good vendors to consider?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
6.95mm?

livewithease

Shiny_Rock
Yes, 6.95. I just really want to reuse my setting in some way and a gemstone seems like the logical thing to do. My e-ring will be the BG truth X3 woth my 1.28 center and .50 sides or MAYBE .40. Still trying to decide between a few sets BG selected for me.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
livewithease|1446781890|3946210 said:
Yes, 6.95. I just really want to reuse my setting in some way and a gemstone seems like the logical thing to do. My e-ring will be the BG truth X3 woth my 1.28 center and .50 sides or MAYBE .40. Still trying to decide between a few sets BG selected for me.

Oh OK I assumed but with no unit of measurements I wanted to double check. Could have been cts, I mean this is PS lol.

You're diamond ring sounds lovely, and finding a pink stone in your budget sounds ok, particularly if you're not looking to wear it every day.

livewithease

Shiny_Rock
Ha, I wish I meant something besides mm! I could try selling the setting but I feel like that might be hard to do. My only concern is whether or not a round colored gemstone in a cushion shaped halo will look odd. With the diamond it kinda blends but not sure how a colored stone will look. The ring is definitely not a daily wear. That's actually one of the main reasons I'm resetting my center stone. I hate having a ering that's too delicate to wear all the time.

BG did say they could also use the melee in the shank of my three stone but I prefer a plain shank on a three stone.

Besides a sapphire what other gemstones are worth exploring? Would a spinal be okay?

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
For just an occasional use ring you can use many colored gemstones-spinels, sapphires, tourmalines, garnets, and the list goes on-even morganite which comes in light pinks and peaches. The key will be to find a gem that will work in your setting- or you could have a precision cutter cut one to fit it. Many colored stones are cut deeper than diamonds so sometimes the prongs are not long enough, so make sure you pay attention to depth and colored stones are softer- so when having the gem set make sure you go to a bench that sets lots of colored stones.

As far as it being a cushion shaped halo with a round gem- it should look fine. Aesthetically for me, I'd probably prefer a pastel gem in it (but then I generally prefer pastel gems anyway :rolleyes: )- but I'm sure you can find examples of deep colored round stones with cushion halos, too. May I also ask why you've never been satisfied with your halo? ERD usually makes lovely halos.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cam you post a pic of the color you're after?

Gemfix has some 7mm pink spinel, but I'm not sure they're you're pink

spinel_354_a.jpg

spinel_352_a.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pinkjewel|1446807605|3946252 said:
For just an occasional use ring you can use many colored gemstones-spinels, sapphires, tourmalines, garnets, and the list goes on-even morganite which comes in light pinks and peaches. The key will be to find a gem that will work in your setting- or you could have a precision cutter cut one to fit it. Many colored stones are cut deeper than diamonds so sometimes the prongs are not long enough, so make sure you pay attention to depth and colored stones are softer- so when having the gem set make sure you go to a bench that sets lots of colored stones.

This! Pinkjewel knows what she's talking about.

livewithease

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the great info. My reset from ERD was a Tiffany legacy inspired halo only using my RB halo. Overall from the start communication wasn't the best and the ring started to show wear pretty quickly (lost stones and miligrain wore down). I went back to ERD and they kindly fixed resized it to the size I originally stated as well as replaced with stones and redid the miligrain. They did mention that the miligrain could wear down again within a matter of months. I had the ring appraised and even the appraiser said the setting was okay but definitely not great. I barely wore the ring and I'm super careful with my jewelry (take off immediately when I get home and barely ever wear it during the week). If I was to do it all over again I would absolutely get a round halo vs trying to fit my stone into something it's not and would pay the extra $$ to work with VC. By no means is my ERD setting bad but it's not a daily wear which is why I'm hoping to reuse it in some capacity.

As for gemstones, I'm definitely not a hot pink type of girl and prefer lighter peachy colored stones or deep blue. I got married in September which is why I thought a sapphire might be nice or I even considered citrine since my son was born in November. I will try and find a few colors I like and post pictures.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results