shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Does this 3.2 carat Old Euro have a fish eye?

OldEuroFan123

Rough_Rock
My husband is gifting me a new ring for our upcoming anniversary. I have always loved Old Euros. My ideal specs are 3+ carats, D to H color, Ex symmetry, Ex polish, and VS2 or better. I provided my specs to our longtime jeweler (who is not an antique diamond expert) and he found a stone that met all of my requirements on paper. I was so excited to see it in person, but something seems off. I love the size and color and fire dispersing from the crown. But, the flower pattern under the table occasionally goes dark (see images below). Is this a fish eye? Or some other flaw due to poor cut? My jeweler and husband think the stone is beautiful. Am I crazy? Image.jpeg Image.jpeg Image.jpeg Image.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately this isn't a stone I would choose. The "petals" in the middle seem to all go dark at once, which is creating the look you don't like. I wouldn't choose this one if I were you

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
If you see it and it bugs you now, it will always be like that. If you're fine with that, great! You're in the position to just keep looking though without having to settle, so might as well (unless you're happy with it).

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The dark center would bother me.

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The stone looks dead in the middle.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Some people might like it but if you want a stone where the center does not go dark all at once then this stone is not for you.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can do much better - that centre is so dark!
Look at Distinctive Gem if you want old cut style with ideal light return. They do lab growns too.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Echoing everyone, this is not for you. I would expand a little on the color, it will open up a whole wide world of stones. Antiques benefit from a little color for the pastel flash!
There are also many Instagram well established vendors with B&M and other online presence.
People also really like Alex Park, though you'd have to inquire as to the next batch he cuts. They go fast. Really fast.

OldEuroFan123

Rough_Rock
Echoing everyone, this is not for you. I would expand a little on the color, it will open up a whole wide world of stones. Antiques benefit from a little color for the pastel flash!
There are also many Instagram well established vendors with B&M and other online presence.
People also really like Alex Park, though you'd have to inquire as to the next batch he cuts. They go fast. Really fast.

I appreciate everyone’s replies- I feel better passing on this stone. It does seem like Alex Park and Distinctive Gems have a nice selection of what I’m looking for, but buying from an online dealer without seeing it in person first makes me a little nervous- what happens if I purchase online and the stone isn’t what I want?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I appreciate everyone’s replies- I feel better passing on this stone. It does seem like Alex Park and Distinctive Gems have a nice selection of what I’m looking for, but buying from an online dealer without seeing it in person first makes me a little nervous- what happens if I purchase online and the stone isn’t what I want?

Ask (and look on website) for their return policy. At the least, it’ll cost you shipping + insurance both ways to see in person.

You can see close to the same thing, if not exact, on a few from DG’s website current listed non boutique branded lab grown OEC stock. I do- however- think it may be possible that those are not actually like that at arms length (like the one you’ve shown seems to be). Maybe it’s only when right up close to your head or next to a black camera. Maybe. I’m curious. But not overly optimistic about it. I think what you’ve pictured isn’t that uncommon with newly cut OEC.
You can ask about it showing up at arms length,, but don’t know if a sales person would be keen to answer it the way we would want it to be.

Happy hunting!

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You should always ask about the return policy. Alex parks stuff seems super fast and I'm not sure he has a return policy, but DG definitely does.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Too close to modern proportions with large tables, shallower crown height, and shallow overall depth is what a lot of the OEC lab diamonds seem to be.

OldEuroFan123

Rough_Rock

I love this stone and reached out to Alex Park- it's still available! I also checked DG's website and found the stone pictured below. They are priced similarly and have very similar specs. How do people choose a stone without seeing it in person? Any thoughts on the specs below?

AP diamond: 3.03 carats, E, VS1, Symmetry- Very Good, Polish- Good, Table-49.5%, Depth- 64.6%

DG diamond: 2.96 carats, F, VVS1, Symmetry- Ex, Polish- Ex, Table- 52%, Depth- 63%

DG.JPG

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this stone and reached out to Alex Park- it's still available! I also checked DG's website and found the stone pictured below. They are priced similarly and have very similar specs. How do people choose a stone without seeing it in person? Any thoughts on the specs below?

AP diamond: 3.03 carats, E, VS1, Symmetry- Very Good, Polish- Good, Table-49.5%, Depth- 64.6%

DG diamond: 2.96 carats, F, VVS1, Symmetry- Ex, Polish- Ex, Table- 52%, Depth- 63%

DG.JPG

Distinctive gems has a return policy but I'm not sure about AP.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results