shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding a .9-1 ct loose diamond for under $3500

SophiaDevereaux

Rough_Rock
This is my first post so forgive me if I'm repeating a thread or not posting correctly. :dance:

My SO and I have been ring shopping since November! When we initially started our budget was $8K but after a few unforeseen circumstances we've dropped our budget down to $5-5500. I've fallen in love with a Henri Daussi halo setting ($2200) and would prefer not to change it (I'm extremely indecisive and it literally took me 4 months to find this one :shifty: lol). My SO and I have an appointment in a few weeks at the store where we found the setting, however I'm afraid they won't have anything with the specs we were hoping for....in our price range.

As a backup plan, I would love some help with finding some options online just in case we can't afford anything in-store. We're hoping for a .9-1 ct round or cushion. Excellent cut, eye clean with as much sparkle as we can get, and I am not color sensitive so I don't really mind a lower color like J or K (the diamonds in the setting are I color, but when he showed it to us with a J neither of us could tell a difference in color). All in all, the center stone we need to be less than $3300 to make it work. Is it possible to find a really great diamond in our price range? :nervous:

I appreciate any help you can offer. Recommendations are also welcomed!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so do you want a round or a cushion? And is hitting the carat mark important to you?

Personally with your budget I'd probably recommend a round with I color. As large as possible. You could get over a carat in a cushion with your budget, but I'd still recommend the round in this case, unless we can find you a really knock out cushion. And even then you will have to move faster than it sounds like your timeline is going to be.

I am not going to post more than 2 stones for you. Why? Because you aren't ready to buy and pretty much all the vendors here have 3 day holds. So anything I post for you will be gone by the time you are ready to buy anyway. So anything I post will be an example.

UNLESS, you can buy something NOW and then if you don't want it you can return it later. So if you have the flexibility to do that with a credit card.

But if your in person ring shopping is a 'few weeks out' then there's no point in posting more for you.

Just as an FYI though, ID Jewelry carries Daussi settings. And I am willing to get hard cash they can blow your local jeweler out on the pricing. AND they can find you a killer center stone for it, especially in a round, and set it for you. One stop shopping.

And you can get the ring services locally. We all do that. Any smart and good jeweler will be happy to help you.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8239421-0.90-carat-Round-diamond-I-color-SI1-Clarity.aspx?sku=8239421&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com Perfect round for your budget someone will no doubt snag before you are ready to buy.

Fantastic cushion: https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Cushion/GIA-Certified-1-01-Carat-I-Color-SI1-Clarity-Diamond-2XA8B8 that will also be gone when you are ready to buy.

Don't pay attention to the carat weight. Pay attention to the dimensions.

Come back when you are ready to buy and we'll help you more. Or contact IDJ when you are ready to buy, and let them help you.

:appl: :appl: :appl:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second talking to ID Jewelry since they carry Henry Daussi. They are also excellent at finding stones on a tight budget. Tell them you are a Pricescoper and you want a really well cut stone.

Www.idjewelry.com

SophiaDevereaux

Rough_Rock
All of this is SUPER helpful! Thank you all. I greatly appreciate it. I really was worried it was not possible at all and I'd have to start all over again.

@Gypsy...I honestly prefer a round. I love the shape more than a cushion, but when we picked out the setting the jeweler told us rounds were a tad more expensive. So I figured in order to get what we were looking for I didn't mind being flexible on the shape. Thank you for posting links to a couple stones we could get if things don't work out with the jeweler. I'm happy to know our options are not limited and we're not "stuck" with going with them. I see they're located in NYC!! This is great news....we can pop in there and talk directly to someone. :appl: :appl:

This may be a dumb question but the jeweler was saying Daussi is known for the cut of their stones and they're cut in a way that makes them look larger than what they are. SO loved the idea of that. Would ID Jewelry help us find a Daussi cut in our budget or would we have to go with a non-Daussi cut stone in order to make it work? I'm fine with either, just curious.

And another question...if we decide to go with a cushion, down the road when we look to upgrade the center stone, is it possible to then switch to a round—keeping the same HD setting? I'm not a fan of halos with any spaces around the center diamond, I'd want it be flush all around. With whatever center stone we pick, am I stuck with that shape forever? If not, what are the typical cost implications? Like at that point is it better to just find a new setting to work with a new round center diamond?

Thank you again!

