shape
carat
color
clarity

Help ease my mind on my diamond purchase...

Gnoble

Rough_Rock
Ok so let me start by saying I'm a bit OCD on the diamond buying process. A few months ago my beloved engagement ring was stolen from our home by workers working on some punch list items. It was pretty traumatic. I have since been looking for a new engagement ring. I purchased one on a whim and very quickly returned it after brushing up on my 4 C's and educating myself. I made the dreaded mistake of buying from Jared (insert gasp, it's ok). After quickly realizing I paid way more than needed on a diamond with only a cut quality of good I ran back and returned it. After doing hours and hours and hours of research I stumbled upon the idea of buying online. I found a setting I really loved through Blue Nile and found what I hope is a great diamond. It's a 1.10 carat, GIA certified diamond. Excellent cut (I won't compromise cut) color I, VVS2, only possible downside is it had a strong blue flour. I paid around $4900 for the diamond. I have probably done more research on Flour than someone studying to be a gemologist right now and my head just continues to spin. The diamond seems to be beautiful. Under certain lights its absolutely gorgeous, crystal clear and can't even tell it's an I color the under more direct light it's not so great looking. It's like I can see little speckles inside of it like dust or something. I guess my question is how do you know if flour has a negative effect or not. Would it appear "milky" all the time or only in certain situations? I just need to make sure I don't need to go back to the drawing board before my 30 days is up. I am just so unsettled about this whole process. I'm going to try to upload a couple of images. Any thoughts are extremely helpful! I need to make a decision whether I'm sending this diamond back or keeping it.

_35873.jpg

_35874.jpg

_35875.jpg

_35876.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had the same experience with Blue Nile. When I got it reset, all those annoying dust particles disappeared. In my experience, BN settings are just horrible. There was a weird thing stuck on the prongs too. I would consider sending it back to return the setting and have them just send you the stone unset.

Gnoble

Rough_Rock
Wow really? I do really like the setting although it is difficult to fit a wedding band with so I'm going back and forth about it. The stone to me looks dirty is that what you mean? The problem with the setting is its hidden and you can't really get to the diamond to clean it. They have stopped selling this setting so I'm slightly afraid to let it go and not find anything I like as much again. I'm so unsettled about it. Thank you for your response. I honestly wish I wasn't worrying about it because I loved my first ring just fine and didn't have to worry about it because it's what my husband bought for me. But now that the ball is in my court I'm to OCD to not pick the perfect ring.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, it's one or the other. Sorry, I have no other suggestion. I tried to clean it all different ways but nothing really removed the spots. My theory is that the interior of the setting is unfinished and it's the reflection of the unfinished interior. Just my guess. Good luck. If it were me, I would go up the setting. Up to you. Maybe someone else has another suggestion. I personally like setting from over vendors a lot more. The work is much more delicate and fine. WF prongs are sharp and small. BGD bezels are fine and well made. Maybe you can consider those vendors.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can't get to the diamond underneath to clean it, then by all means return it. Seriously, you have to be able to brush a stone with a baby toothbrush or other small brush to get it clean. Since the stone is VVS, this has to be a cleaning issue. I don't think that it would have to do with the fluorescence, but the only way to be sure is to get the diamond out of that setting and clean it. I like fluorescence and have had a strong blue before myself.

Gnoble

Rough_Rock
Yeah I was surprised that you don't have a lot of access to the diamond. I'll attach a picture from the side where you can see the "basket" where the diamond sits. I'm thinking it might not be the best for cleaning. I did let it soak yesterday in Dawn and warm water and a baby tooth brush. I can't get at the entire diamond but it does seem better.

_35884.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results