carat
color
clarity

Help finding a 2.5 carat RB

Klaus

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hello lovely Pricescopers!

I am thrilled to be currently on the market for a new diamond. My partner will be doing the ultimate selection but I'm helping him with information since I have more diamond knowledge. I'm more informed than average (if I do say so myself!) on the four Cs, but I'm a little rusty on the exact cut proportions/ratios/HCA etc. Also I'm aware that understanding in this area is evolving. I would greatly appreciate this forum's assistance identifying some decent prospects, if for nothing else than to help confirm that my current desired traits are realistic within our budget. So, here goes:

Carat: 2.3-2.6. I'd love to try to get an 8.5 mm. Honestly I'd love to go even bigger but I don't think that's in the cards considering my budget and color preference.
Color: D-F. I am extremely color sensitive, but I'd be open to a G that is otherwise outstanding and icy white. :)
Cut: Round only please. And I am very concerned with getting as excellent a cut as possible so that it's beautiful and sparkling, which is why I'm asking you!
Clarity: Obviously I want it to be eye clean, but beyond that I really could not care less what the clarity grading is. However I've never purchased a diamond on the larger size before, so if I should be avoiding certain clarities at this size I'm open to learning.

Budget: 30k for the diamond, max. Obviously less is better. We agreed to go all out on the diamond and do a very simple band, to be updated for an anniversary if we want. I really don't want to upgrade the diamond itself. No shade whatsoever for those that do, it's just that I'll be an older bride and my partner and I both like the idea of hanging onto this diamond.

Thank you so much for your insight!!!!!!!

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
How thrilling! Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials. How exciting!

I'm nowhere near an expert on natural diamonds in this range, but this might be a tall order for the budget (people who actually know can/will chime in more).

I plugged desired specs into WF for 2.3-2.6, max budget of $30k, and ended up with a single option for their ACA: 2.32 ct, G color, SI1 clarity, 8.49x8.52 (hits the size benchmark!)

The next cheapest one closest to what you want with better color I could find was a 2.252 ct, F, VS1, 8.4x8.44 for $39,950.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
If you have no intentions of upgrading the diamond, have you ever considered a lab grown one?

I found this 3.02, E , VS1 ideal hearts and arrows cut on James Allen, 9.29x9.34mm for $22,390 - link has the video and ASET images. HCA sore =1.4

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have no intentions of upgrading the diamond, have you ever considered a lab grown one?

I found this 3.02, E , VS1 ideal hearts and arrows cut on James Allen, 9.29x9.34mm for $22,390 - link has the video and ASET images. HCA sore =1.4

How thrilling! Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials. How exciting!

I'm nowhere near an expert on natural diamonds in this range, but this might be a tall order for the budget (people who actually know can/will chime in more).

I plugged desired specs into WF for 2.3-2.6, max budget of $30k, and ended up with a single option for their ACA: 2.32 ct, G color, SI1 clarity, 8.49x8.52 (hits the size benchmark!)

The next cheapest one closest to what you want with better color I could find was a 2.252 ct, F, VS1, 8.4x8.44 for $39,950.

Both of these are good finds. I think both would be beautiful.

$32K with wire

$30K with wire

I think both of these two on top will be stunning too.

You can test these out yourself, order them, have them shipped to you, and back if you don't like them, all free shipping and insured both back and forth. Worth trying IMO.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are the options the PS diamond search brings up:

It looks like to stay under 30k, within your color range, and over 2.3 carats, you'll be looking at Si1/Si2 clarity.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
In that price range and size you requested, G would be the highest color you could get combined with SI1 (the highest clarity you can get). G will be white but it will not be icy white. D color and 2.3ct-2.6ct is not going to happen in any clarity or vendor with your budget. If high color is a must, you might need to sacrifice the size by a lot to stay within a budget. If you can be happy with G and SI1 clarity, the above options are very nice ones.

Klaus

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for the feedback and suggestions so far! My partner has an aversion to lab grown but you've given me/us a lot to contemplate... I think I'll have to look into the G color some more. I previously had an H and the color did end up bothering me, but I know cut is king!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been trying to find diamonds for other members. I also did searching for you. It is just terrible time now. The price is significantly up (10~15% from the pandemic low , or 5% from pre-pandemic). More importantly, there are not many well cut diamonds available.

My advise is do not rush and take time.

Last edited:

Klaus

Rough_Rock
Premium
I have been trying to find diamonds for other members. I also did not searching for you. It is just terrible time now. The price is significantly up (10~15% from the pandemic low , or 5% from pre-pandemic). More importantly, there are not many well cut diamonds available.

My advise is do not rush and take time.

Good to know, I didn't realize that.

Follow up question for the board:

Do Whiteflash ACAs appear whiter than, for example, a decent stone from James Allen?

Klaus

Rough_Rock
Premium
Do you think I'd be able to find an SI1/SI2 in this size range that is eye clean?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for the feedback and suggestions so far! My partner has an aversion to lab grown but you've given me/us a lot to contemplate... I think I'll have to look into the G color some more. I previously had an H and the color did end up bothering me, but I know cut is king!

What lab was your previous H graded by?

Do you think I'd be able to find an SI1/SI2 in this size range that is eye clean?

This depends on your sensitivity to inclusions but I think eyeclean Si1s are definitely doable in this size range.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good to know, I didn't realize that.