Q

Queenie60

Hi Sophia: I'm guessing you are in NYC? If so, go to ID Jewelry and talk with Yekutiel. He can show you stones within your budget and answer all of your questions thoroughly. He is very patient and will educate you along the way. You will be in good hands with him. I have worked with him on a few projects over the past few months and I intend to use him for my future purchases. I can't say enough kind words about him. Tell him you were recommended by Pricescope. He will take good care of you. Also, you're in good hands with Gypsy too, she knows her stuff!! Good luck and I hope you find what your heart desires. :wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Daussi cushions are shallow and spready. That said they get thay way at the expense of performance. They look glassy to me and I personally have never seen one I've liked. If you like rounds they are the best choice. If you maximize performance then the stone will look big anyway especially in a halo.

Rounds also generally have better upgrade policies. And no you likely woukde not be able to upgrade size or shape of stone with a flush halo. You could stick a colored stone in it and wear it as a RHR, that's about it.

SophiaDevereaux

Rough_Rock
Hi all! :wavey:

Posting a follow-up here. I want to THANK YOU ALL for helping me and insisting my SO and I check out IDJewelry in the diamond district. I was able to pop in to their store earlier than expected and just yesterday we finalized everything! From the moment I walked in, I had a sense we we're finally going to get some closure to the ring search :appl:

Not only did Yekutiel find an excellent cut 1 ct round brilliant, he will be ordering the setting I originally fell in love with!!! We did go *slightly* above our budget (only $150) but I walked away with the biggest smile on my face knowing everything has been taken care of. Yekutiel was SUPER patient with me, showed me a ton of different options and even graciously offered to make an exact replica of the setting I wanted. I could tell he really wanted to make me happy, but in the end my SO and I ended up going with the setting my heart was attached to. I now feel at ease knowing everything is going to turn out perfect. I'm so excited to go back and pick out a few other pieces I have on my wish list for years :angel:!

Once again thank you all, I wish I could give you all a great big hug :) I can't wait to come back and show off the ring once my bf proposes.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's great! I can't wait to see the finished work!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Niel|1461445095|4022867 said:
That's great! I can't wait to see the finished work!

DITTO!!

SophiaDevereaux

Rough_Rock
Andddddd posting a follow up here as well! :whistle:

So happy to share the final outcome of the ring y'all helped me with. To recap, last Oct/Nov I fell in love with a Daussi setting I saw at another jewelry store out-of-state. I came here on a hope and a prayer, and everyone graciously helped by directing us to IDJ! I can't stop singing IDJ and Yekutiel's praises—because not only did he secure the setting I was looking for, he also got the center stone I was hoping for. A 1-ct, eye clean, I-higher, round brilliant!

Thanks again pricescope family for all the help! *Apologies for the shots, turns out the only great place to take pics with enough lighting is my closet and bathroom* :shifty:

image4_1.jpg
image2_17.jpg
image1_30.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay. I am so happy to hear everything worked out perfectly.

The ring looks great on your hand. Of course you have really lovely hands (I'll admit to envy).

Take good care of it. Remember, do not wear it 24 hours a day. Do not wear to bed. Do not shower with it. Do not work out or garden with it. And have it checked locally with a good local jeweler every 6-8 months and have it professionally cleaned. They should check all the diamonds before cleaning it.

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations, Sophia, on a beautiful ring that looks stunning on you. I love a woman who can listen to expert advice, still honor what she came to the forum with, and PULL THE TRIGGER!! So interesting how often newbies to this forum solicit advice, receive advice, reject advice......

Gypsy I'm curious why not wear ER to bed?? Gardening I get....

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP - Your ring is stunning! So glad you are thrilled with it. Congratulations! :appl:

Sagefemme|1471359811|4066588 said:
Congratulations, Sophia, on a beautiful ring that looks stunning on you. I love a woman who can listen to expert advice, still honor what she came to the forum with, and PULL THE TRIGGER!! So interesting how often newbies to this forum solicit advice, receive advice, reject advice......then come back to PS asking how to resolve problems that arose by rejecting said advice.

Gypsy I'm curious why not wear ER to bed?? Gardening I get....

I finished your statement with the part in red. :whistle:

I won't answer for Gypsy, but I do not wear any rings with stones to sleep in. I smack my hands on my headboard more than a few times in my sleep, and can only imagine waking up to a chipped or lost stone as a result. :errrr:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results