shape
carat
color
clarity

Help educate me about sapphires!

alittlelight

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi, all. Just starting to think about purchasing a sapphire for a right hand ring. If anyone has the time or the inclination, can you take a peek at finewater gems and the 13 or so blue sapphires on sale right now? I am curious which one or two you would say are the best buys and why. Thank you! I doubt I will be buying any right now — just trying to get a sense of what I am looking at.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for starting this topic alittlelight. I am also curious about sapphires!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot of this depends on what color , size, shape you want, and your budget. Also, are you ok with heat treated stones? If yes, that will help the budget. I am personally ok with heat treatment, but not everyone agrees.

These stones can get crazy expensive, so budget is critical to know.

If you are able to spend up to 3k, I like this one. I always look at the hand pics rather than the studio/light box ones.

Or this one from gemfix

If money is less of an issue, then this is lovely:

If budget is a total non issue, I would contact Inken.

She has lovely amazing sapphires.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You have to remember too, that a lot of these are small, about 6mm. So before you begin searching, decide what your minimum size is, then go from there. It will help focus your time, otherwise you'll be spending a lot of time looking at beautiful stones that will probably disappoint you when they arrive.

alittlelight

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much! This is very helpful. Other than heat and size, are there key words in the descriptions or specific things to look out for?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have to remember too, that a lot of these are small, about 6mm. So before you begin searching, decide what your minimum size is, then go from there. It will help focus your time, otherwise you'll be spending a lot of time looking at beautiful stones that will probably disappoint you when they arrive.

very true!
But sometimes size is the parameter that is compromised. Just surround it with sizeable gorgeous diamonds!
;)) ;))
wink wink nod nod - like mine but I’m biased!
:lol:

as for which is the best value- I think too many personal opinions of ‘taste’ to answer.
some may need a calibrated size because they don’t want a custom setting.
people vary on sparkle vs glow/silk
Some like color modifiers - some dont
Some have higher tolerances for dark areas in elongated shapes and color shifting in different environments.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much! This is very helpful. Other than heat and size, are there key words in the descriptions or specific things to look out for?

Check it holds its colour in various lighting conditions and check for horrible cut (windowing, extinction, bowtie etc).

By far one of the biggest collections of sapphires is roger derry's site. But I would stop looking online if possible.

Without more detailed parameters you wont get closer to identifying the stone you want to buy. If you do find it and it sells while you are waiting to assemble the funds then that can be disappointing (and start a fresh round of searching and fresh disapointment. Honestly its a mistake).

Once you come to buy a stone you'll wish you'd seen more in real life (like when it arrives you'll suddenly realize none of that looking online, helps you evaluate stones in real life).

So go out to the jewellers and look in real life at lots of stones. Probably give the online looking a break till you get close enough to be able to purchase.

SparkleC

Shiny_Rock
This past fall, I began my sapphire journey. I knew nothing about the expect that they were blue and the September birthstone! Here's what I learned from my experience.:

1. Color: there are "industry standards" and there are many many variations. Go with what YOU love not what's popular or "hot" right now. PRO TIP: the stone will typically look darker when you set it. Do keep that in mind when you chose your gem.
  2. See the stone in person. You MUST look at the stone in person because photos and videos don't fully capture the nuances of each gem. Why? Because.....
  3. Lighting: before I began my journey I had NO IDEA how much lighting affects the color of a sapphire. It may look stunning in natural light and go dark indoors. Most stones look great in jewelry store lighting! LOL!!
  4. Cut: I thought I HAD to have a round cut. Maybe you're absolutely committed to a cut. But if not, you will find a lot more options. I discovered that rounds in my price and size were very hard to find. Which brings me to....
  5. Budget: Figure out what you're able/willing to spend and be upfront with the vendor. There are many lovely stones out there and the person you're working with wants to please you. So don't have them searching for something you can't afford. And that segues us into....
  6. Vendors: you've identified finewater and others have chimed in with their recommendations. Just make sure you're working with a reputable person. The list of vendors in this forum is very helpful. In my experience there are not enough superlatives to describe Inken from Enhoerning Jewelry. She is incredibly knowledgeable, patience, kind, and willing to work with you as long as you want to find your perfect gem.
I'm sure I'm forgetting something but feel free to ask any questions. I'm hardly an expert and bow to the true Gem Queens on the forum. But I thought my experience as a novice may be of help to you in your own process. You can find my threads as well for more information about my experience.