Follow up question for the board:

Do Whiteflash ACAs appear whiter than, for example, a decent stone from James Allen?

IMO ideal cut diamonds certainly do appear brighter, that is, they have more white light return. Some people find that makes the stone overall look whiter. I do not find that. It does however make a difference to sparkle and I'd rather a slightly lower color in the sparkliest stone I can get. But YMMV. If you're not sure on this point, I suggest trying to go visit stores with ideal cut diamonds and seeing as many as you can.

Also imo, the difference between G and H is pretty significant. I can see tint in H much more easily than G personally. It doesn't bother me but I see it.

Klaus

Rough_Rock
Premium
In that price range and size you requested, G would be the highest color you could get combined with SI1 (the highest clarity you can get). G will be white but it will not be icy white. D color and 2.3ct-2.6ct is not going to happen in any clarity or vendor with your budget. If high color is a must, you might need to sacrifice the size by a lot to stay within a budget. If you can be happy with G and SI1 clarity, the above options are very nice ones.

What lab was your previous H graded by?

This depends on your sensitivity to inclusions but I think eyeclean Si1s are definitely doable in this size range.

My previous H was graded by GIA, but the cut was not up to Pricescoper standards (it was nice, just not uber nice).

Klaus

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi all! My partner found this guy on Victor Canera, any thoughts? It got an HCA 0.6, which I know isn't dispositive.

1626816118625.png

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all! My partner found this guy on Victor Canera, any thoughts? It got an HCA 0.6, which I know isn't dispositive.

1626816118625.png

If you want to downgrade in quality (not the greatest cut stone), be over the budget, with very good polish and symmetry, this can be an option. The stone also has a strong blue fluorescence, which can often be a good deal as long as it does not look milky. The stone does not come with any images so it is hard to say how good it is.

In this size, I strongly prefer cut over color but that is just me. If color and clarity is your #1 choice, this is not a bad find.

Klaus

Rough_Rock
Premium
It comes with a picture and video, I just didn't want to post the link. Hard to say if it looks milky. Can I ask, what is wrong with the cut?

valenledge

Shiny_Rock
This isn’t one of Victor’s proprietary cuts right?

The HCA let’s you select the less ideal cuts out but tough to make suggestions without seeing images and video for cut.

A 2.5 E VS1 is nice theoretically!

Klaus

Rough_Rock
Premium

valenledge

Shiny_Rock
That 2.528 G-SI1 is amazing!

If your partner loves Victor for his settings, I would just ask Victor to source the diamond. He can probably show you his ideal cuts where you would have zero concern on performance, and personal preferences will come in on color and clarity for size in budget. Or he can call in a diamond for you and give you his expert opinion.

That clarity plot on the E-VS1 has a lot going on, and I’m especially concerned that the additional notes (“Additional twinning wisps, clouds, pinpoints and surface graining are not shown.”) may impact the diamond in terms of haziness. You (or at least Victor) will want to see this with human eyes to judge performance.

Victor’s cuts and settings are perfection, though!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
If you find a G that fits all your other parameters then maybe bring it in to look at.

Does the round cut have to be brilliant?

There’s lots of people posting online that 2.5 is really hard to find right now. Might have to wait a bit. But it would be worth it.

Klaus

Rough_Rock
Premium
If you find a G that fits all your other parameters then maybe bring it in to look at.

Does the round cut have to be brilliant?

There’s lots of people posting online that 2.5 is really hard to find right now. Might have to wait a bit. But it would be worth it.

I personally do prefer the brilliant cut... that said, I don't believe I've ever seen a non-brilliant round (e.g. OEC) in person, only online. I wish there was somewhere I could go to look at a bunch of diamonds in different colors, sizes, prices in person... nothing like that around where I live, as far as I know. Buying something this expensive and complex online is really stressful, and the only way to eliminate stress is to throw a bunch of extra money on a proprietary cut, which honestly I would prefer not to do. I definitely understand doing so, however!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Sorry about the stress. I don’t remember reading if you have obstacles to returning merchandise… depending on the place you live, ordering from Blue Nile or James Allen is pretty safe because they have quick and easy returns.

Some of the vendors who sell proprietary cuts may have less lenient return policies, like you might have to pay shipping or you only have a certain time to return a diamond even if the vendor is also setting it. But their diamonds almost always sparkle.

So if you go with a vendor that either has a great return policy, or a vendor who has a good reputation and sells proprietary cuts, either way that might help with the stress. And people here like to be helpful, too. Try to enjoy all the time you get to spend looking at pretty pictures of jewelry. :)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry about the stress. I don’t remember reading if you have obstacles to returning merchandise… depending on the place you live, ordering from Blue Nile or James Allen is pretty safe because they have quick and easy returns.

Some of the vendors who sell proprietary cuts may have less lenient return policies, like you might have to pay shipping or you only have a certain time to return a diamond even if the vendor is also setting it. But their diamonds almost always sparkle.

So if you go with a vendor that either has a great return policy, or a vendor who has a good reputation and sells proprietary cuts, either way that might help with the stress. And people here like to be helpful, too. Try to enjoy all the time you get to spend looking at pretty pictures of jewelry. :)

Whiteflash and CBI have easy free and insured shipping on buying and returning within 30 days. Which vendor with proprietary cuts does not allow free shipping on purchase and return? I’m just curious.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results