shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Double Prong Setting (for security)

CDCdfw

Rough_Rock
Hello!

I am in the process of resetting my elongated old mine diamond to double prongs for more security. The single prongs came loose fairly easily, and due to the curved corners, multiple jewelers advised that double prongs would add more security. I thought this was straightforward and there was only one way it could be achieved, but turning out to have a lot of nuance!

The first CAD shows the prongs essentially as one thick prong - initially, it seemed like it was there for show, not for function. I was expecting the prongs to "hug" each corner, to really hold the stone in place.

Looking for help to determine if any of these stand out as a "safer" option. If none are "safer", which is less offensive :)My stone is already out of the original setting in their possession, deposit paid -so no going back now.

0) Original setting, single prongs
1) First CAD, seemed to me like one thick prong, but maybe this is the one after all?
2) Second CAD, asked them to widen prongs at top so it would "hug" corner - consequence of that is that it created a gap where you can see the basket in between
3) Third CAD, asked them to "fill in" the gap, try to make prong "hug" more - now it looks bowlegged

We then asked if they could keep prongs parallel since that seemed to look better, while still "filling" the gap in between the two prongs that exposed the basket. Their response: "The reason that the prongs aren't parallel is because we had to close the gap. We aren't able to have the prongs be parallel while also having a gap. Since the gap is filled in along the gallery rail, the only way to create the gap again by the prongs is to tilt them outward at the top. Otherwise, we would have to make it more metal heavy along the gallery rail so that we can thin it out to a safe size at the prongs to allow for a gap." I understand perhaps in a CAD this can't be achieved, but thought that human artistry and the fact that metal is mailable might have come into play.

Attachments

• 0. Top.JPG
    0. Top.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 1. Top.jpeg
    1. Top.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 1. Side.jpeg
    1. Side.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 1. Back.jpeg
    1. Back.jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 1. Angle.jpeg
    1. Angle.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 2. Top.jpeg
    2. Top.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 2. Side.jpeg
    2. Side.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 2. Back.jpeg
    2. Back.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 2. Angle.jpeg
    2. Angle.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 2. Under.jpeg
    2. Under.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 3. Top.jpeg
    3. Top.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 3. Side.jpeg
    3. Side.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 3. Back.jpeg
    3. Back.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 22
  • 3. Angle.jpeg
    3. Angle.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 24
  • 3. Under.jpeg
    3. Under.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 30

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
CAD always looks "chunkier" than reality. I like the first one. In any of these, you have plenty of prongs to hold the diamond in place. Have them checked periodically, and keep the stone insured. The 3rd try is not my personal favorite, but this is your ring and should be how you like.

Maybe you can find some double prong pics on PS to help you decide?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also prefer the first one. I'm good with the second one also. Do not like the third option.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You want the double prongs to be separated, but you don’t want any gap to be visible between the prongs, but you also don’t want the prongs to be curved, but you also don’t want bulky prongs - this isn’t a question of human artistry or malleable materials, it’s a matter of the design features you want being literally physically impossible to combine?

Do you have any photos or even sketches of something you have in mind that solves for all of your asks?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought this was straightforward and there was only one way it could be achieved, but turning out to have a lot of nuance!

I understand perhaps in a CAD this can't be achieved, but thought that human artistry and the fact that metal is mailable might have come into play.

This is where you look at your jewelers previous projects, find one that speaks to you and ask them to do whatever they need to do to replicate that look and not be vested in the cad details.

Once theres a discord between your vision and the jeweler telling you their restraints of doing so
It’s really really hard to get what you envision. Imo.

Move to someone else who’s already done your vision, or go towards what vision your jeweler is comfortable with.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For someone interested in security of the diamond, the real weakness in the design is the single narrow attachment of the entire setting on the shank. This a by far the weak link in your security desires. Spreading the load of stress away from one attached central point would vastly increase the security of the entire top of the ring. No one will see a couple small, but robust additional wires from the bottom outer edge of the setting down to the shank going next to the current joining area which would make security a lot stronger.

With twin prongs to hold a rounded stone, you need some space between the prongs to lock the stone in place. You can have the prongs side by side if the corner is a 90 degree point, but the curved edge requires broad coverage.

Good luck with the outcome.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results