shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding a 2ct Oval Yellow Diamond

Gelbstein

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone,
To make a long story short, I've been looking for a 2.0ct+ oval yellow diamond for weeks now. I've looked at dozens and dozens, and I think my eyes might be falling out of my head now. :shock:

While I can usually spot quality in a round diamond, I'm a total newb when it comes to ovals and not quite sure what *specifically* I should be looking for when judging an oval. I know about the bowtie effect, looking for sparkle, brilliance, etc., but ovals are just a totally new beast for me, hence why I am seeking the help of all you great people here :mrgreen2:

Budget: I'd like to stay around $10,000, but I'm not opposed to going up to $12,000 for the right stone.
Color: I'm open to any color yellow as long as it looks good. I know the intense and richer yellows are worth a lot more, but I'm not worried about normal yellows and fancy lights, etc.
Ratio: I'd prefer to stay around 1.45~ for the L/W ratio
Clarity: SI1 or better
Use/setting: This will be in a solitaire engagement ring.

I thank you all for your help and patience! Thanks a bunch!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Gelbstein
Welcome to pricescope!
When looking at yellow ovals some considerations are very different from a round diamond and even different from white oval diamonds.
For example- many yellow ovals are “Oval Modified Brilliant’ as classified by GIA.
Basically the cutter adds a few facets on the bottom of the diamond which cause the light to bounce around more than in a typical colorless oval. When done correctly this design completely eliminates the bow tie effect.
In your budget you’ll likely be looking at lighter yellow stones.
Important- make sure to only trust GIA grading

I hope this helps!

Vogue

Shiny_Rock
I agree with tyty333, look into the DBL oval. You might also ask for more info on https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...w/oval-cut/2.01-carat-si1-clarity-sku-4159972

Within your specifications (price, shape, carat weight), you'll have limited options. Luckily, you're okay with lighter stones, which will give you slightly more of a selection. Good luck, from a fellow lover of yellow diamonds! (I was the opposite, focused more on the intensity of color than the size, which is why my diamond's a wee baby...oh, to be able to afford a 2+ carat... :kiss2:)

Gelbstein

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions.

@Rockdiamond
I think that's one of the issues I'm having with yellow ovals is that the majority I've seen are, as you say, "Oval Modified Brilliant" and look a lot different than a typical white/colorless oval and have different characteristics when it comes the appearance, etc.

I really like the oval from DBL posted above by tyty333. I like the sparkle of it for sure. The symmetry is rated at Good. How important is this criteria in yellow ovals compared to normal/colorless diamonds?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions.

@Rockdiamond
I think that's one of the issues I'm having with yellow ovals is that the majority I've seen are, as you say, "Oval Modified Brilliant" and look a lot different than a typical white/colorless oval and have different characteristics when it comes the appearance, etc.

I really like the oval from DBL posted above by tyty333. I like the sparkle of it for sure. The symmetry is rated at Good. How important is this criteria in yellow ovals compared to normal/colorless diamonds?

I get it- without a doubt, buying ( grading assessing,etc) colorless diamonds is different than fancy colored diamonds.
I've seen both OB and OMB stones in Fancy Color.
The truth is it's a total case by case basis. OMB is more common for good reason IMO- it's easier to obtain the right light performance to accent color and sparkle in an OMB ( in general)

Gelbstein

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply, RockDiamond.
In your opinion, when you're looking at oval fancy color diamonds, what are the things you first look for? Or more importantly, what are some of the things that you look for that disqualify a stone for you? (For me personally, it's inclusions I can see with the naked eye)

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Gelbstein
First, please call me David!

It's a great question, and truly impossible to answer in a complete fashion.
The reason is that so many factors affect each other, so it's a case by case basis. Very few hard fast rules.
Yes, spots you can see are a huge turn off for most buyers- that aspect is relatively simple.
But so many other aspects play amongst each other.
Cut is a super important- and far more difficult to assess in absolute terms.
For example- a large table may be a problem, but not always.
I do look at spread as a very important factor.
Cut is an aspect that interplays with color- making assessment even more ...interesting.
Fluorescence is a biggie. It can be at least.
By the way, cut quality ( make) is different than the actual shape- known as the "model"
Personally, I prefer an oval that won't be mistaken for a cushion. So in general, no straight lines in the profile- more organic- but that aspect is totally personal.

I hope this helps!!

Gelbstein

Rough_Rock
I figured that was the case. Choosing a diamond is more of an art than a science.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I figured that was the case. Choosing a diamond is more of an art than a science.

This is such an interesting aspect of the discussion/debate. I don't think many would disagree that visual cues take precedence when evaluating a Fancy Color diamond. You have to look at it to properly judge it- using strictly visual characteristics which go well beyond what the GIA report tells you.
If we're discussing how much art versus science is involved in assessing a colorless fancy shape, it's a heated debate.

In your initial post, you mentioned looking at many stones- were any of those in person?

Gelbstein

Rough_Rock
Oh hey David! I had no idea you were the David from Diamonds by Lauran. I should actually try reading signatures of posters here and I might figure out who I am talking to! :mrgreen2:

I've been eyeing that 2ct light yellow oval you have on your site for a while now, before I even registered. It's definitely on my radar and thank you for posting the video! I've looked at a few colorless ovals in stores. I have been unable to find an oval yellow, but I've been able to look at the different colors of yellow in different shaped stones (rounds, cushion, & princess). As such, much of my searching has been done online.
I'll shoot you an email later today, if that's alright.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I personally* dont like this color of yellow. It appears to have brown in it that is making the stone look gold instead of yellow. That being said,
you cant really tell color from videos/monitors and this color may appeal to you?

David can not discuss specific stones because he is a vendor. He can only speak in general terms about color stones.

Vogue

Shiny_Rock
I agree again with tyty. There's a reason that one's over $2K cheaper than the one I linked--tinges of brown bring down FCD values. Tastes vary, though. Make sure your intended is okay with (or, preferably, loves) brownish tints in her stone, and it could be a great choice.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results