shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Downselecting 3 JA Oval Diamonds

blink182_182

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I posted a recent thread about a JA Oval that I ended up returning within the grace period (it had all the right specs on paper but didn't sparkle like I wanted it to).

JA is giving me an opportunity to select 3 diamonds to view in person before purchasing and I wanted to ask for your help / opinions down selecting from the list below. What I've set my sights on is MMD 2-2.5 crt, good color (D, E, F), clarity VS1 / VVS2 or better, elongated at 1.45 ratio (some in the list are closer to 1.4), and a great cut with clear facets / great sparkle / low light leakage (I will ask JA for ASET images)

Appreciate your thoughts!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hi, B182.
Out of these, I would suggest the three HPHT options, since the CVD options appear quite grainy and hazy.

Here are some other HPHT ovals that appear crisp and bright, at least to my eyes:

(1.41:1)

(1.43:1)

(1.42:1)

(1.43:1)

(1.46:1)

(1.44:1)

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I have no idea how GIA gave the 2.12ct and 2.04 an F grade! They're rather warm. Of your other selected stones, I'm thinking the 2.09. The 2.15 has a clean mid section but super mush elsewhere so you're likely to really notice a bowtie.

Of @DejaWiz's list, I like the 2.18, 2.32 and 2.39 stones the most :)

When I pull the magnification back to the smallest (so closest to real life size), those stones have the most on/off happening to my eyes.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are they able to provide ASETs on any of the recommendations above?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Are they able to provide ASETs on any of the recommendations above?

JA won't be able to provide that since a majority of their inventory is off-site/virtual. For the small amount of diamonds that they do have in-house, they may be able to provide ASET, but likely only Ideal-Scope images.

blink182_182

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for the help in down selecting these stones. The JA process took some time to get the stones in but I was able to see them this week and narrowed it down to the following two:

They both looked great in person - I think the 2.18 had a bit more sparkle but it was hard to tell the difference between the two in person. I'm leaning towards the 2.39 given it's a 1.46 ratio and I'm particular to that. JA is also trying to get me an image (unclear if it will be ASET or IS) however they say this is not a regular request they approve anymore and this would be an exception from their end.

I have one more stone I am considering from a jeweler who is strictly working with MMD and vets all stones. The IS image is below - it's a CVD 2.13 ct (it has post growth treatment documented in the GIA cert) however the jeweler assured me the stone has been vetted and there is no visible stria / it's high quality.

Will keep everyone posted on where I land and thanks again for all the help.

blink182_182

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for the help in down selecting these stones. The JA process took some time to get the stones in but I was able to see them this week and narrowed it down to the following two:

They both looked great in person - I think the 2.18 had a bit more sparkle but it was hard to tell the difference between the two in person. I'm leaning towards the 2.39 given it's a 1.46 ratio and I'm particular to that. JA is also trying to get me an image (unclear if it will be ASET or IS) however they say this is not a regular request they approve anymore and this would be an exception from their end.

I have one more stone I am considering from a jeweler who is strictly working with MMD and vets all stones. The IS image is below - it's a CVD 2.13 ct (it has post growth treatment documented in the GIA cert) however the jeweler assured me the stone has been vetted and there is no visible stria / it's high quality.

Will keep everyone posted on where I land and thanks again for all the help.

IS Image.png

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I think either of the two JA stones would be lovely in real life. With both stones in hand, it's now probably more important to base your decision on what your eyes see rather than numbers and other stats. Ovals really are hard to pick so if you (being the person who is going to wear it) like the 2.39, go for it.

blink182_182

Rough_Rock
C92B8D62-0E81-429C-BEF1-594FE41B729D.jpeg

Attachments

• E668229A-B025-4E07-A8D8-780477C9C69B.jpeg
    E668229A-B025-4E07-A8D8-780477C9C69B.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 5

blink182_182

Rough_Rock
Hello all - I received ASET images from JA on the 2 stones that I down selected! Hurray!

Can you all please give me opinions on the above images? Much appreciated!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Since you mentioned that you like the ratio better on the 2 39ct, how are you feeling about it after putting eyes on it?

blink182_182

Rough_Rock
Since you mentioned that you like the ratio better on the 2 39ct, how are you feeling about it after putting eyes on it?

To my untrained eye the 2.39 looked good in the room - the 2.18 maybe had a bit more sparkle / iciness to it but it was very hard for me to tell the difference side by side. There was a third diamond in the room which was lacking and had the mushiness and that was clear. So I'm inclined to move forward with the 2.39.

Anything in the 2.39 ASET Image look concerning to you?

1651071214685.png

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
To my untrained eye the 2.39 looked good in the room - the 2.18 maybe had a bit more sparkle / iciness to it but it was very hard for me to tell the difference side by side. There was a third diamond in the room which was lacking and had the mushiness and that was clear. So I'm inclined to move forward with the 2.39.

Anything in the 2.39 ASET Image look concerning to you?

1651071214685.png

I don't think the ASET image was taken properly, but what it does show looks great.

Karl_K, Garry H (Cut Nut), or anyone else versed with oval diamond ASET what do you think?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't think the ASET image was taken properly, but what it does show looks great.

Karl_K, Garry H (Cut Nut), or anyone else versed with oval diamond ASET what do you think?
Its good enough, I think the girdle plane is not in the right place and the backlight a bit bright but hard to say for sure.
Given that, its what I would consider somewhat above average for a crushed ice looking oval.
Which would also explain the difference noted in the number of sparkles.
Viewing it in as many lighting conditions as possible within the return period is recommended.

blink182_182

Rough_Rock
Its good enough, I think the girdle plane is not in the right place and the backlight a bit bright but hard to say for sure.
Given that, its what I would consider somewhat above average for a crushed ice looking oval.
Which would also explain the difference noted in the number of sparkles.
Viewing it in as many lighting conditions as possible within the return period is recommended.

Thanks Karl & DejaWiz - somewhat above average doesn't sounds like it's a "diamond in the rough" did you have any perspectives on the IS Image I shared above (re-posted it below) IMG_6523.jpg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
IS image is not correctly taken and is not helpful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results