shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Emerald cut

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Hello all,
I’ve been MIA as life has been extremely busy although I peek once in a great while.

Hope everyone is well.

The older of my 2 daughters is likely getting engaged soon. She has her heart set on an emerald cut between 2.5 to 3
carats. Her bf is still in grad school so it may be another year before they get engaged.

She works in climate sustainability and is very conscientious about her life choices. Although she loves certain luxuries, she is now leaning towards a lab diamond. I don’t mean to be a snob about lab diamonds but I personally prefer mined ones and we’ve discussed this back and forth with pros and cons but mostly cons on my part. Sorry lab diamond owners.

I suggested looking into antique cuts or colored gems instead for her engagement ring. I gather that there isn’t truly an antique emerald cut? She doesn’t like the look of asscher cuts.

Can you please share your thoughts about all of the above?

Thanks so much!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thoughts about all the above...if your future Son-in-law is in grad school will he have the ability to buy her a 2.5 to 3 carat
diamond?

This sounds kind of harsh and I mean it with all due respect...
How old is your daughter? I think if you've had your say you need to stay out of it unless she brings it up and wants your opinion.
Its not your ring, not your money, and not your relationship.

Ouch, I know! I'm a mom and know how hard it can be to stay out of my kid's business. However, I feel like you spoke
your peace and now its up to them to make their decision.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are antique emerald cuts if she's interested in that direction.

Lab vs natural is a completely personal choice, so no one is going to be able to say much in the way of convincing someone one way or the other.

I personally have no preference one way or the other as long as the price is fair (with the exception of my obsession with very strong blue fluor stones, which obviously only exist in natural stones).

Thw most important thing Is that the person wearing the ring is happy with it :)

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I’m sure you’ve done an excellent job raising her to be sensible and capable of making her own decisions.

Choosing a lab-grown diamond is a practical choice for a young couple. As they progress in their careers and life becomes more stable, they can always opt for a mined diamond if they wish.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Thoughts about all the above...if your future Son-in-law is in grad school will he have the ability to buy her a 2.5 to 3 carat
diamond?

This sounds kind of harsh and I mean it with all due respect...
How old is your daughter? I think if you've had your say you need to stay out of it unless she brings it up and wants your opinion.
Its not your ring, not your money, and not your relationship.

Ouch, I know! I'm a mom and know how hard it can be to stay out of my kid's business. However, I feel like you spoke
your peace and now its up to them to make their decision.

Thanks, @tyty333. She asked for my opinion and continues to ask for guidance :). She is 25. Her BF works full time and is in grad school at the same time. She actually told her BF not to buy anything without consulting with me haha.

I know that in the end, it’s her decision. :).

Thanks for your honesty.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock

Lab vs natural is a completely personal choice, so no one is going to be able to say much in the way of convincing someone one way or the other.

I personally have no preference one way or the other as long as the price is fair (with the exception of my obsession with very strong blue fluor stones, which obviously only exist in natural stones).

Thw most important thing Is that the person wearing the ring is happy with it :)

Thank you, @lovedogs. Very true, in the end, she’s wearing it and needs to be happy with it. After watching a documentary on diamonds, she’s more convinced that she’d rather go the lab route. Another factor is the price, of course, for the size she wants. She is just starting out in the workforce after grad school and her BF, although working full time is also still in grad school. They are both very practical and have a good grasp of their finances and know what they can and cannot afford.

I just personally prefer mined diamonds from ethical sources. So just trying to give her options besides going the lab route but again, in the end, it’s her decision.

Thanks so much.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock

And oh, forgot to ask who would be the best vendor for antique emeralds? @lovedogs

Thanks again.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
I’m sure you’ve done an excellent job raising her to be sensible and capable of making her own decisions.

Choosing a lab-grown diamond is a practical choice for a young couple. As they progress in their careers and life becomes more stable, they can always opt for a mined diamond if they wish.

Thank you, @MMtwo.

She is a wonderful and caring human being.

You are absolutely right. They are both practical and if that’s what she really wants in the end, then I will support that. They love to travel too and they travel quite a bit so that will leave them more funds for travel vs tying up savings on a mined diamond in the size she wants.

Thanks so much.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
For natural stones I would check jewels by grace. For lab, Alex park

Love jewelsbygrace but her prices are pretty steep. Thanks, @lovedogs. Will ask Alex if she decidedly goes the lab route.

Thank you.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, @MMtwo.

She is a wonderful and caring human being.

You are absolutely right. They are both practical and if that’s what she really wants in the end, then I will support that. They love to travel too and they travel quite a bit so that will leave them more funds for travel vs tying up savings on a mined diamond in the size she wants.

Thanks so much.

I have a 30 something daughter that is now thinking of marriage and we've had the same discussions. We're went through an old cut target ring idea, and now we're talking Asscher. She is also kicking around a lab diamond as an option. If at some point she looks down and decides to buy a mined diamond, she and her S/O can afford it.

I just want her to be happy.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
I too prefer mined diamonds. I only own mined, for myself. On the other hand ;-), 3 of our daughters and their now husbands chose lab diamonds. I did get to help all the men with the final pick, so I’m happy they all have ideal cuts!

ETA: They will eventually have earth mined diamonds….when I pass mine on to them! I hope they treasure them as much as I do.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
I too prefer mined diamonds. I only own mined, for myself. On the other hand ;-), 3 of our daughters and their now husbands chose lab diamonds. I did get to help all the men with the final pick, so I’m happy they all have ideal cuts!

ETA: They will eventually have earth mined diamonds….when I pass mine on to them! I hope they treasure them as much as I do.

That’s intert, @MamaBear.

I agree with your last paragraph! :).

Blingismything

Rough_Rock
I have a preference for mined diamonds, I have two early-mid twenties daughters, a few of their friends have got engaged/married and without exception, have chosen Lab diamond engagement rings. This is in the UK, all in professional jobs. They see it as the norm as far as I can tell.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Here's one case your DD decides to go mined. This is not as large as she wants but the price seems nice.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
I have a preference for mined diamonds, I have two early-mid twenties daughters, a few of their friends have got engaged/married and without exception, have chosen Lab diamond engagement rings. This is in the UK, all in professional jobs. They see it as the norm as far as I can tell.

Interesting, @Blingismything. I wonder if it’s a trend with a lot of younger people now everywhere?

Thank you.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Here's one case your DD decides to go mined. This is not as large as she wants but the price seems nice.

Wow. Looks nice @lulu_ma. How are you? Did you ever reset your huge beautiful OEC?
I don’t think she’d want a modern stone especially after watching the documentary she watched that she wants me to watch too. If she changes her mind about a lab stone, it will likely be with an antique emerald if she can find one that’s reasonably priced.

Thank you.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Wow. Looks nice @lulu_ma. How are you? Did you ever reset your huge beautiful OEC?
I don’t think she’d want a modern stone especially after watching the documentary she watched that she wants me to watch too. If she changes her mind about a lab stone, it will likely be with an antique emerald if she can find one that’s reasonably priced.

Thank you.

:wavey: Hi! Hope you are well-exciting times for your daughter! No progress on the reset yet-I just keep buying bands...

Meanwhile, I'll post any interesting antique ecs on this thread! How warm can she go?

Last edited:

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
:wavey: Hi! Hope you are well-exciting times for your daughter! No progress on the reset yet-I just keep buying bands...

Meanwhile, I'll post any interesting antique ecs on this thread! How warm can she go?

Thanks, @lulu_ma. Your ring is absolutely stunning!

I think she prefers as white as possible. I think she needs to see antique stones in person. Maybe one of these days, when we are in NY again we can check out some old stones.

Thanks!!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
:)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results