And just because I am still SO IN LOVE with my ring and I wear her every day, I'll show you her most recent glamour shot.

IMG_4676.jpg

And one not so glamorous! :lol: :lol: :lol:

IMG_4477.jpg

I truly wish you all the best in your sapphire journey and I hope you are as thrilled with your ring as I am with mine!!

WindyCityCoco

Rough_Rock
This past fall, I began my sapphire journey. I knew nothing about the expect that they were blue and the September birthstone! Here's what I learned from my experience.:

1. Color: there are "industry standards" and there are many many variations. Go with what YOU love not what's popular or "hot" right now. PRO TIP: the stone will typically look darker when you set it. Do keep that in mind when you chose your gem.
  2. See the stone in person. You MUST look at the stone in person because photos and videos don't fully capture the nuances of each gem. Why? Because.....
  3. Lighting: before I began my journey I had NO IDEA how much lighting affects the color of a sapphire. It may look stunning in natural light and go dark indoors. Most stones look great in jewelry store lighting! LOL!!
  4. Cut: I thought I HAD to have a round cut. Maybe you're absolutely committed to a cut. But if not, you will find a lot more options. I discovered that rounds in my price and size were very hard to find. Which brings me to....
  5. Budget: Figure out what you're able/willing to spend and be upfront with the vendor. There are many lovely stones out there and the person you're working with wants to please you. So don't have them searching for something you can't afford. And that segues us into....
  6. Vendors: you've identified finewater and others have chimed in with their recommendations. Just make sure you're working with a reputable person. The list of vendors in this forum is very helpful. In my experience there are not enough superlatives to describe Inken from Enhoerning Jewelry. She is incredibly knowledgeable, patience, kind, and willing to work with you as long as you want to find your perfect gem.
I'm sure I'm forgetting something but feel free to ask any questions. I'm hardly an expert and bow to the true Gem Queens on the forum. But I thought my experience as a novice may be of help to you in your own process. You can find my threads as well for more information about my experience.

And just because I am still SO IN LOVE with my ring and I wear her every day, I'll show you her most recent glamour shot.

IMG_4676.jpg

And one not so glamorous! :lol: :lol: :lol:

IMG_4477.jpg

I truly wish you all the best in your sapphire journey and I hope you are as thrilled with your ring as I am with mine!!
Ok totally off topic- but your peke is soo cute! here is mine :) murph beach.JPG

SparkleC

Shiny_Rock
@WindyCityCoco OMG that smile! Toby's a rescue. I got him when he was supposed to be 14 and I've had him 3 years now. I'm trying to make up for all the years of neglect and abuse he suffered. He's been a joy every day I've had him.

WindyCityCoco

Rough_Rock
@WindyCityCoco OMG that smile! Toby's a rescue. I got him when he was supposed to be 14 and I've had him 3 years now. I'm trying to make up for all the years of neglect and abuse he suffered. He's been a joy every day I've had him.

Oh!!! hes so sweet!!!! Lucky Guy :) Murphy is a rescue too- he was on the Kill floor here in Chicago. No one wanted him- can you believe that??? hes such a sweet boy

alittlelight

Shiny_Rock
Premium
A BIG thank you to everyone who replied. SparkleC, your post was SO helpful — and your ring is gorgeous and your pup is everything :). I am excited to start my sapphire journey. I will definitely need to keep Inken in mind.

SparkleC

Shiny_Rock
A BIG thank you to everyone who replied. SparkleC, your post was SO helpful — and your ring is gorgeous and your pup is everything :). I am excited to start my sapphire journey. I will definitely need to keep Inken in mind.

Sorry for the thread jack! You know how folks are about their pups! I'm really excited for you. And can't wait to hear all about your sapphire and see pictures! Thank you for your kind words...I think I love my ring more every day! =)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results