shape
carat
color
clarity

Help: Emerald cut evaluation - 3.2c E IF w/ medium blue fluorescence ($37k)

EmpireState

Rough_Rock
Hi PS! First time diamond buyer here! I'm in the market for a ≈3.0c Emerald cut in order to recreate this engagement ring.

The goal :kiss2:
1713294638702.png

The diamond in question:
I came across this diamond on James Allen and am considering stretching my original $35k all-in budget for this stone because I love its clarity and colorlessness. However, I've read lot of conflicting information about higher fluorescence in colorless stones, which I'm told (by r/diamonds) are significantly less desirable, especially among tradespeople, and may cause cloudiness. So, I wanted to ask the experts here if this is valid or overblown.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/3.21-carat-e-color-if-clarity-sku-20714784
1713295535168.png
Stats:
Carat: 3.21
Color: E
Clarity: IF
Table: 65.0
Depth: 68.0
Girdle: Slightly Thick to Thick
L/W/D: 9.7x6.93x4.71
L/W Ratio: 1.40

Questions:
  1. Will medium blue fluorescence significantly impact the real world / naked eye appearance?
  2. How is the windowing? I notice a bit of light leakage but am unsure how to gauge its significance.
  3. Should I pass and keep looking, down sizing to reduce fluorescence and/or improve the cut?
  4. If no, is $37.3k a fair price in today's market?
  5. If yes, could anyone recommend a similar or smaller, better-performing stone within a $30-35k budget?

From reading threads here on PS, I understand that emerald cuts really need to be evaluated in person to judge their appearance accurately. I plan to do that with whatever I buy, but I just want to double-check with you all that I'm not wasting my time (and tying up a lot of money) by even considering this stone.

Thank you!!!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven't looked at rhe video of the stone, but anyone telling you that medium fluor is going to have a negative impact is wrong. Especially in a high clarity stone.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone you chose is pretty nice. I understand liking that it's colorless. However, such high clarity means you'll pay more for something invisible to the naked eye.

Whats your color preference?

EmpireState

Rough_Rock
Thanks, appreciate the feedback! My color preference is D-F, maybe G.

I totally hear you on clarity. I didn't have intention to get IF – I'm OK with anything VVS2+. But this one seems to be better priced than comparable VVS1-VVS2 stones.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems a little quiet under the table to me. Could just be the focus of the camera or could be the stone. Let's see what our
step-cut expert has to say. @Karl_K

Can you ask for an aset image? They may or may not be able to provide you with one. If they have one for it, please post.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
medium blue fluorescence is not an issue
Cut: the video is a bit inconclusive but is pointing towards cut issues.
Price, use the PS search to find and compare comps.

EmpireState

Rough_Rock
@tyty333 I agree – it's hard, especially for me an untrained eye, to tell what's caused by camera focus and what's actually the cut.

JA doesn't have an aset, but I've just requested one and they're on it (ETA up to 1 wk). Will post once I get it!

Last edited:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
We’ve been seeing a lot of misinformation coming from Reddit these days!

EmpireState

Rough_Rock
Received aset! @Karl_K @tyty333

In full transparency, I’d never even heard of an aset a few short weeks ago. But to my untrained eyes, it looks very good to me, albeit not excellent, when I compared it to references and other EC posting on PS.

The biggest issue I see is some light leakage under the table, but not sure how significant it is and how much it’d impact real world appearance though.

The East West symmetry looks good, but not so good North (red) South (green). Same as above, not sure how to significant it is.

I’m very new to asets, so any insights you could share would be much appreciated!

IMG_5728.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results