shape
carat
color
clarity

help evaluate 2 Tiffany stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NovaRingSearch

Rough_Rock
I''m looking at a couple Tiffany classic round brilliant rings. Each stone is a 1.0 carrot, H color, VS1. Tiffany rates their cut, polish, and symetry as "Excellent".

Here''s the cut details from their GIA certifications:

Stone 1:
Depth: 62.4%
Table: 55%
Crown Angle: 34.7
Pavillian Angle: 40.9
Cullet: none
Girdle: med to thick

Ring 2:
Depth: 62.7%
Table: 55%
Crown Angle: 34.6
Pavillian Angle: 41
Cullet: none
Girdle: med

How do these stones stack up against the typical Tiffany cut? (I ran them both through the Holloway cut Advisor. Ring 1 gets a 1.8, ring 2 gets a 2.0)

What are other people''s opinions?

Please -- no posts on how Tiffany''s is overpriced, that I can get a better deal elsewhere. Yep, got it no need to rehash that arguement.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
No idea how they stack but #1 is thick in the girdle, so hiding some weight there.

#2 has a big depth, weird. For #2 I will need to see an IS image to see if leakage is present.

So both will look slightly smaller than ideal cut. If force to choose without IS image, will prefer #1.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The slightly steeper pavilion angle is where the added depth arises in #2, I believe. They will look like a matched pair to most people and to someone trying to choose one, it will come down to personal preference. You are buying the brand name as much as buying just a diamond.
In the end, it can''t matter which one you select.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 3:16:10 PM
Author: oldminer
The slightly steeper pavilion angle is where the added depth arises in #2, I believe. They will look like a matched pair to most people and to someone trying to choose one, it will come down to personal preference. You are buying the brand name as much as buying just a diamond.
In the end, it can''t matter which one you select.
Ditto Oldminer.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 2:36:19 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
No idea how they stack but #1 is thick in the girdle, so hiding some weight there.

#2 has a big depth, weird. For #2 I will need to see an IS image to see if leakage is present.

So both will look slightly smaller than ideal cut. If force to choose without IS image, will prefer #1.
These are from Tiffany so Idealscope images will not be an option.

NovaRingSearch

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 3:18:04 PM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 4/22/2009 2:36:19 PM
Author: Stone-cold11

These are from Tiffany so Idealscope images will not be an option.
I have an Idealscope, I was intending to use it at Tiffany''s on Thurs to check both stones for light return. Do you mean they won''t let me use it there??

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need to give us the diameter measurements. But I''d choose #1 more than likely.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tiffany''s will let you use your idealscope there, although the sales associate may not even know what it is
3.gif

from what you posted I''d say #1 too, although IMO tiffany doesn''t sell any dog stones so I''d trust my eyes as much as the paper.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results