shape
carat
color
clarity

Help evaluating a diamond.

cvu

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I have been using the resources here in my search for a diamond in order to propose to my girlfriend of 8 years. I have received images of two of my short-listed diamonds and I wanted some help evaluating them.

Diamond 1 - I feel like the ASET shows some additional leakage versus the ideal, but I wanted additional opinions on how this may affect the diamond or if I should be at all concerned. This is a 2+ carat diamond. I feel like the price is good.

GIA Ex/Ex/Ex
Table 58%
Depth 60.1%
Crown Angle 33.0
Pavilion Angle 40.8

Yields a HCA = 0.8, AGA = 1B

Images below.

cvu-41-image1.jpg
cvu-41-image2.jpg
cvu-41-image3.jpg

Diamond 2 - This is a 2+ carat diamond. Smaller than the first. Higher color. More expensive than Diamond 1, but I feel the price is fair to good.

GIA Ex/Ex/Ex
Table 56%
Depth 62.1%
Crown Angle 35.0
Pavilion Angle 40.8

Yields a HCA = 1.6, AGA = 1A

Images below.

8048614_real_image.jpg
8048614_ideal-scope_image.jpg 8048614_aset_image.jpg 8048614_hearts_image.jpg 8048614_arrows_image.jpg

Thank you for your help.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The second one is beautiful and better cut than the first. I'd definitely choose that one. Very easy to do price comps if you tell us the weight, color, and clarity,

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both diamonds are not photographed perfectly, especially the 1st one. I just cannot believe some vendors provide such poorly taken photos for a potential big transaction. the 2nd stone has the better numbers, but the 1st is not bad. I really wish it was photographed properly.

cvu

Rough_Rock
The first diamond is 2.41ct, K color, VVS2 with Strong Fluor. The second diamond is 2.20ct, J color, VS1 with No Fluor. The second is $1k more expensive.

It will be set in a yellow gold solitaire setting. I am leaning towards the second diamond but am conflicted as I know my future wife greatly values carat size for her size 8 ring finger. Thank you all for your feedback.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first diamond is 2.41ct, K color, VVS2 with Strong Fluor. The second diamond is 2.20ct, J color, VS1 with No Fluor. The second is $1k more expensive.

Although J is a safer choice in general, it is possible that K color can appear whiter than J color due to strong fluor in this case. Can't be sure until you actually see the stone in person. Is your fiance ok with J or K color??

cvu|1459292889|4012819 said:
It will be set in a yellow gold solitaire setting. I am leaning towards the second diamond but am conflicted as I know my future wife greatly values carat size for her size 8 ring finger. Thank you all for your feedback.

I recommend to have your future wife involved in this process. Such an important and expensive decision.
We have seen so many unfortunate stories.

cvu

Rough_Rock
She has been involved heavily in the process, though selection of the final diamond is at my discretion. She trusts me to do my homework, which is why I am here (and I am likely more picky than she is).

She has "signed off" on both J and K color options and I know would value the size. I believe if both of these diamonds were equal cut performers, she would prefer Diamond 1. I think that based on dimensions, Diamond 2 is the "better cut" but the question then becomes whether that is perceptible or if they are both top quality stones (excluding "super ideal"). Do you believe that the poor photography is hiding anything?

Unfortunately, it is not possible for me to see both stones in person barring buy, return, buy again (at which point, the second stone may or may not be available). I will be evaluating in person after purchase obviously and having checked by a local gemologist as well as the jeweler setting the stone.

Thank you again for your help.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The IS of 1st stone does not show detrimental light leakage considering how BADLY it is TILTED, which is a bit surprising. I normally expect more significant light leakage on one side under the table ( in this case, 5, 6, 7 oclock positions).
But my brain tells me to go with the J.

cvu

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your additional comments. Being a very analytical person, I am with you that based on pure numbers, the 2nd stone should be superior. Do you think that the tilt could hide anything or only that it may be taken positively based on your observation. I know that images taken in spotlighting are often not very useful, but I do have these two additional images of the K, Strong Fluor Diamond 1 if they add any perspective to the conversation.

Thanks again.

10-507-5.jpg
10-507-4.jpg

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
I'm not an expert, but are they able to retake the images so it's not tilted for stone 1?

Have you also looked at stock number 6430141 @ B2CJewels?
It might be another option to consider
2.36 K VS2
8.53x8.55x5.24

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stick with the J stone. Better cut, better color. I wouldn't go below J for an e-ring.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1459307845|4012956 said:
Stick with the J stone. Better cut, better color. I wouldn't go below J for an e-ring.

+1

If it were a sub 1.0ct stone and for myself, I would not mind having some fun with K color and strong fluo and THAT SPREAD(!).
Blue under strong direct sunlight, white face-up, and yellow tint from the side. :love:

But at the end, I would go with the J with "orthodox" ideal proportions for E-ring and for such major purchase..

Like DS said, the K gets two stikes on cut and color.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results