shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Evaluating An Asscher

whistlesfarandwee

Rough_Rock
Good evening,

I'm considering a 2.05 ct / H / VS1 / Depth: 59.6% / Table: 60.5% / Crown Height: 13%/ Girdle: Medium / Polish: Excellent / Symmetry: Excellent / Cut: Excellent / Fluorescence: None / Measurements: 7.40x 7.35x 4.38 MM (Foundry Certificate)

Here is a link to the professional video. Also here is a link to my phone camera video which was unfortunately recorded in my shadow.

Below is a picture from my camera phone:
IMG_20200810_153752.jpg

Do you think the depth of the MMD is too shallow and causing too much light leakage? Unfortunately, no ASET image is available. Thank you in advance for all your inputs!

Last edited:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no idea how to judge the #s, but it sure looks nice in the pic and video. Tagging @whitewave and @Starfacet Jewelry as they might have more insight.

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
Yes, it is shallow for an asscher. I can't really tell anything from the vendor video as it is out of focus. Note that well cut asschers are VERY difficult to find.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jumping in, here.
“Too shallow” and “Too deep” are subjective with fancies.
So, with that said, let’s do some comparison, and really discuss this, step by step (pun intended). :lol-2:

Please observe the below comparison (virtual) chart:

This compares your Asscher in consideration next to an “average” size 2.05ct Asscher cut to “recommended” standards. Again, fancies are highly variable, and there are no “ideal” stats.

Note that according to this info, the “recommended” depth of an Asscher is 60%-69%. Your stone’s depth falls at 59.6%. Really?? “Too shallow”? Not if the rest of the angles and percentages COMPLIMENT that pavilion depth %.
See Below:

B1ABCD95-6836-442B-B9A0-76F3E39799A3.png 75687B16-650C-4A19-B901-498F5DE9A5DA.png
If you observe the first linked comparison, that “shallow” depth gives you better spread across the stone. Look at your dimensions in mm spread v. the “recommended” dimensions. Your stone has a larger face-up spread.

Allow me to share some great reading authored by our very own @Karl_K. This article explains step cut angles and percentages and demonstrates why paper stats are more of a guide for step cuts and fancies, rather than gospel.

ALL OF THIS BEING SHARED,
this is my opinion.
The photo of the rock on your hand looks outstanding.
The video of the stone shows it is bright across the stone, and I do not see leakage, but the background is white, not dark or a different color, so that may play a role.
The CUT demonstrates you are getting a top heavy stone, with awesome spread, compared to its generic counterpart.
The price is awesome for a rock of this size (lab created is a great option).
This stone would make my list of contenders.

YOU have the advantage of IRL observation.
How does it perform to your eyes?

**Side note:
If it makes you feel better, my EC’s depth percentage puts it in the “Too Deep” category, and it is one of the most beautiful, and brightest EC’s I’ve ever seen. Apparently, the cutter knew what he/she was doing in reference to pavilion angles/crown angles to maximize performance, in spite of the depth. My sweet EC also faces up large for its size, compared to other EC’s of the same Carat weight.**

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d like to see a video of it before I comment. My asscher is it the late 60s deep, so it has a beautiful wishing well hall of mirrors look to it that is very fascinating and draws me in mesmerizing.

Does this asscher have that look and do you want that?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
A well cut asscher is possible down to the low 50% depth.
A master step cut cutter using precision cutting techniques could go even shallower.

The "professional" video is horrendously taken.
It does show a nice crown height.
How did it look to you?
Did it make your heart sing?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results