shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP Find the Right Cut of a Round Brilliant

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Piglet9j7

Shiny_Rock
Hello!

My boyfriend is getting ready to purchase a stone and I am very particular in what I like. I have come to the conclusion that I really love Antique OEC diamonds, but my boyfriend is more interested in buying a modern Round Brilliant, which I am fine with.

I just watched a video by Jonathan on GOG, describing the difference between the cuts of RB''s. Until recently, I did not understand that there were different methods of cutting a RB diamond. I came to the conclusion that I liked the 57 Facet H & A Diamond the best, because it''s chunky facets resemble that of a antique stone, versus the crushed ice of the diamonds with more facets. I am not a fan of super white, icy-like, sparkly stones. They just aren''t me.

I can''t guarantee that my boyfriend will buy from GOG, and if he doesn''t, I was wondering if some of you could offer some guidance in what to tell boyfriend to pass along to the establishment where he will end up buying. What can I say to him that will get him on the right track towards buying a chunky, antique-like Round Brilliant??

Please help!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
piglet,

I''d be happy to try and think up clever ways to try and convince your guy why he should buy a H&A from GOG, but, it just feels wrong. Not because I don''t like thinking up clever ways to convince guys, I''ve been married almost 27 years, I do!
9.gif
2.gif
It''s just that, to be quite honest, it really perplexes me when I read posts like yours, and, sorta sad. I don''t understand why any guy would insist a woman get what he likes. It''s your ring, that you will wear and look at every day, it should, imho, be what makes your heart sing. And that sounds like an OEC, and I can''t blame you, they''re lovely.

So, I guess what I would really suggest doing, is just be honest with him, and tell him what you really want. I know you said you''re "fine" with a regular round, but wouldn''t you rather be "over the moon"?
1.gif

I truly hope you don''t get offended by my post, it''s not meant to offend at all. It''s just to try and get you what you want!

JoeNewbie11

Shiny_Rock
Tell him online retailers are cheaper than B&M and that he won''t have to pay sales tax.

Tell him that you found several diamonds on GOG and you would LOVE for him to choose one of them.

This should do the trick.

Piglet9j7

Shiny_Rock
Just to be clear - I''m not asking for advice on how to manipulate my boyfriend into buying a H&A from GOG. He will buy from where ever he feels most comfortable.

I watched the video of Jonathan explaining the different cuts of RB''s on the GOG website. I came to the conclusion that I liked the Signature GOG H&A the best because it seemed to resemble an antique cut diamond with it''s chunky facets.

I''m asking for some guidance in describing exactly what I am looking for. If any of you happen to know a cutter or diamond supplier that has a great selection, or specializes in the type of cut I am describing, I would be interested in knowing. Most of you have more experience with diamonds than I do and I''m just looking for a little help in finding what I want.

Thanks.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry I misunderstood! Not sure what to tell you.

Piglet9j7

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone else have any advice to offer to help me find the right RB?

Thanks for your help!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
The only thing I''d worry about is that, and I think many people would agree, that H&A diamonds really have a different appearance than that of antique cuts. They''re not crushed ice like the ones with more facets, but they''re not really "chunky" facets either. I''d hate for you to get one and then in real life be disappointed in how it looks, because they don''t really look antiquey.

That said, if you like them and they make you happy, great! There are plenty of reputable vendors that sell them. Good Old Gold obviously, Whiteflash has ACA''s, Infinity is a brand of H&A too. I know there are more as well, but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Maybe getting one in a warmer color would help give it that antique glow
1.gif

Piglet9j7

Shiny_Rock
It''s not the Hearts and Arrows diamond that I was taken by, it was the comparison between the H&A and the Solasfera, Eighternity and the Star129. I liked the GOG H&A the best. Maybe it was because it only has the 57 facets and the others had many more??

I don''t need to have a H&A diamond - I just want to know what to look for or tell a jeweler if I am looking for an antiquey, chunky diamond.

Opinions?

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I would think it would depend on finding the RIGHT jeweler for the job. I know for sure if I walked into most of my local jewelers'' stores and started describing the facet patterns I wanted, SADLY, they''d look at me as if I were crazy. I think you''re on the right track by looking into GOG because they really "get it". They obviously take the time to differentiate between all the different cuts. Have you contacted them with what you want? It might just be the best thing to shoot Jonathan an email describing the kind of thing you want. If they don''t have it in stock, thwy could probably get it for you, and I hear he''s absolutely awesome to work with. Maybe talking to him would also help your BF see your perspective on things, as the WEARER of the ring should really love what she sees!
2.gif

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/23/2009 5:13:59 PM
Author:Piglet9j7
Hello!

My boyfriend is getting ready to purchase a stone and I am very particular in what I like. I have come to the conclusion that I really love Antique OEC diamonds, but my boyfriend is more interested in buying a modern Round Brilliant, which I am fine with.

I just watched a video by Jonathan on GOG, describing the difference between the cuts of RB's. Until recently, I did not understand that there were different methods of cutting a RB diamond. I came to the conclusion that I liked the 57 Facet H & A Diamond the best, because it's chunky facets resemble that of a antique stone, versus the crushed ice of the diamonds with more facets. I am not a fan of super white, icy-like, sparkly stones. They just aren't me.

I can't guarantee that my boyfriend will buy from GOG, and if he doesn't, I was wondering if some of you could offer some guidance in what to tell boyfriend to pass along to the establishment where he will end up buying. What can I say to him that will get him on the right track towards buying a chunky, antique-like Round Brilliant??

Please help!
Okay, I'm a rabble rouser...... I'll bite......... tell your boyfriend that someone on Pricescope told you that they bought a 1.08 carat antique stone for $2,000! No, it's not perfect (it's a little wonky) but it's the prettiest colour and has the MOST amazing fire (like only antique stones do).

Let's see if he's STILL stuck on a modern RB when he hears that....... unless price isn't an issue for you two - then it won't matter to him I guess (BTW - I think Ellen was trying to help you as you asked for and I, like her, am a bit perplexed by your post. I mean, if you really LOVE antique stones and you can find an antique stone in your budget, what's the problem exactly? Does he think of antique stones as being "used" maybe? Some people have an issue with that......)

- Jodie -

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Of all the old cuts, the OEC comes pretty close to the modern RBs. Perhaps that''s why Piglet9j7 is fine with modern RBs and seems to like GOG''s the best. I''m not sure why your BF would have anything agst getting it from GOG unless he is dead set agst buying online. Most guys would welcome the wealth of data and images provided by GOG...

Personally I think GOG''s recent chunky cushions look more antique.

Alternatively, try estate jewelry, find the OEC and have it reset if necessary.

Fox2009

Rough_Rock
I think it is really hard to find modern brilliant cuts that are "antique" like. But, what I personally would do is shop it out together! If he could see (not sure if he has seen...) examples of all the different cuts in person, that may help sway him, especially if it is what YOU want and he can see how much you like it. But, I know what it''s like to not have good resources like that locally. Otherwise, you should go to a good jeweler who will give you a little diamond/cut tutorial and parade out a bunch of options. You''re guaranteed to find something you love that way!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2009 10:41:17 PM
Author: Piglet9j7
It''s not the Hearts and Arrows diamond that I was taken by, it was the comparison between the H&A and the Solasfera, Eighternity and the Star129. I liked the GOG H&A the best. Maybe it was because it only has the 57 facets and the others had many more??

I don''t need to have a H&A diamond - I just want to know what to look for or tell a jeweler if I am looking for an antiquey, chunky diamond.

Opinions?
ask if your jeweler deal in OEC.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results